Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 800 Idling Issue  (Read 688 times)

Offline jamesonhurst

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
Tiger 800 Idling Issue
« on: October 28, 2021, 07:03:05 PM »
Evening all,

I've got a 2012 Tiger 800XC with 22k miles which is pretty standard apart from an Arrow exhaust.

Over the past few days I've noticed a bit of an issue with it and looking for some help/thoughts/advice...

It starts fine and from cold where the revs rise and then drop as they should. Intermittently, the revs seem to drop below 1k and the engine sounds 'bogged down'. Closest similarity I can find is by comparing it to a bike with carbs being blocked (although obviously it doesn't have carbs)! A tug on the throttle will smooth it out and it then seems to ride fine until it intermittently happens again.

Thinking about it, I first noticed something like this a few months ago when it would stall occasionally at pull off from the lights unless it was given enough gas but I put this down to maybe a jetting issue with the exhaust but it didn't do it on the move as it does now.

I'll be honest in that it hasn't had a service in over a year/5k miles.

My initial thoughts are fuel filter and/or plugs but could it be bad fuel or valve clearances (although by the book these aren't due till 24k miles)?

Many thanks in advance!

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Re: Tiger 800 Idling Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 07:29:44 PM »
I would start by looking at the stepper motor used to control the idle speed. It can be tested using TuneECU and probably also using TigerTool but checking, cleaning and lubricating the motor shaft and linkages might cure the problem.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 07:51:07 PM »
Hi fellow Londoner. I too have a 2012 XC. Check the condition of the main fuse, under the battery, age of battery. I had a bad fuse holder ( corrosion from moisture)  and it manifested itself with intermittent stalling .
As said before check the inlet balance and the reset the idle speed/stepper motor.
Do you have the cable to connect to the OBD and the free to use the Tiger Tool software from our own T800XC ?

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 09:34:02 PM »
Simple stuff first. Clean your plugs and filter.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline jamesonhurst

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 08:22:22 AM »
All sensible suggestions, thanks! Think the first place to start might be the plugs and air filter.

Offline jamesonhurst

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 10:01:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Londonglide [+]
Hi fellow Londoner. I too have a 2012 XC. Check the condition of the main fuse, under the battery, age of battery. I had a bad fuse holder ( corrosion from moisture)  and it manifested itself with intermittent stalling .
As said before check the inlet balance and the reset the idle speed/stepper motor.
Do you have the cable to connect to the OBD and the free to use the Tiger Tool software from our own T800XC ?

I think there might be something in this. Haven't actually got round to doing anything to the bike yet but went out to start it this morning and the battery is completely flat. The lights/clocks power up but no crank. Going to look at it later but guessing it could be either a weak/failing battery or a loose connection which may have been causing the slight loss of power.

Offline AKTiger123

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 04:13:15 PM »
I had some issues a few months back it was running a bit lumpy and this was down to contaminated fuel, I would run a can of Motul Fuel system cleaner (for bike) through it and then do a forced reset,
start it up,
don't touch the throttle
let it idle until the first cycle of the fans kicks in,
run for 12 mins again no touching of the throttle and hopefully this will re calibrate everything.

I would try this before taking off the tank and all manner of things to get to the plugs and filter, it won't do any harm

Recent Topics