Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Strange oddity. Bike stalls when riding and won't restart  (Read 1858 times)

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
Re: Strange oddity. Bike stalls when riding and won't restart
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2021, 05:50:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by benebob [+]
Know any way to check it for intermittent rather than throwing a new part at it?
You could test the CKP resistance -- 240 ohms +/- 10% @ 20*C.

Wouldnt it send a code if it was bad...?
P-code -- P0335, Crankshaft position sensor circuit fault.

A year or-so ago my Tiger800 had a spat of similar intermittent dieing and not re-starting (but, cranking). It would, eventually re-start -- until, one day, it didn't (and I had to fix it). My fault was an insecure electrical plug-in at the fuel pump -- attached - but not fully secured (partial/intermittent connectivity).
But, as you say, you know your fuel pump is working...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 05:56:59 PM by AvgBear »
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 13 800 ABS
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2021, 06:12:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
You could test the CKP resistance -- 240 ohms +/- 10% @ 20*C.
P-code -- P0335, Crankshaft position sensor circuit fault.

A year or-so ago my Tiger800 had a spat of similar intermittent dieing and not re-starting (but, cranking). It would, eventually re-start -- until, one day, it didn't (and I had to fix it). My fault was an insecure electrical plug-in at the fuel pump -- attached - but not fully secured (partial/intermittent connectivity).
But, as you say, you know your fuel pump is working...

Yeah and I have zero codes active or stored in there so it makes it tough to track down.  Still trying to get ideas as tearing down the tank is a PITA.  Just adjusted my himalayan valves in 15 minutes including removing the tank.  Gotta love simple sometimes.  Keep ideas coming please.  Appreciate the help!  Winter is coming and the Guzzi goes away so like to have 2 bikes to ride.

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2021, 08:09:10 PM »
Well I may have found it.  What is under the middle throttle body?  Is that the coolant temp sensor?  Goes into the cylinder pretty much dead center.  Has a hose beside it.  Looks like the connector is held on via a metal u clip.  If I jiggle the wires just right when running it sometimes will shut off and not give a CEL. 

Guess someone wanted me to pull apart the bike and balance my throttle bodies anyways that last I checked a month after doing a 12k service they were slightly out.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 08:36:26 PM by benebob »

Offline chuckxc

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2021, 11:00:33 PM »

Well I may have found it.  What is under the middle throttle body?  Is that the coolant temp sensor?  Goes into the cylinder pretty much dead center.  Has a hose beside it.  Looks like the connector is held on via a metal u clip.  If I jiggle the wires just right when running it sometimes will shut off and not give a CEL. 

Guess someone wanted me to pull apart the bike and balance my throttle bodies anyways that last I checked a month after doing a 12k service they were slightly out.

That connector is the coolant temperature sensor.
300-400 ohm warm, 8.5 to 10.25 k-ohm cold engine.
Fault code P0118.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2021, 11:14:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
That connector is the coolant temperature sensor.
300-400 ohm warm, 8.5 to 10.25 k-ohm cold engine.
Fault code P0118.

Yeah one would think it would throw a code but I guess not.  Thinking the sensor is fine as it is only a couple years old.  Guessing there is an issue with the connector or the wiring itself.

Offline chuckxc

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2021, 11:45:11 PM »
Yeah one would think it would throw a code but I guess not.  Thinking the sensor is fine as it is only a couple years old.  Guessing there is an issue with the connector or the wiring itself.

Except I wouldn't think a faulty coolant temperature sensor is enough to kill the engine. Even a fault to ground in the connector or wiring shouldn't cause an engine to stop.

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2021, 11:52:38 PM »
Except I wouldn't think a faulty coolant temperature sensor is enough to kill the engine. Even a fault to ground in the connector or wiring shouldn't cause an engine to stop.

Moved it around and all 6 times it died.  Tried moving around the rest of the harness at the sensors I could get to and nodda.   I kept thinking it was possibly the TPS sensor harness causing it but once I isolated it 95 percent sure it is the coolant temp harness. 

Took it out for a ride and nothing but will likely ride it around to see if it comes back and if it does move the harness and see if it starts.

Offline chuckxc

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2021, 11:53:56 PM »
Please explain further.  My understanding is that if the engine cranks then the side stand switch, neutral switch and clutch switch are working as if any of those are in the wrong position or not working you won't get any cranking when you push start.

Don't forget about the Neutral interlock. The starter will still crank if the side stand is down, clutch in and bike in Neutral.
I'm thinking your intermittent engine failure occurs when in gear?

Offline chuckxc

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2021, 11:56:54 PM »

Moved it around and all 6 times it died.  Tried moving around the rest of the harness at the sensors I could get to and nodda.   I kept thinking it was possibly the TPS sensor harness causing it but once I isolated it 95 percent sure it is the coolant temp harness. 

Took it out for a ride and nothing but will likely ride it around to see if it comes back and if it does move the harness and see if it starts.

If you unplug  the temp sensor connector from the engine will the engine run?
That is, does the ECM need a resistance from the sensor to operate, albeit poorly? Or is there in fact a problem in the harness? unplugging should give you some idea.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 11:59:10 PM by chuckxc »

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2021, 12:01:40 AM »
Don't forget about the Neutral interlock. The starter will still crank if the side stand is down, clutch in and bike in Neutral.
I'm thinking your intermittent engine failure occurs when in gear?

One time yes one time no (was sitting at a light and I sit in neutral) and today it was in neutral when I jiggled the harness connectors starting on that TPS side.    Died immediately each time immediately. 

No chance at getting that harness connector off without removing the damn tank and airbox although I did think about cutting the wires back further to see.

Recent Topics