Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: NEC Motorcycle Live 2021  (Read 1217 times)

• Offline Squirrelly   gb

• Tiger Pro  ‐    117
    • Topic Author

Offline Squirrelly

• Tiger Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XCX
    NEC Motorcycle Live 2021
    on: Nov 29, 2021, 12.01 pm
    Nov 29, 2021, 12.01 pm
    I'm thinking of going to the bike show this year - assuming it won't be called off due to the new Covid variant.
    In the past I've always gone on the train to Birmingham International as it just couldn't be easier.

This year however, with the prospect of having to mask up whilst at the show an extra 4 hours masked up on a busy train don't appeal so I've decided to go in the car.
    There seems to be a confusing choice of parking options at various prices so can anyone who's used parking for the bike show in the past give me any advice as to the closest and most convenient for the Bike Show halls.   I'll be coming from the north via the M54/M6 if that matters.

Cheers Paul   

• Offline Pizzarepairman   wales

• Tiger Member  ‐    89

Offline Pizzarepairman

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800XRX
    Re: NEC Motorcycle Live 2021
    Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2021, 02.02 pm
    Nov 29, 2021, 02.02 pm
    There's a car park right by the Train Station, 2 min walk and you are in the NEC complex, then 5 mins and you are across the walkway and outside Hall 2. 

Price is competitive, tickets can be booked via the Avanti West Coast trains website

I've always found the NEC Car parks to be an absolute lottery and you either have to walk 15 minutes to get to the NEC doors or you wait 15 mins for a shuttle bus, and lets face it its rarely warm weather for the bike show!

• Tiger Pro  ‐    117
    • Topic Author

Offline Squirrelly

• Tiger Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2021, 04.45 pm
    Nov 29, 2021, 04.45 pm
    *Originally Posted by Pizzarepairman [+]
    There's a car park right by the Train Station, 2 min walk and you are in the NEC complex, then 5 mins and you are across the walkway and outside Hall 2. 

Price is competitive, tickets can be booked via the Avanti West Coast trains website

I've always found the NEC Car parks to be an absolute lottery and you either have to walk 15 minutes to get to the NEC doors or you wait 15 mins for a shuttle bus, and lets face it its rarely warm weather for the bike show!

Thanks.  that sounds like a good plan! :001:    I'll wait a few days before booking parking or the show just in case....

• Offline tauzero   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    879

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XRx
    Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2021, 05.18 pm
    Nov 29, 2021, 05.18 pm
    West car park is the one that you want - I used to have a pass for it until Tarmac made me redundant (their office is right there).
    Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
    Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

• Offline Tallpaul   gb

• Tiger Pro  ‐    235

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: 900 GT PRO
    Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2021, 05.27 pm
    Nov 29, 2021, 05.27 pm
    I can't be arsed with the car park. It's the choo choo for me.

• Tiger Pro  ‐    117
    • Topic Author

Offline Squirrelly

• Tiger Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2021, 10.49 am
    Nov 30, 2021, 10.49 am
    I've noticed that they no longer offer discounted show tickets to over 60s or was it over 65s?
    Either way,  looking at the motorcycling demographic in the UK it would probably cost them too much.  Most of us are in or approaching that age.
    Last Edit: Nov 30, 2021, 10.51 am by Squirrelly

• Offline Tallpaul   gb

• Tiger Pro  ‐    235

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
    Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2021, 11.35 am
    Nov 30, 2021, 11.35 am
    *Originally Posted by Squirrelly [+]
    I've noticed that they no longer offer discounted show tickets to over 60s or was it over 65s?
    Either way,  looking at the motorcycling demographic in the UK it would probably cost them too much.  Most of us are in or approaching that age.
    I miss the boat again, 66 in January and excluded from discount, bugger!

• Tiger Pro  ‐    117
    • Topic Author

Offline Squirrelly

• Tiger Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2021, 12.40 pm
    Dec 09, 2021, 12.40 pm
    Well, I went in the car on Tuesday,  just as well as West Coast and Transport for Wales had cancelled most trains on the Chester, Shrewsbury, Wolverhampton, Brum line due to the storm.  The station car park was perfect.

The show...  Hmm...  Not too busy but just as well because as well as major manufacturers (eg Yamaha, Aprilia) not being there a lot of the usual exhibitors and retailers weren't there either.  I'd seen pretty much all of it by 1.30 and was away at 2pm.

The most noteworthy thing about the whole show was just how ugly the Harley adventure bike is in the flesh.
    I thought it was a minger in the magazines but even its mother couldn't love its looks .
    I'm sure it'll sell well to the aged bad assed mofo in a leather waistcoat with his wallet on a chain, but his money would be better spent on cataract surgery.

Squirrelly.
    Last Edit: Dec 09, 2021, 12.44 pm by Squirrelly

• Offline GeoffS   wales

• Premier Member
    • Tiger Master  ‐    693

Offline GeoffS

• Premier Member
    • Tiger Master
    • Everyone with telekinetic powers, raise my hand.
    • Bike/Model: XC - Green/Black
    Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2021, 04.43 pm
    Dec 11, 2021, 04.43 pm
    Just got backÖ., Iíve been saying it for years, ďThatís the last time Iím goingĒ, but keep getting suckered into returning, but this was definitely the last; what a waste of time. I think itís time to stop doing this so-called event, itís past the sell-by date.
    Roses are red,
    Violets are blue,
    Some poems rhyme,
    But this one doesnít.

• Offline Tallpaul   gb

• Tiger Pro  ‐    235

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
    Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2021, 10.37 am
    Dec 12, 2021, 10.37 am
    I went on Tuesday to watch the unveiling of the T1200. Very interesting and spent some time chatting with factory staff on several issues. Also enjoyed BMW Motorad display and riding demos. Good to see the BSA bikes in person and a surprising number of stands with electric bikes and scooters.

I've not been for some years and the display area seemed a lot smaller than when I last went. All in all a decent day out.