Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Electrical Anomolies (With Videos!)  (Read 3922 times)

• Offline Half-Click-Up   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    73
    • Topic Author

Offline Half-Click-Up

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger 800A
    Re: Electrical Anomolies (With Videos!)
    Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2022, 04.46 pm
    Jan 14, 2022, 04.46 pm
    *Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
    New battery. :028:

As for the voltage .... if you did scan over my previous links on my fault you will see it was also intermittent, starting a few times in the November, going away then permanently reappearing in the April permanently which clearly proved to be a failing R/R. I would seriously keep an eye on the charging rate, the R/R should control DC output to around 14.5v (max) regardless of the battery condition, the battery doesn't control the R/ R. I  also wouldn't be too trusting of those cheap plug in USB/charge indicators in a fault situation and feel better using a multimeter. :027:

Yep I just finished reading through your threads. Goodness, what a fiasco that was for you! I'm also happy to learn that radiator removal won't be absolutely necessary if/when I dive into the R/R replacement.

One thing I'm not completely clear on, though, is the best part number for replacement on a 2014. Looks like there was a lot of back and forth on cross-referencing with other manufacturers, etc. for cost savings and better longevity?

As for the little voltmeter, I am certainly glad I have it in there, as it's better than nothing for serving as a warning sign. Also, the displayed voltage has always matched what TigerTool's start-up screen states.
    2014 Triumph Tiger 800A
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R
    Texas, USA
    youtube.com/halfclickup

• Online Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4829

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2022, 05.41 pm
    Jan 14, 2022, 05.41 pm
    Yes radiator removal is easy, on the 'Gen 2' just 2x 5mm bolts, 1 top and 1 bottom and happily hangs on its pipes. I have just refitted my R/R and radiator today after removing yesterday as required in order to remove the alternator cover.

If you go to your dealer for a new R/R they should get the right one but as I found I wasn't supplied the real right one (FH020AA) but the older one (FH012AB) packaged as the later one, clearing old stock I reckon and no joy when I queried it. Either of those will fit yours ok same plugs/sockets and a quick check of Fowlers shows yours as superceded and now supplied with the 50A R/R so presumably the FH020AA. The FH020AA can handle 50A which is why I wasn't happy being fobbed off with the older 30A R/R as the Gen 2 XRt/XCa have uprated alternators for the extra goodies, heated grips, heated seats and fog lights as standard. It means my replacement 30A R/R is probably constantly working near the top end of its capacity dumping the excess amps on my bike when no goodies are being used.
    Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Tiger Member  ‐    73
    • Topic Author

Offline Half-Click-Up

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2022, 05.51 pm
    Jan 14, 2022, 05.51 pm
    Yes radiator removal is easy, on the 'Gen 2' just 2x 5mm bolts, 1 top and 1 bottom and happily hangs on its pipes. I have just refitted my R/R and radiator today after removing yesterday as required in order to remove the alternator cover.

If you go to your dealer for a new R/R they should get the right one but as I found I wasn't supplied the real right one (FH020AA) but the older one (FH012AB) packaged as the later one, clearing old stock I reckon and no joy when I queried it. Either of those will fit yours ok same plugs/sockets and a quick check of Fowlers shows yours as superceded and now supplied with the 50A R/R so presumably the FH020AA. The FH020AA can handle 50A which is why I wasn't happy being fobbed off with the older 30A R/R as the Gen 2 XRt/XCa have uprated alternators for the extra goodies, heated grips, heated seats and fog lights as standard. It means my replacement 30A R/R is probably constantly working near the top end of its capacity dumping the excess amps on my bike when no goodies are being used.

Ah excellent, thank you for that part number! One of these days I'll add all the farkle bits you speak of, and so I certainly would like to have the 50A piece.

I'm still hopeful that a new battery helps me avoid the inevitable  :028:
    2014 Triumph Tiger 800A
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R
    Texas, USA
    youtube.com/halfclickup

• Online Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4829

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2022, 06.59 pm
    Jan 14, 2022, 06.59 pm
    Those are the Shindengen R/R model numbers not the Triumph part numbers.

Item #7.
    https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/8481/tiger-800-to-vin-674841/starter-alternator
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Tiger Member  ‐    73
    • Topic Author

Offline Half-Click-Up

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2022, 07.31 pm
    Jan 14, 2022, 07.31 pm
    Those are the Shindengen R/R model numbers not the Triumph part numbers.

Item #7.
    https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/8481/tiger-800-to-vin-674841/starter-alternator

And I take it Shindengen is the actual manufacturer of the R/R?
    I'll have to do some looking into whether or not they're available here in the States...  :084:
    2014 Triumph Tiger 800A
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R
    Texas, USA
    youtube.com/halfclickup

• Online Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4829

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2022, 08.13 pm
    Jan 14, 2022, 08.13 pm
    Didn't realise you were in the USA (you don't indicate location) in which case ignore your Triumph dealer and go straight here. Once this covid thing clears enough to recommence our annual USA holidays he's on my holiday buys list, less than 1/2 the UK price. Get yourself a genuine bare FH020AA for $122 plus shipping. :028:

www.roadstercycle.com
    Jack Fleming
    4603 west 163rd street
    Lawndale
    California 90260
    Phone: 310.766.5222

• Tiger Member  ‐    73
    • Topic Author

Offline Half-Click-Up

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2022, 10.05 pm
    Jan 14, 2022, 10.05 pm
    Didn't realise you were in the USA (you don't indicate location) in which case ignore your Triumph dealer and go straight here. Once this covid thing clears enough to recommence our annual USA holidays he's on my holiday buys list, less than 1/2 the UK price. Get yourself a genuine bare FH020AA for $122 plus shipping. :028:

www.roadstercycle.com
    Jack Fleming
    4603 west 163rd street
    Lawndale
    California 90260
    Phone: 310.766.5222

Oh wow! Outstanding, thank you Stevie!
    2014 Triumph Tiger 800A
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R
    Texas, USA
    youtube.com/halfclickup

• Online Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4829

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2022, 10.14 pm
    Jan 14, 2022, 10.14 pm
    Didn't realise you were in the USA (you don't indicate location) in which case ignore your Triumph dealer and go straight here.

Actually just realised part of today's forum change is profile information and now we have country flags against our profile. I didn't notice that as I looked for a specific location under your name in the old way. Mine was listed as 'Plymouth, UK' but that has been simply replaced with the UK flag. :027:

• Offline chico   us

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    1463

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: 2017 XRX
    Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2022, 05.58 am
    Jan 15, 2022, 05.58 am
    Steve, if you click on the little blue icon of a stylized human figure it will take you to a page with all the info you need.

Chico

• Online Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4829

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2022, 11.21 am
    Jan 15, 2022, 11.21 am
    Hi Chico, I know that, I'm already located on the member map section but that isn't readily visible alongside your username, you have to know to go to someones profile link to see that (and are advised not to be too precise showing your location), I'm sure many here don't. Previously my location was as readily visible as my 'Arte et Marte ...' info. :002:

EDIT UPDATE
    Having read and replied to this post I have now seen the Admin post regarding the 'temporary loss of 'location' function'. As I posted over on that 'Forum' thread I mentioned it as an observation not a complaint. :028:
    Last Edit: Jan 15, 2022, 11.39 am by Stevie.P