Tiger 800 / 900 - Main Discussion Section > General Maintenance and Servicing

Broken Gear Return Spring replacement DIY

(1/4) > >>

craggsy:
I received a lot of advice from this forum when my Tiger 800 XCx had the broken gear spring problem on the road to the Wales meet.
As it has now been repaired by a dealer I thought I publish the schedule of work for info. I would do a diy if it happens again. Some may also consider diy as the price of parts is small, labour was a lot.

The parts used were
T1230110 Gasket, Sump
T1260141 Gasket Clutch cover
T2200824 Gasket Header
T2202115 Gasket exhaust
T1170106 Nut Clutch 22mm
T1218001 Oil Filter OES
T3558989 Washer sealing 14,4x23x3
T1190109 Spring Linear Detent arm - the culprit
Oil

Work carried out-
Remove clutch cover and clutch
Remove exhaust and sump to find broken bits in the bottom.
Replace spring and reassemble.

Take care to keep clutch plates in same order and position.
I think a broken gear pin would be similar work/parts.

This was not a recall, but I think it should be from what I have read.

Finally, I could have made the Wales Tiger meet on my 2nd bike if the RAC had not left me stranded all day.
After 22 years as a customer, I will not be using them again. Any replacement recommendations will be welcome.

Tallpaul:
RAC let my mate down badly after a minor accident. They wanted over 200 to recover the bike and couldn't/wouldn't take him and his wife home. Plus, response time was over 3 hours. So I went home and got my trailer to get them all home. They have been members for over 30 years.............

awjdthumper:
I switched to the AA after 40 years with the RAC - I felt the RAC could no longer be relied on and I got fed up having to haggle over the renewal price each year. I've only used the AA for two car breakdowns since (consecutive Bosch injector failures) and the service provided was very good.

markymark11:
 :0461: I used to use RAC but the waiting times just got stupid - only used them twice for minor things. The AA have been spot on especially when my wife got a puncture they were really fast to get to her.

freeware:
Originally Posted by craggsy

Work carried out-
Remove clutch cover and clutch
Remove exhaust and sump to find broken bits in the bottom.
Replace spring and reassemble.

How much did you pay for the repair if you don't mind?
I've replaced the spring and welded pin as a prevenative measure 2 years ago. Replacement for the stronger spring often leads to broken pin - as many riders experienced here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version