Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: xca rusting spokes  (Read 591 times)

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: xca rusting spokes
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2021, 09:25:13 AM »
Triumph have never recalled the Bonnies for breaking st/st spokes or the Tigers/Tex's for rusting spokes, two of the boys in our club with Tex's had the rusty spokes, one got a replacement, the other got refused. Honda replaced all their rusty ones under warranty.

The breaking st/st spokes was a pre 2008 issue, 2 chums bought 06's, one had several broken spokes, the other had none, neither bike was ever used off-road.

https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/pre-2005-spoked-wheels.215981/

Google it, loads of info' on the various Triumph forums.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 09:31:13 AM by Paulhere »
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online Georgeinabz

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800xr
Re: xca rusting spokes
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2021, 07:31:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
I think for normal road use, SS spokes are fine but, for hard off-road use, it wouldn't surprise me if there would be occasional failures. Galvanised spokes are the better alternative in terms of corrosion resistance but I guess Triumph wanted them to be shiny and so chose less than ideal chrome plated steel :009:

Correct , I turn Stainless steel and generally its tensile strength & yield strength is way down compared to high tensile steel. Now I say generally because you can get higher grade ss but cost dramatically increases, its commonly used in marine applications. This way with steel triumph are able to balance cost / unsprung weight and durability,and throw the onus on the consumer to care for their spokes.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch