Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Frame replacement advice  (Read 514 times)

• Offline noizemaker69   ca

• Tiger Cub  ‐    7
    • Topic Author

Offline noizemaker69

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: 2018 XRX
    Frame replacement advice
    on: Jan 13, 2022, 06.03 pm
    Jan 13, 2022, 06.03 pm
    Need to replace the frame on my project 2018 XRX. Question to anyone who might know - how compatible are the frames between generations/years? For example could I make a 2nd Gen work, seems to be more of them around. Cheers!

• Offline ZShyster   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    45

Offline ZShyster

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: 16 Tiger 18 T120
    Re: Frame replacement advice
    Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2022, 06.53 pm
    Jan 13, 2022, 06.53 pm
    Not response to your question, but how are you going to title it if you use a frame of a different year?  I thought the frame was given a serial number and by that a year group.

Good Luck
    Ride Safe
    ZShyster

• Offline Londonglide   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    260

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: XC
    Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2022, 07.07 pm
    Jan 13, 2022, 07.07 pm
    I did notice significant structural differences between my Gen 1 800 and a friends later model. It may have made no difference to the fitting of parts, but suggests there are some changes along the way.

• Offline awjdthumper   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    601

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XCA
    Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2022, 07.48 pm
    Jan 13, 2022, 07.48 pm
    *Originally Posted by ZShyster [+]
    Not response to your question, but how are you going to title it if you use a frame of a different year?  I thought the frame was given a serial number and by that a year group.

Good Luck
    Ride Safe
    ZShyster
    In the UK, the easiest way to register a bike project for use on the road is to start with a frame with a VIN number and a matching registration document (V5) - the VIN number defines the identify of the bike. I believe the system in the US is essentially the same substituting 'Title' for V5.

In terms of the change from Gen 2 to Gen 3 frame, it's difficult to detect many changes in the parts diagrams - at most I could see only the addition of a couple of tapped inserts (item #17) in the later frame.
    Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

• Offline noizemaker69   ca

• Tiger Cub  ‐    7
    • Topic Author

Offline noizemaker69

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: 2018 XRX
    Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2022, 09.47 pm
    Jan 13, 2022, 09.47 pm
    *Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
    In terms of the change from Gen 2 to Gen 3 frame, it's difficult to detect many changes in the parts diagrams - at most I could see only the addition of a couple of tapped inserts (item #17) in the later frame.

This is kind of what I am seeing as well and what makes me think I may have more options than I thought. Additionally, when eyeballing assorted frames from any year on EvilBay they all look to be the same. Not scientific I know but nothing stands out. Fingers crossed that somebody who may have done similar can throw me a bone!

As for ZShyster's question about how to register it...well I guess I will fall off that bridge when/if I get there!  :001:

• Offline K1W1   au

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4925

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
    • Up in the hills
    • Bike/Model: XRX
    Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12.18 am
    Jan 14, 2022, 12.18 am
    *Originally Posted by noizemaker69 [+]
    Need to replace the frame on my project 2018 XRX. Question to anyone who might know - how compatible are the frames between generations/years? For example could I make a 2nd Gen work, seems to be more of them around. Cheers!

I doubt that there is any significant structural differences between the 2015 through 2018 frames. Even the 2011-2014 frames may be close enough but those bikes had, for example a narrower radiator and a different airbox intake position so there would likely be more fiddling to adjust brackets.
    The major components like engine, swing arm, suspension, tank, seat should all fit with no or very little modification the only real issue would be the plastics probably.

• Offline Georgeinabz   scotland

• Tiger Member  ‐    85

Offline Georgeinabz

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: 800xr
    Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2022, 06.59 pm
    Jan 14, 2022, 06.59 pm
    There was major stiffing to the frame of a gen3 , now the question is with the 100+ changes to the gen 3 engine , did the mounting points on the engine  change , say to allow clearance for the clutch cover due to the increased frame diameter? If a gen2 frame is cheap enough then maybe worth a punt.

winded-staunch