Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Failed (and repaired) TomTom Rider 400  (Read 455 times)

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
Failed (and repaired) TomTom Rider 400
« on: October 19, 2021, 04:22:39 AM »
My TomTom 400 is about 8 years old and has been used on several bikes in temperatures ranging from 0C to 45C and in conditions ranging from blinding sun to torrential tropical rain and snow and sleet. Overall it has given good service with the exception of it misting up after use in rain (common and hold that thought). Recently it has been behaving badly and not charging when on the bike cradle then dying when the battery runs out but it will charge from USB. After doing the obvious and confirming that the cradle terminal had power I was tossing up whether to go the cheap route and use USB on the bike or convincing SWMBO that I "had" to upgrade to a lovely new Garmin Zumo XT.
I had convinced myself that the Zumo XT was the only "real" option and was planning a purchase strategy when I was having a conversation with a friend who simply said check the battery its probably u/s. That was the Duh and head slapping moment and 8 year old Lithium battery will obviously be u/s.
It appears that the standard TomTom 400 battery (VF3W) is not available but there is a smaller capacity VF3A commonly available. As I run the GPS in the cradle all the time battery life is really not an issue.
A quick Google and I found a YouTube video on how to disassemble the TomTom so I ordered a VF3A battery and when it arrived I took the GPS apart and replaced the OEM battery with the new one. Remember that misting issue above? The YouTube video stresses the point of not losing the little blue O rings that seal around the screws that hold the GPS case together and provide weather sealing. Guess what? One of mine was missing from the factory. Maybe that is the cause of the misting issue for many people. After I reassembled the GPS I have been for several rides and the unit works perfectly so far. I can see that if I put the GPS in the cradle it charges the battery as I ride so that is a win all around. Now I know it works I will take it apart again and seal the edges of the cases and the screw holes with silicone sealant.
Total cost - AUD$35.00 inc postage (19).
Taking the GPS apart is dead easy so if anybody else has a Rider 400 that is a few years old and playing up maybe get the jewelers screwdrivers out and source a new battery and see what happens.

Offline GeoffS

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC - Green/Black
Re: Failed (and repaired) TomTom Rider 400
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 09:56:48 AM »
Good one K1W1
I assume that SWMBO is also your financial manager, and if thats the case youve managed to pull off a brilliant bit of Future Bargaining Power here.
If it was agreed that you needed a new XT, and then you didnt get it, and miraculously repaired your existing unit at a fraction of the cost of a new one, then woohoo, it opens all kinds of doors, You know the money that I saved by not having to buy a new sat nav, well I might get myself a new.(the list is endless)!
Absolutely brilliant; I raise my hat to you sir.
Remember, you cant take it with you.
Cheers
Geoff
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Some poems rhyme,
But this one doesnt.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 05:30:51 PM »
I had to do the same with mine a little while ago. It's also a complete pig to update, more than half the time it finishes up saying "checking" for 24 hours before I give up and start again. There's assorted things you can do to try to encourage it to work - last time I tried to update it, they didn't, and after two or three days of trying to get it updated, I gave up. Then a few days after that, I plugged it into the laptop and left it plugged in, and somewhat over a day later it suddenly burst into life and updated itself.

It's a good satnav, but TomTom's software is appalling. If I have to get another satnav, it'll be a Garmin.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline fastnfat

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT Pro
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 10:33:59 AM »
Just recently changed from a TomTom Rider 550 to a Zumo XT and well worth paying the extra to change.
Tiger 900 GT Pro
Ducati Monster 1100 EVO

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 10:59:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by GeoffS [+]
Good one K1W1
I assume that SWMBO is also your financial manager, and if thats the case youve managed to pull off a brilliant bit of Future Bargaining Power here.

She brought herself a Aud$1000.00 Schubeth helmet last week. I have some credits but a new GPS is not a priority the one I have has up to date maps and as long as it continues to work Ill keep using it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 11:01:37 AM by K1W1 »

Recent Topics