Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Broken Gear Return Spring replacement DIY  (Read 1271 times)

• Online Fazer   gb

• Tiger Pro  ‐    236

Online Fazer

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800XRt
    Re: Broken Gear Return Spring replacement DIY
    Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2021, 02.35 pm
    Dec 01, 2021, 02.35 pm
    ÖÖ Like most of us I'm cynical of garages, also having worked in one, so we will never know but I wonder what they recovered, if anything, from the sump ... was there really a missing broken part and sump removal really necessary or was it plausible work creation.

I may be talking a load of bollocks here but couldnít they have just drained the oil then pushed an endoscope into the drain hole to check if there was any sign of extraneous pieces of metal lying in the sump? Obviously, if there was anything suspicious it might then have been necessary to be more invasive.

• Offline Londonglide   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    260

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: XC
    Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2021, 03.38 pm
    Dec 01, 2021, 03.38 pm
    *Originally Posted by Fazer [+]
    I may be talking a load of bollocks here but couldnít they have just drained the oil then pushed an endoscope into the drain hole to check if there was any sign of extraneous pieces of metal lying in the sump? Obviously, if there was anything suspicious it might then have been necessary to be more invasive.

I would imagine dealers would generally not have too much flexibility on what they could or couldn't do, and the old Ar*e covering scenario may be relevant too.

• Offline craggsy

• Tiger Member  ‐    94
    • Topic Author

Offline craggsy

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: XC800
    Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2021, 03.42 pm
    Dec 01, 2021, 03.42 pm
    The spring was just over £3. The part number is the one shown on my list.

No more cynical than me, but I believe they found a bit in the sump.

I think they mentioned filters in the sump, which may be there to stop a disaster, but I donít know. There was no oil filter replacement on the jobsheet so Im not sure to what they were referring .
    I really need to get a Haynes manual for Xmas.

Iíve seen the pin mod on here, looks good.

To but to be honest the whole lot its seems an under specified mechanism.

Another point, as i picked it up there was an big judder on the clutch. They took it back and fixed within a couple of hours (makes you think). Apparently, you can remove the clutch without draining the oil? on the side stand

I asked if it was the judder spring being put in the wrong way. They said the judder spring did not come out? and it was due to warped clutch plates. The fix was to align the plates close to the way the come out.

Defo need a Haynes.

• Online Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4354

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2021, 04.17 pm
    Dec 01, 2021, 04.17 pm
    *Originally Posted by craggsy [+]
    The spring was just over £3. The part number is the one shown on my list.

OK I see where we are, the fault isn't related to the common gearchange mechanism fault, that's why I thought the spring part number was wrong. Your issue was a small spring within the gear selector drum mechanism, different parts section.

There was no oil filter replacement on the jobsheet so Im not sure to what they were referring .

If the broken piece in the sump was recovered whole, not ground away causing filings, then I can understand them not changing the filter and obviously they wouldn't put your used oil back in.

They said the judder spring did not come out? and it was due to warped clutch plates. The fix was to align the plates close to the way the come out.

Now that part does sound like a BS reply for poor assembly. It is always good practice to keep anything like clutch plates in their original order and better still marked across the edge to keep their original orientation and position in clutch basket, unless fitting new plates of course. The parts are bedded together, the same as you would return your brake pads to the same position if you remove them for any reason.
    Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Offline chico   us

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    1388

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: 2017 XRX
    Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2021, 05.38 am
    Dec 02, 2021, 05.38 am
    I wonder how they knew which plates belonged in what order they were originally? It sounds suspect to me. Once you change the original placement there is no way of telling which plate was it's neighbor. :084:

Chico

• Offline craggsy

• Tiger Member  ‐    94
    • Topic Author

Offline craggsy

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: XC800
    Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2021, 03.17 pm
    Dec 02, 2021, 03.17 pm
    *Originally Posted by chico [+]
    I wonder how they knew which plates belonged in what order they were originally? It sounds suspect to me. Once you change the original placement there is no way of telling which plate was it's neighbor. :084:

Chico

Not sure, but I think put them on a flat bench and see how they mesh.
    They didn't get it 100%, but good enough.
    That's why I say in my first post, make sure plates are kept in order  :001:

• Online Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4354

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2021, 04.20 pm
    Dec 02, 2021, 04.20 pm
    Keeping the plates in order is a bare minimum but also keeping them replaced in the exact same position relative to the inner hub and outer drum plate driving tangs is the best way to retain as it was.
    Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!