Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bridgestone A40 Tyres vs Anakee 3's - Cost dilemma  (Read 659 times)

Online sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
Bridgestone A40 Tyres vs Anakee 3's - Cost dilemma
« on: October 24, 2021, 05:05:24 PM »
I've been running Michelin Anakee 3's for a few years and think they are a pretty good tyre, I did switch to Michelin Road 4's (when they were in fashion) but they didn't last as long and in my opinion didn't offer any (real world) extra grip over the Anakee's.

But I now seem to have a squared off front (not sure what has caused this, pressures have always been correct), back tyre is fine (not squared off), both were fitted at the same time approx 6,000 miles ago, the rear looks like it still has plenty of life left in it, and previously I've got around 10,000 mile out of a set.

My dilemma - Do I buy a new Anakee 3 front to match the rear, cost approx 100 + fitting (total about 120) or do I purchase a brand new pair of Bridgestone A40 tyres now on offer at 110 + fitting (total about 150).

The real question is what are the Bridgestone A40 tyres like? Yes they are now superseded by the A41's but how do they compare to the Anakee 3's?

At the end of the day I could have a complete new set of tyres for not much more than a single replacement, but would the A40's be a step backwards and would I regret this decision in the not to distant future.

Please don't tell me the Michelin 5's are brilliant and I should swap to this or that, it's basically a choice of sticking with a front replacement to match the rear or a new pair deal - And if anyone can come up with a pair deal as good as 110 for a different option please let me know.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
Re: Bridgestone A40 Tyres vs Anakee 3's - Cost dilemma
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 09:54:37 PM »
I would be checking the manufacture date of the A40s before installation. They may be cheap for a reason.

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Blue XRx (Gen2)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 10:24:05 PM »
 :0461:

Online markymark11

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015 - 800 XRX
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 07:54:47 AM »
I also agree - check the date. However - I had A40's on a Vstrom and although like you I would prefer Michelin Road 5's or Metz Roadtec 01's - at that price they are not that bad. They take a while to warm up but once warm you could scrape the pegs on a dry road no problem. They don't "wander" and stopping and wet grip were also pretty good once warm. Never tried Anakee's so can't comment but at the price I would go for new A40's if they are OK.

There are a lot of great tyres that have been superseded by new models, doesn't mean the old models are no longer any good. I saw a great deal on Michelin Pilot Road 2ct the other day - still a brilliant tyre in all conditions for 95hp bikes.

Online sezian

• Tiger Master
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 08:25:21 AM »
Does the manufacture date make a difference?

I can see if a tyre was made 30 or 40 years ago it might have problems with cracking etc but if a tyre was produced say 3 or 4 years ago what does it matter?

Is there some sort of shelf life / use by date for tyres  :187: :084: :187: :084:

Online Fazer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 09:05:25 AM »
Ive never seen any specific information about tyre life for motorcycles but the caravan industry recommends that tyres should be carefully and regularly inspected after 5 years and certainly replaced before they reach 7 years since manufacture.

The usage profile for caravan tyres is completely different to motorcycle tyres because they are generally under static load for extended periods while the caravan is stored and usually spend most of their life outside so also experience deterioration due to ultra violet sunlight exposure. By contrast, motorcycles are often kept indoors and, if the bike is on a centre stand, only the front tyre experiences any static load when in storage.

The OP is particularly asking about unused tyres that presumably have always been stored indoors so have never been loaded or exposed to uv light so will have experienced no deleterious effects due to those factors. The tyre industry certainly recommend that any tyres that are more than 10 years old should not be used so that seems the most sensible criterion to apply here.

I also saw that advert for Bridgestone A40s at 110 per pair and was tempted to buy them but Im currently running Road 5 Trails and dont want to sacrifice their performance for my next tyres. I ride approx 6000 miles per year and change tyres about every 18 months so unused A40s up to 5 years old would still give me a good margin to the 10 year life before I had to bin them. Someone who rides much less than that would need to be inspecting such tyres very carefully after maybe a couple of years on their bike.

EDIT - Ive just sent a message to the supplier of this tyre pair deal to enquire when they were manufactured. Ill update here with any response that I get.

SECOND EDIT - Ive had a quick response telling me that they cant give a manufacturing date for the actual tyres that I would get if I ordered a pair. That seems a reasonable statement. So Ive now asked them if they are heavily discounting them because they were manufactured some years ago. We await their second response.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 09:36:24 AM by Fazer »

Online sezian

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 09:46:26 AM »
I also wrote to ask about a manufacturing date and was told that as they sell hundreds of tyres it would not be possible to give a date of the tyres I got.

I was also told that they would not be selling tyre past there sell by date / shelf life date / use by date  :084: Whatever that is  :187:

So I can only assume they are a few years old (as they have now been superseded) but probably less than perhaps 5/6 years old.

Online Fazer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 09:57:38 AM »
Ive now had a second reply to my question asking if they are discounted because they were manufactured a few years ago. Here is their answer:

Yes this is why they are discounted, but they are within the shelf life.

According to the European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation (ETRTO), tyres are "new" for 5 years from the date of manufacture when stored in optimal conditions.

A tyre sold as a new product may be safely used for at least 5-6 years. Some sources indicate that the operational lifespan of a tyre may amount to even 10 years - with proper maintenance and storage, you can use your tyres longer.

It looks to me that they are saying the tyres were manufactured about 5 years ago and assuming theyve been correctly stored then they should be good for another 5 years. However, I would still recommend careful and regular inspection for any evidence of cracking, especially if they are still in use after more than 2 years.

Good luck.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 07:00:44 PM »
Fresh email today and M and P still offering those Bridgestone A40's at 110 for a pair if anyone interested. :027:

https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/110-80-r19-150-70-r17-a40-bridgestone-tyre-pair-k-680853-685292-b
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics