Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Thinking of buying a Tiger 800  (Read 685 times)

• Offline fossil54

• Tiger Cub  ‐    4
    • Topic Author

Offline fossil54

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    Thinking of buying a Tiger 800
    on: Dec 04, 2021, 02.57 am
    Dec 04, 2021, 02.57 am
    good morning from here in Thailand. I currently own a CB650F and after a recent 3.5k kms road trip around northern Thailand have decided that due to some of the more remote roads, not off-road though, that an adventure bike might be a better option for those rougher concrete or bitumen roads with lots of potholes. I have been looking at the Triumph Tiger 2018 onwards reviews on YouTube and all seem positive with the exception of one rider complaining that his TFT screen failed on his 2018 bike. So I guess my question is generally do the members on this forum recommend the Tiger as an all-round bike and what model do they think might best suit my riding environment. Thank you in advance for your recommendations, cheers from the Fossil..

• Offline K1W1   au

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4925

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
    • Up in the hills
    • Bike/Model: XRX
    Re: Thinking of buying a Tiger 800
    Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2021, 07.10 am
    Dec 04, 2021, 07.10 am
    The Tiger is generally a good reliable bike but like all products there are always individual examples that have issues.
    Some things to consider.
    The Tiger is way taller, more top heavy and overall heavier than your Honda. Make sure that you really try pushing one around and sitting astride and balancing one before you buy so you know what you are getting into.
    If the bike you look at buying has a main stand try operating it a few times before you commit. Tiger 800s have what would be one of the worst main stands on the market in terms of getting the bike on and off it.
    A Triumph will cost more to maintain than your Honda. Look at local maintenance costs and take them into account when buying.
    For the riding you describe I would look at the XR series with the 19” front wheel. You don’t need the extra height and higher COG of the bikes with a 21” front wheel  for unpaved roads and you get the benefit of tubeless tyres. You can always fit 70/30 or even 50/50 tyres if you want but the bike will always be that much lower and will steer and handle better on sealed roads.

• Offline fossil54

• Tiger Cub  ‐    4
    • Topic Author

Offline fossil54

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2021, 09.28 am
    Dec 05, 2021, 09.28 am
    Hello Kiwi and many thanks for your reply and thoughts really appreciated it. I assume from your handle you are originally NZ-born as am I. A Taranaki lad from way back then 20 years in Australia before retiring and coming here to Thailand for a period then kinda got covid stranded.
    I am 6' 2 tall so I don't see the height being an issue and I will spend some time exploring the Tiger before I make my final decision.
    So once again thanks for the response and happy riding. Cheers Greg

• Offline K1W1   au

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4925

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
    • Up in the hills
    • Bike/Model: XRX
    Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2021, 11.37 am
    Dec 05, 2021, 11.37 am
    *Originally Posted by fossil54 [+]
    Hello Kiwi and many thanks for your reply and thoughts really appreciated it. I assume from your handle you are originally NZ-born as am I. A Taranaki lad from way back then 20 years

Yes from Wellington. Lived in New Plymouth for a period then ended up in Melbourne for 6 months in 1984 and am still here.
    My initial comments were based on the assumption that you were somewhat shorter but I still think that the XR series is a better bike for most owners most of the time. People get seduced into this macho off road b/s and buy XC models then never take them anywhere more off road than a graded gravel road that you can drive a family sedan along which the XR is perfect for. These things weight close to 250kg loaded with fuel and gear they are not trail bikes.

• Offline Wino50   wales

• Tiger Member  ‐    19

Offline Wino50

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 800
    Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2021, 11.41 am
    Dec 05, 2021, 11.41 am
    Hi - I'm in the UK - I sold my gsxr1000 after 12 years from new to buy a used 800 with 32000 miles on it - aside from the usual wear and tear, I love it - I have the 19" front wheel and I'm only 5' 7" - it had the adjustable dog bones but I leave it on standard. I can now go out without having to ride at stoopid speeds so I feel safer [or my licence does] and I'm enjoying biking again. Early days but no regrets.

• Offline fossil54

• Tiger Cub  ‐    4
    • Topic Author

Offline fossil54

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2021, 11.29 pm
    Dec 05, 2021, 11.29 pm
    *Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
    Yes from Wellington. Lived in New Plymouth for a period then ended up in Melbourne for 6 months in 1984 and am still here.
    My initial comments were based on the assumption that you were somewhat shorter but I still think that the XR series is a better bike for most owners most of the time. People get seduced into this macho off road b/s and buy XC models then never take them anywhere more off road than a graded gravel road that you can drive a family sedan along which the XR is perfect for. These things weight close to 250kg loaded with fuel and gear they are not trail bikes.
    Thanks for the recommendation. We have just finished a 3500kms ride and we learnt that some of the viewpoints and places of interest were on roads that weren't suited to my CB650 hence the reason I am looking to change. I don't intend off road riding but do want something that can handle large pot holes, broken rough concrete roads  and occasionally clay roads with stones and gravel. We are always two up and have panniers and topbox

• Offline fossil54

• Tiger Cub  ‐    4
    • Topic Author

Offline fossil54

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2021, 11.30 pm
    Dec 05, 2021, 11.30 pm
    *Originally Posted by Wino50 [+]
    Hi - I'm in the UK - I sold my gsxr1000 after 12 years from new to buy a used 800 with 32000 miles on it - aside from the usual wear and tear, I love it - I have the 19" front wheel and I'm only 5' 7" - it had the adjustable dog bones but I leave it on standard. I can now go out without having to ride at stoopid speeds so I feel safer [or my licence does] and I'm enjoying biking again. Early days but no regrets.
    Thanks for the reply, appreciated. 

• Online Paulhere   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    2213

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XRx
    Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2021, 09.22 am
    Dec 06, 2021, 09.22 am
    *Originally Posted by fossil54 [+]
    I don't intend off road riding but do want something that can handle large pot holes, broken rough concrete roads  and occasionally clay roads with stones and gravel. We are always two up and have panniers and topbox

The spoked wheels of the XC will flex, so better suited to those conditions. The solid wheels of the XR could get damaged.
    Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

winded-staunch