Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] xca rusting spokes  (Read 1488 times)

• Offline Glenandem

• Tiger Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline Glenandem

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    xca rusting spokes
    on: Nov 21, 2021, 08.27 am
    Nov 21, 2021, 08.27 am
    hi guys just a lovely clean low mileage 2015 xca but having a browse round it last night I noticed a few spokes are just starting to get a bit of surface rust on, has anyone had this and what's best way to deal with it!

• Online Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4678

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    Re: xca rusting spokes
    Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2021, 10.22 am
    Nov 21, 2021, 10.22 am
    Back in 2015 when I had decided to move to the Tiger (from a Street Triple) it was the sight of rusty XC spokes on a number of Xc Tigers I'd seen that was a major put off for me as I have no garage or easy maintenance facilities so had no inclination to spend hours per month, or whatever it takes, constantly cleaning and polishing spokes. Triumph are cheapskates in not fitting stainless steel spokes. My 1979 Bonnie has had steel rims and spokes since 1994 and they still look pristine.
    Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Offline Glenandem

• Tiger Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline Glenandem

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2021, 12.55 pm
    Nov 21, 2021, 12.55 pm
    yeah Ive never owned a triumph before but looking around it at this bike although its generally a low mileage mint bike and the previous owner really did look after it I can see little bits that probably won't last the length of time due to the triumph build quality but I'll do my best to keep it mint!!

• Online Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4678

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2021, 02.09 pm
    Nov 21, 2021, 02.09 pm
    *Originally Posted by Glenandem [+]
    .... I can see little bits that probably won't last the length of time due to the triumph build quality but I'll do my best to keep it mint!!

I wouldn't say Triumph have a build quality issue, well no more than any other manufacturer. The spokes on the Xc can be an issue, without lots of TLC, but my XRt roadie has spent over 6yrs parked outside uncovered and rarely cleaned and my only obvious sign of deterioration (from a very early stage) is the badly rusted mirror arms and the paint on the OEM fog light brackets is now starting to bubble. :002:

Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Offline Glenandem

• Tiger Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline Glenandem

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2021, 02.15 pm
    Nov 21, 2021, 02.15 pm
    yikes, at least its all bolt off bolt on parts to replace, could be worse im seeing a lot of Africa's with rusting flaking frames about!!!

• Offline awjdthumper   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    759

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XCA
    Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2021, 04.38 pm
    Nov 21, 2021, 04.38 pm
    yeah Ive never owned a triumph before but looking around it at this bike although its generally a low mileage mint bike and the previous owner really did look after it I can see little bits that probably won't last the length of time due to the triumph build quality but I'll do my best to keep it mint!!
    My 2017 XCA was mint when I bought it 18 months ago except for the chrome plated spokes which had started to deteriorate. Fortunately, they probably won't get any worse with me since I've got a complete aversion to riding in wet conditions but, if they do, I'll just replace with SS spokes. However, compared with my previous BMW which used plated steel nipples which rusted away really badly, the Triumph isn't too bad :006:
    Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT500 + collection of classic British bikes

• Offline gordybrock   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    365

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Master
    • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800 Phantom Black
    Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2021, 04.47 pm
    Nov 21, 2021, 04.47 pm
     :465:
    hi guys just a lovely clean low mileage 2015 xca but having a browse round it last night I noticed a few spokes are just starting to get a bit of surface rust on, has anyone had this and what's best way to deal with it!
    If a bit of surface rust on the spokes of a seven year old bike bothers you so much my advice is buy a tube of Solvol chrome cleaner or buy a bike with alloy wheels  :001:
    Last Edit: Nov 21, 2021, 04.49 pm by gordybrock
    I'm from Wigan me

• Tiger Master  ‐    759

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
    Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2021, 06.12 pm
    Nov 21, 2021, 06.12 pm
    I've no idea why Triumph didn't fit SS spokes - in my experience, chrome plating steel spokes is a pretty poor choice and usually doesn't last that long. As said, mine lasted no more than 3 years before being deeply pitted in places despite the previous owner looking after the bike very carefully. I'm not so much worried about the cosmetics but the fact that further rusting will weaken the spokes which could fail eventually.

• Offline Paulhere   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    2258

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XRx
    Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2021, 09.40 am
    Nov 23, 2021, 09.40 am
    *Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
    I've no idea why Triumph didn't fit SS spokes - in my experience, chrome plating steel spokes is a pretty poor choice and usually doesn't last that long. As said, mine lasted no more than 3 years before being deeply pitted in places despite the previous owner looking after the bike very carefully. I'm not so much worried about the cosmetics but the fact that further rusting will weaken the spokes which could fail eventually.

Triumph did fit st/st spokes some years ago, they had a lot of warranty claims 'cos they were snapping. So, you got rusty spokes, some were rusting within 3 months, Honda 1000cc AT's did same.
    Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

• Tiger Master  ‐    759

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
    Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2021, 08.04 am
    Nov 24, 2021, 08.04 am
    I think for normal road use, SS spokes are fine but, for hard off-road use, it wouldn't surprise me if there would be occasional failures. Galvanised spokes are the better alternative in terms of corrosion resistance but I guess Triumph wanted them to be shiny and so chose less than ideal chrome plated steel :009:

winded-staunch