Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Forum  (Read 9896 times)

• Offline Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5702

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    Re: Forum
    Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2022, 10.40 pm
    Jan 14, 2022, 10.40 pm
    Just a minor note regarding the new forum look.  As a result of an earlier post with a member who it transpired is in the USA I now see we have lost our, often helpful, local'ish location info a lot of us provided under our username which has now been substituted for a country flag instead.  Mine info was previously 'Plymouth, UK' which was often useful for others locally seeking ride out groups or local info, or regarding 'sale/wanted' items, even if maybe just at county level but obviouslyI I now have the UK flag. Though I notice a few posts back a new Tiger Cub isn't showing any location which I thought was required to join. :027:
    Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Offline K1W1   au

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5914

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
    • Up in the hills
    • Bike/Model: XRX
    Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2022, 11.30 pm
    Jan 14, 2022, 11.30 pm
    *Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
    Just a minor note regarding the new forum look.  As a result of an earlier post with a member who it transpired is in the USA I now see we have lost our, often helpful, local'ish location info a lot of us provided under our username which has now been substituted for a country flag instead.  Mine info was previously 'Plymouth, UK' which was often useful for others locally seeking ride out groups or local info, or regarding 'sale/wanted' items, even if maybe just at county level but obviouslyI I now have the UK flag.

I solved that problem. If you go to your forum profile settings there is a section called Personal Text. That is where I put the info about location that appears under my avatar.

• Offline Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5702

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2022, 11.39 pm
    Jan 14, 2022, 11.39 pm
    I already have text there that is relevant to my Avatar and previously location was separate, any location info would definitely be out of place shown alongside it. Also pretty sure my relevant text was directly under my Avatar but is now separated by the country flag (though I may have that wrong).
    This was only posted as an observation not a complaint. :002:
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Offline Adô   england

• Administrator
    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    1137

Offline Adô

• Administrator
    • Tiger Jedi
    Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2022, 09.50 am
    Jan 15, 2022, 09.50 am
    I solved that problem. If you go to your forum profile settings there is a section called Personal Text. That is where I put the info about location that appears under my avatar.

The location field is temporarily disabled, it will re-implemented at a later date. Please do not use the Personal Text field for location.  :028:

---------------------------------------------

FORUM UPDATE

Apologies for not posting something immediately after the update but a personal tragedy of a close family member took priority.

Please note that the previous "look" was well out of date. It was introduced waaaaaayyy... back in 2013, that's 8 yrs ago which in this tech age is a loooooong time. The forum runs on something called PHP with a MySQL database. Those technologies have progressed substantially in those 8 yrs and it simply was not possible to keep the old look, it was simply incompatible these days.

For good reason many members have been asking for a better "mobile" solution as the old look was rubbish on a mobile. It's something we've been promising for years but has been hard to do as the underlying codebase was ancient, like really ancient. Trying to bring that up to date has been a challenge to say the least. We're talking about thousands of lines of code, not a quick job. As around 40% of viewers look at the forum on a mobile then it had to be done.

There are a few aspects that are not finished, the location field for example. Also, personal messages have a small bug in mobile view as noted by T800XC here. It's still usuable, you just need to scroll down to view your message.

BTW, many thanks for the supportive comments, they are most welcome. What's not helpful is quick statements that broadly say "I don't like it". That's fine if you don't like it, change can be a pain, but not substantiating the comment with why you don't like it is most unhelpful. As Healdem said the changes are not that significant really and the underlying functionality is no different. Yes it's mobile friendly and there are some different colours here and there, plus the menu is different, but essentially it works as before. The new "look" is not perfect, it's work in progress if you like, but it's base for future versions.   :038:

I'll post some more info later today in the Admin Announcements section as there are a some new features not yet mentioned.

:821:
    Have a problem ? Maybe read the Forum Help section: Forum Help
    Still need support ? Post issues in this board: Forum Help / Issues / Problems board

• Offline Fazer   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    432

Offline Fazer

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: 800 XRt
    Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2022, 10.11 am
    Jan 15, 2022, 10.11 am
    Unfortunately, there are many people who just donít like change but itís a natural human trait. When I first saw the new look Forum my reaction was unfavourable but then I thought, ďIím just displaying a natural negative attitude to change and I need to give it some time.Ē We all get used to dealing with stuff in our lives in a particular way and donít like it when we are forced to accept change.

• Offline T800XC   england

• Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    3053

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 900 RP
    Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2022, 10.18 am
    Jan 15, 2022, 10.18 am
    *Originally Posted by Fazer [+]
    Unfortunately, there are many people who just donít like change but itís a natural human trait. When I first saw the new look Forum my reaction was unfavourable but then I thought, ďIím just displaying a natural negative attitude to change and I need to give it some time.Ē We all get used to dealing with stuff in our lives in a particular way and donít like it when we are forced to accept change.
    :0461:

I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to change overall, but the forum seems to be something of an exception for me and I'm happy with the new look & feel.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

• Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    3053

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi
    Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2022, 10.33 am
    Jan 15, 2022, 10.33 am
    ...I did just find another possible bug, or at least a change that maybe had unintended consequences.

When I tried to change something in my forum profile it threw up this error...
    The following errors occurred when trying to save your profile:
    The following BBC is not allowed within your signature: abbr, acronym, anchor, bdo, black, blue, email, flash, ftp, glow, green, html, hr, iurl, li, ltr, me, move, nobbc, php, pre, red, rtl, s, shadow, smg, sub, sup, time, tt, white, vimeo, gifv.

I also see the following in my signature...
    (Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Looking deeper it seems that the signature contains a link to an image that was in the old forum gallery which I guess has finally been fully retired?

The code in the signature causing the issue looks like this:-
    smg id=1890 type=full width=150

I've also looked at an old thread where I had other photos from the old gallery and that now has placeholders instead of the photos.
    e.g. https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,1211.0.html

One photo link example from the above thread is this...
    https://www.tiger800.co.uk/MGalleryItem.php?id=1678

I'm sure I had lots more photos in the old gallery that never got transferred to my new gallery account, but it wasn't a problem because the forum was still able to link to them. Is there any way to copy the old photos to the new gallery and let me re-link them, or are the photos gone?

• Offline Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5702

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2022, 11.51 am
    Jan 15, 2022, 11.51 am
    *Originally Posted by Admin [+]
    The location field is temporarily disabled, it will re-implemented at a later date. Please do not use the Personal Text field for location.  :028:

:763:
    ... as I said above, I posted on this as a (feedback) observation, (certainly) not a complaint on the new look, I just saw the function (as explained) as possibly useful to quickly visualise where members are located (relatively) during some discussions. :027:

• Offline Adô   england

• Administrator
    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    1137

Offline Adô

• Administrator
    • Tiger Jedi
    Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2022, 12.38 pm
    Jan 15, 2022, 12.38 pm
    *Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
    ...I did just find another possible bug, or at least a change that maybe had unintended consequences.

When I tried to change something in my forum profile it threw up this error...
    I also see the following in my signature...
    Looking deeper it seems that the signature contains a link to an image that was in the old forum gallery which I guess has finally been fully retired?

The code in the signature causing the issue looks like this:-

I've also looked at an old thread where I had other photos from the old gallery and that now has placeholders instead of the photos.
    e.g. https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,1211.0.html

One photo link example from the above thread is this...
    https://www.tiger800.co.uk/MGalleryItem.php?id=1678

I'm sure I had lots more photos in the old gallery that never got transferred to my new gallery account, but it wasn't a problem because the forum was still able to link to them. Is there any way to copy the old photos to the new gallery and let me re-link them, or are the photos gone?

No it's not a bug.  :002:

It's because you had a link in your signature to an image in the old Photos Gallery which is no longer visible to members (although still hanging around). The images are still there and they will be migrated over to the current Photos Gallery at some point although probably not to individual accounts.

It's why you got the error when trying to save it.

BTW I've updated some permissions so you should be able to see those images in posts now instead of just placeholders.

(Also added that T800XC image back into your signature - now hosted in new Photos Gallery).

Have a problem ? Maybe read the Forum Help section: Forum Help
    Still need support ? Post issues in this board: Forum Help / Issues / Problems board

• Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    3053

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi
    Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2022, 01.48 pm
    Jan 15, 2022, 01.48 pm
    *Originally Posted by Admin [+]
    BTW I've updated some permissions so you should be able to see those images in posts now instead of just placeholders.

(Also added that T800XC image back into your signature - now hosted in new Photos Gallery).

Excellent, thanks. I wasn't expecting you to jump onto it straight away!  :028: