Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Advice on Touratech Seat Fitment (2013 T800 XC)  (Read 289 times)

Offline Poacher67

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2013 800 XC ABS
Advice on Touratech Seat Fitment (2013 T800 XC)
« on: October 20, 2021, 08:15:45 PM »
After a long search I've managed to find myself a good used standard Touratech seat for my 2013 Tiger 800 XC  :046:(came off a 2014 XC) - I swapped the fittings from my standard OE seat without a problem and it fitted well to the bike but I have an unexpected problem.. The 'ears' that fit around the sides of the tank are splayed apart far too wide and the whole seat is about 10mm short of the tank at the front ? (the original OE seat fitted snugly up to the tank all round) This may not seem too much of a problem but it's a worry in the rain or when I wash it due to the probable water ingress - I've tried the seat in every height position and combination I can but it is always the same.. I wondered if it had been used on something else but the seller assures me it hasn't, it shows no sign of any 'after purchase' modification and it has the original makers stock label on the base clearly stating it is for an 800 XC.. As I said above, it fits to the bike perfectly but I'm hoping someone can offer some advice or info as to why it's 10mm short at the front ? - As usual, all advice gratefully received !!  :183:

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
Re: Advice on Touratech Seat Fitment (2013 T800 XC)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 11:12:39 AM »
The original Touratech seat (which sounds like the one you have) was made the same as a standard seat and does fit poorly to the tank with as you say a big gap, I had one the same  :151:

Touratech changed the design (very slightly) and fitted a skirt to the front of the seat to fill the gap. Basically it was just another bit of seat fabric stapled to the front area which hides the large gap. I thought it was pretty poor for an expensive item. I have looked for images to show this but can't find anything.

I would suspect the seat base moulding made by Kahedo (they make all Touratech seats) is just a little short for a perfect fit and this is just there way of rectifying the fault. Not ideal.

I complained to Touratech and after quite a bit of haggling the did agree to send me a new seat (even though I had bought it second hand and not from them). You could try contacting Touratech and see if they will do anything for you, they might take your seat back and have the skirt attached but don't hold your breath  :173:

Offline Poacher67

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2013 800 XC ABS
Re: Advice on Touratech Seat Fitment (2013 T800 XC)
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 05:17:52 PM »
Thanks for the info - Now I know it's not a duff seat after all which is a relief ! - I doubt Touratech would play ball now because they seem to have stopped supplying/making the standard seat and only do the more expensive 'DriRide' version (although they still do the standard pillion seat) and I don't reckon they'll go for giving me an upgrade just because I don't like the gap !
I've had a bit of a brainwave actually, you can buy closed-cell foam sheet in various thicknesses and in black too so I think I might get some about 12mm (10mm gap so 12mm should give me a good snug fit ?..) and glue a wide strip of it to the front edge of the seat with the mighty evo-stik Time Bond. If I'm careful it should look OK and do the trick, there's no weight on it (my vast bulk being held up by the base fittings..) so the glue really only has to hold it in place and the foam should do a better job of keeping the water out than Touratech's vinyl flap solution - What do you think ?...
As for the over-wide front 'ears'... I had thought about gently heating the base with a hot air gun and holding the tips together until it cools which might bring them in a bit but I think I'll wait until after I've tried the foam fix because the heating might damage the foam above the base.. Once again, thanks for the advice, it's been a great help..  :152:  :031:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch