Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Introduction  (Read 192 times)

Offline Tellboy

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2014Tiger 800 XC
Introduction
« on: November 25, 2021, 07:15:43 PM »
Hi All, I look after my sons Tiger 800 (2014) but I am a classic biker and have a 1967 Triumph T100 T Daytona & 2 BSA's a 1955 A7SS and a 1968 B44 Shooting Star.

I'm currently having problems with my sons Starter motor on his Tiger. Removed is and found that the brushes were non existent and full of carbon dust. Fitted new Brushed and had the commutator cleaned up on the Lathe. Re-assembled it and stuck 12v across the terminal and nothing.

Question: will a straight 12volts from the battery be enough to fire up the motor or does it need a more powerful amperage pumped itot it?

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 07:58:27 PM »
Hi and :401:

There are a lot of posts on starter motors if you use the 'search' facility .... or check the 'Electrical' section. But AIUI from 6+yrs here it appears 99% are pre-gen 2 bikes (2015 on) had a starter motor that could after certain things, time or mileage, develop hot starting issues. In nearly all cases where these were stripped the condition was as you have found, pretty messy. Of those who chose the new brushes and comm clean route it doesn't appear to have been very successful for most and if it was only lasted short term. Hence most either took a 2nd mortgage and bought the superceded starter from Triumph, or looked towards  new Rick's starter motor or the usual second hand ebay route (preferably for a post 2015 motor). :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 05:05:26 AM »
I've had success doing what you are doing with new OEM  brushes, light lathe cleanup and hacksaw between commutator contacts. Make sure you have a good solder connection on the tab. It should fire up on the bench with a 12 volt battery  and spin-up easily with no load.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Tellboy

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:22:28 AM »
Thanks guy's for the replies. This morning I used a different battery and bingo, she's working. So I'll do random tests over the next days before I put it back.  :046:

Offline Greenman

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 02:20:58 PM »
Nice to see folks successfully repairing stuff, especially stuff that OEMs would say is not repairable.
Just doing as much as I can for as long as I can.

Offline Tellboy

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 07:15:40 PM »
OK, the motor is going, I've still got to re-fit it and then put the bike back together. Give me the old classic bikes anytime to repair/refurbish. Although the Tiger is a nice bit of kit, but I wish these design engineers would make consumables like starter motors easily removeable. :440:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch