Out and About > Tiger Tails - Touring Chat and Ride Reports

Camping with two bob stuff

(1/3) > >>

CrazyL:
Hey guys

Not posted on this forum for a while as life often gets in the way.  Alas.  Went for a bimble out on my own last month, up to the Cotswolds to see a relative.  Took a tent too, so first time camping on my own.  Also, some lesson learned while using, or attempting to use, cheap stuff. 

See how I got on here: 

P.S: I'm not a big camper

K1W1:
Interesting video. Looks like the trip worked out well in the end.
Some things to think about in no particular order.
Cheap gear works well until it doesnít. The more you camp the more likely the doesnít will happen.
The fuel canister you were using was large enough to last you several years. Get one that is about a quarter of the size and save the weight and volume. Tip. Weigh the fuel canister when new and write the weight on the bottom with a marker pen. Before each trip weigh the canister to confirm you have enough fuel to last the trip. Donít forget to allow for the weight of the canister.
Closed cell sleeping mats are great - for teenagers. Get yourself an insulated inflatable mat from somebody like Exped. It will take up less room in your panniers and weigh less and you will get a good nights sleep especially with the light weight sleeping bag you have. Tip. Never inflate a sleeping mat by blowing into it with your mouth. All you will do is breath moist air into the mat that will destroy the inner and make it smell. Exped have device called a Snozzle. Other manufacturers have similar products. Use it.
First thing in the morning if it is not raining take the fly off the tent and hang it inside out over something (bike if itís dry or string a line between two uprights using paracord. The fly will never dry out fitted to the tent as you discovered (think about it and why). Hanging it inside out in the breeze and or sun will help dry it while you make breakfast and pack up.  The tent will also air and dry and the same time. Worst case have a separate dry bag for the fly so you donít pack a soaking wet fly with a relatively dry inner. All that will do is mean you have a soaking wet inner the next night.
You probably only need one screw for the stand foot but that is a good idea. A side stand extender is better. Tip. If you are going to use the plastic stand foot tie some cord to it and loop the cord around the clutch lever when the foot is being used. That way you can use the cord to reel in the foot AND you are less likely to drive off and forget it.
One more thing. When you camp in a tent there are always noises at night. Itís nothing to do with hedgerows. Camp enough and you will get used to them.

CrazyL:
Originally Posted by K1W1 Interesting video. Looks like the trip worked out well in the end.
Some things to think about in no particular order.
Cheap gear works well until it doesnít. The more you camp the more likely the doesnít will happen.
The fuel canister you were using was large enough to last you several years. Get one that is about a quarter of the size and save the weight and volume. Tip. Weigh the fuel canister when new and write the weight on the bottom with a marker pen. Before each trip weigh the canister to confirm you have enough fuel to last the trip. Donít forget to allow for the weight of the canister.
Closed cell sleeping mats are great - for teenagers. Get yourself an insulated inflatable mat from somebody like Exped. It will take up less room in your panniers and weigh less and you will get a good nights sleep especially with the light weight sleeping bag you have. Tip. Never inflate a sleeping mat by blowing into it with your mouth. All you will do is breath moist air into the mat that will destroy the inner and make it smell. Exped have device called a Snozzle. Other manufacturers have similar products. Use it.
First thing in the morning if it is not raining take the fly off the tent and hang it inside out over something (bike if itís dry or string a line between two uprights using paracord. The fly will never dry out fitted to the tent as you discovered (think about it and why). Hanging it inside out in the breeze and or sun will help dry it while you make breakfast and pack up.  The tent will also air and dry and the same time. Worst case have a separate dry bag for the fly so you donít pack a soaking wet fly with a relatively dry inner. All that will do is mean you have a soaking wet inner the next night.
You probably only need one screw for the stand foot but that is a good idea. A side stand extender is better. Tip. If you are going to use the plastic stand foot tie some cord to it and loop the cord around the clutch lever when the foot is being used. That way you can use the cord to reel in the foot AND you are less likely to drive off and forget it.
One more thing. When you camp in a tent there are always noises at night. Itís nothing to do with hedgerows. Camp enough and you will get used to them.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, most of what you say is basically what I thought after the fact.  I'm not a big camper, lol.  Seriously though, I enjoyed myself, and I know cheap stuff is only fine as long as it works, which is always a gamble as to how long that is.  I suppose that add some level of excitement, or frustration, depending what the item is of course.

It's the 2nd time I've used that gas cannister, it lasted Friday to Sunday for the wife and I when we did the ABR festival this year, so still kind of feeling my feet as to how much I use and when.  I do have one half the size, and I had already thought of weighing it etc.
Good tip on the fly sheet, cheers.  Will bear that in mind, and get a dry bag too, lol.

K1W1:
The main thing is that you actually get out there and enjoy yourself. There will be ups and downs but it is all part of the experience. Keep smiling and when things go wrong just know that next time it will be better.

Paulhere:
Most important piece of kit is a wee bottle so you don't need to get out in the night when it's cold & wet. I have a 2L catering size HP sauce bottle, it has a good 2" wide neck. After a few beers I often fill it overnight.

You also need a tent tall enough that you can kneel up for taking said wee, without your head touching the roof 'cos it'll then let rain in.

Not worth spending a lot on kit unless like me, you're going to do 40-50 nights a year. Not happened recently, only 18 nights this year & 13 last year, all due to the Covid. Many campsites didn't want us tent folk without own sanatory facilities.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version