Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Airtight sealing on XCA front spoke wheel  (Read 1573 times)

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
Re: Airtight sealing on XCA front spoke wheel
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2021, 01:45:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by Q [+]
I ride dirt extensively and I never air the tyres down - mainly to protect the rims with the sidewalls of the 50/50 tyres I use but also because I run out of talent long before the road runs out of track or gorilla snot
Well said.
A note to interested parties: there may be quite limited selection of tubeless 21" tires -- especially for off-road use. Some 50/50, but the selection is greatly reduced (if any?) for more aggressive off-road tread.
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline AKTiger123

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2021, 09:57:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by dragon88 [+]
Just because a rim has been converted to be tubeless doesn't mean you cant run a tube.
Agreed,  but Central wheels wont do the conversion without the deeper middle section and bead which the XCA OEM wheels don't have as the sealing process takes up some room when applied,  and running a tubeless tire without the bead is a safety compromise.  I currently run Tube/Tubeless tyres (with a tube) on my front and rear using Avon AV53/AV54 nice tyre came new on the bike when i bought it.

Online Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2021, 05:29:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by AKTiger123 [+]
Agreed, 

also carry a 21" tube under the tailpiece cover as a work-around should I damage either rim with a smiley (that I can't fix with a rock) or if the front should come off the rim

the 21" will work on the front and rear to get me home though I'm not looking forward to getting those hard-shoulder 50/50s off/on the rim in the middle of the bush
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline AKTiger123

• Tiger Member
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2021, 01:20:13 PM »
Hi all - quick update  - this has arrived and it looks great and the build quality is excellent - will get this on the bike and let you know how it feels  - will take regular tre pressure reads over the coming weeks / months and report back if any leaks! 

So this had
a new rim with safety bead
Stainless spokes with Brass nipples
Airtight sealed
Wheel build
re-fit tyre (old one) and balance
postage and packaging  - (UK to UK)

Cost 480 - all in  - i know this is a lot of money and is it worth it?  well to me it is for the pure safety it offers and the ease of getting a potential puncture repaired.  will report back soon.

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2021, 07:04:31 PM »
Central Wheel always do a good job! Did you get the rear wheel done as well?
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline AKTiger123

• Tiger Member
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2021, 12:05:28 PM »
No just the front - will look to get the back wheel done in 2022 - once the bank balance has recovered,  back is much cheaper.

130.00 to be converted to tubeless
7.50 for tyre removal and refitting
and 20 - Postage - if i have it respoked  - that is another 160 for stainless spokes.  But maybe worth doing as respoking once sealed would undo the sealing process.

Offline AKTiger123

• Tiger Member
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2021, 01:28:13 PM »
Hi update on this and then i will leave it well alone - installed the wheel and been out on a few rides - wheel feels great and it feels as if it turns in better to corners more of a rounded experience,  tyres before were never under inflated,  it just feels more rounded and smooth.

No pressure loss and at speed no wheel balancing issues (wobble).  very pleased.

Recent Topics