Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Changing your own tyres  (Read 1061 times)

Online sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
Changing your own tyres
« on: October 25, 2021, 04:29:15 PM »
Does anyone change there own tyres  :261:

I've been looking at various YouTube clips and looking at some of the kit I would need but I'm not sure how easy / hard this is :187:

Certainly a bead breaker is probably required and some decent tyre irons, but how easy is it to damage the rim or the paint and how much effort is required to actually prise the old tyre off and get a new hoop on.

If you are a home mechanic and do this sort of thing I would be interested in what you use and whether you think it's worth the effort.

I've been doing my own balancing for quite a few years but have always had tyres fitted at my local shop to a lose wheel, however it would be nice to be able to change tyres myself at home.

Offline barry.t100sr

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
Re: Changing your own tyres
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 05:42:19 PM »
I've thought about it Sez, but decided it's not worth the hassle.
By the time you get all the kit needed and struggle to swop the tyres and valves, and then find the correct weights to balance them, does it make sense ?..... unless you do really big miles ?

I suppose I'm lucky, I have a good fitter around the corner.  I order the tyres by 'phone and they are fitted to loose wheels the next day, balanced and with new valves for less than 20 each.
Two Tents
1965 T100SR
1991 Trophy 1200
2016 Tiger 800XR

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 06:27:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by sezian [+]
Does anyone change there own tyres  :261:
Yes, have done for years. Greg & Ming used to get their tyres delivered to my place and we'd have a tyre fitting session.

I bought a cheap car tyre fitting jig similar to this one... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SAUA42Q ...then I made an adjustable 3-pronged jig to fit onto it that supports and clamps the bike wheels. Take a look at the Sealey TC965 for a general idea. I also made my own version of the 'no scuff tire tool' (Google the name to see what I mean) to help getting the tyres on & off without marking the rims. Finished off with tyre soap, boxes of weights and a static balancer an we had everything we needed. There are some old photos onhere somewhere of the setup.

Breaking the bead using the above setup was the only point where we initially had to be careful not to damage the rims, but that was just because I was lazy in not modifying the jig to suit!

Technique is key and once you find what works for you it's not a difficult job. That said, fitting tubed KC60 Scouts to my 800XC was a pig to do on my own, mainly because I wasn't able to clamp the wheel tight enough.

Of course you can do it all with tyre levers and rim protectors. I keep a set of BeadPro levers / bead-breakers on the bike when touring for emergency use.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 06:53:59 PM »
I also change my own tires on the Roadie. Going to a dealer around here is expensive in two ways. You must purchase the tires from them at their price which is always a good bit more than a good buy on the internet. Labor runs about $40 each wheel. Add the premium you pay on the tires to the labor and you can cover the basic tools needed the first time.

I do use some very sturdy rim protectors, Motion Pro, I think. The videos featuring the zip-tie technique for pulling the beads together are useful especially on the front wheel that has a tire pressure monitor.

The job is still a wrestling match even with good tools so allow plenty of time. I would guess that it takes me less than half the time now than first job.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 10:23:29 PM »
I've changed literally hundreds of motorcycle tyres but these days why bother?
When I buy new tyres the tyre shop fits them to the rim for free if I take just the wheel in so I let them get their hands dirty. Unless you have multiple bikes or dedicated dirt bikes and you change tyres frequently there is no point on doing it yourself you would do it so infrequently that the investment in the equipment would not be justified and you would never get the experience required to become efficient.

Offline Phil_from_Derry

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 10:51:39 PM »
i'm also lucky with a local fitter 5 mins from the house and charges me a fiver to change a tyre, while i wait usually, unless he's very busy.
Never fancied it myself with the risk of damaging rims at some stage either breaking bead or levering off/on.

Online markymark11

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015 - 800 XRX
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 08:05:41 AM »
My local bike shop charges 10 per loose wheel, fitted and balanced. Drop off in morning collect afternoon. I usually buy the tyres online, (Oponeo or similar) remove the wheels in the morning, drop them off, collect later, and re-fit to bike.

Like you I have thought about it but as others have said - unless you are doing it regularly why bother with all the cost of the kit and the risk of damage. At 20 a go I can probably get 10 sets done before it is worth while buying all the kit and that is about 15 years riding for me before I break even  :001:

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 07:18:47 PM »
You guys are lucky in Switzerland costs the equivalent of 40 to mount tyres !

I'd love to do it myself but I've had badly the experience once, of a badly balanced tire,
I sure wouldn't want to try this myself !

Offline BurntEnds

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 11:38:35 PM »
I have done the tires on mine four times now. I use only the smaller motion pro tire irons and an inexpensive tire balancer. It is hard work, but saves me so much time and money doing it myself in the garage. The shops near me wanted $50+ (USD) to swap tires, per tire. I found that to be way too expensive. The tires I've swapped were considered "difficult" by many people and I agree. Difficult is not impossible though. The tires were K60, Mitas (all dakar version) E-10, E-07, E07+ and Pirelli Scorpion Rally. By far the hardest to mount was the Pirelli. The E-07 was very difficult to get a bead set on. I would not want to do a trailside removal with the E-07 because setting the bead with a little compressor would be taxing.

There's no glory in doing your own tires, but it's a skill I wanted to learn and have some competency at in emergencies. Having longer tire spoons would have made the job a lot easier. The Motion Pro "Trail Bead Buddy" or "Tire Bead Buddy" is great to have because it's like having a helper along with you. I like the smaller Motion Pro BeadPro tools for their lighter weight and compact size. They can fit in a tool bag. But you lose a bit of mechanical advantage over longer bead breakers and spoons.

I learned how to do the tires watching YouTube videos.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 06:48:18 PM »
...how easy is it to damage the rim or the paint and how much effort is required to actually prise the old tyre off and get a new hoop on.
Quite easy to damage, and in the case of cast rims w/tubeless, damage to the inner bead area can cause small pressure losses (in use).
Much effort required for modern tubeless tires when using hand tools.

...I would be interested in ... whether you think it's worth the effort.
I don't, generally, recommend folks changing tires at home -- unless you're really dedicated (?). I advise folks to have the big local dealer do it with all their modern - expensive - tools/machinery.

The exception being those with inner-tube equipped bikes (XCs) -- knowing how to fix a flat may be helpful for some who may be planning extended travels. If so?, practice at home first. For those with tubeless/cast wheels I recco sticky worms for flats.
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Recent Topics