Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: My new keys won't work properly  (Read 257 times)

Offline Aarnvark

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800
My new keys won't work properly
« on: November 24, 2021, 03:15:37 PM »
 :003: Hi, all. I just got a 2014 Tiger 800 (ABS) in USA. I bought  two new keys from Triumph.....gave them my VIN at order. The new keys arrived: They fit in the ignition.....the new keys turn in the ignition and the instrument lights turn on....but, the fuel pump won't activate and the starter won't turn......UNLESS I first use the old key, then remove old key and immediately use the new key.....BUT, after starting the bike with the new key, the red engine immobilizer light and the check engine light stays on while I ride.  NOW, the check engine light stays on all the time even when I use the old key. Any of you know of a fix for this?  :157:

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
Re: My new keys won't work properly
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 03:59:22 PM »
Depends what keys you have bought. The original keys have a RFID chip inside which communicates to the immobiliser.
The key also needs to be the right profile (traditional key cutting).

Check if your new keys have a transponder in and if so the transponder needs coding to the bike. That's almost certainly a dealer task. It would defeat the whole point of the immobiliser if 'anyone' could program a key transponder.

You may have 'kust' a traditional key that works in the lock but not activate the transponder. Again whoever sold you the new keys should be able to tell you what they sold you.

However of the old key is programmed with the transponder code then the new mechanical key is working as expected. If you are concerned the use the new key but hold the old key close to the ignition lock to get a valid transponder response

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 04:01:04 PM »
Sounds like the key chips aren't coded to the bike. Did they have your bike in the workshop and code the key chips to your bikes immobiliser system or did you just collect 2 new cut keys from the parts department. AIUI the number code on the key tag supplied with a bikes new keys,  and probably via the VIN, only relates to the actual key blade cutting. :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 08:15:10 PM »
Just got a new key for one of the Ducatis.
Buy the key blank from Ducati
Take the blank and and original key to a locksmith for cutting
Take the new key the old key and the bike to a Ducati dealer to get the new key coded to the bike.
Works perfectly now.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 08:57:21 PM by K1W1 »

Recent Topics