Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front Accessory Socket Un-Switched  (Read 460 times)

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Front Accessory Socket Un-Switched
« on: October 07, 2021, 09:07:19 AM »
I invested just over 10 in a USB adaptor with voltage display and fitted it into the front accessory socket yesterday - the idea was to allow me to be able to check the R/R output as I rode along in case this developed an over-voltage problem and fried the bike's electronics. Not a likely scenario but, for 10, I thought it worth fitting to the bike.

The problem I then realised is that the front accessory socket (and the 2 rear ones) have permanent lives which means that, if I leave the USB adaptor fitted, it will permanently on. Unfortunately, its current draw is 35 mA and that is enough to discharge the battery at a higher rate than I would like (roughly 1 Ah per week).

I could simply plug in the adaptor only when I used the bike but, instead, I am going to look into wiring up the front accessory socket to a switched live possibly from one side of the horn, depending on how difficult it is to get at the wiring. That way, the adaptor will only power up when the ignition is on. Not sure why Triumph didn't make this socket switched in the first place but can't think of any downside to making the change :084:
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
Re: Front Accessory Socket Un-Switched
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 10:53:50 AM »
There are DIN or Hella fit USB sockets that dont draw power when the ignition is off. One of those may be easier and cheaper in the long run than retiring the bike.

Offline Zaphod

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC, Fazer 600
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 11:33:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
Not sure why Triumph didn't make this socket switched in the first place

I'm glad it is permanently live, makes plugging my battery tender in very easy  :150: :150:

I have a wee voltmeter on a switched live, along with an aftermarket TPMS and my satnav mount, so that the socket remains for whatever I may want to plug in, and I don't need to think about them. They're on when I need them to be and off otherwise.

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 01:37:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
There are DIN or Hella fit USB sockets that dont draw power when the ignition is off. One of those may be easier and cheaper in the long run than retiring the bike.
I was only after the voltage display and assume it is this function that is drawing the current rather than the 2 x USB sockets which I have no use for. I have two other rear accessory sockets on the bike for other accessories if needed and already use one of these for my intelligent battery charger.

It's no great difficulty for me to rewire the front accessory socket to make this a switched supply and I was just trying to make sure I was not overlooking something that would stop me doing this. One possible reason is the bike's fusing arrangement (15A fuse for accessories) since the horn supply that I may tap into is only covered by a 10A fuse. This may stop me plugging in my electrically heated waistcoat (if I had one) to the front socket but I don't think that would be too much of a problem!
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Recent Topics