Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] How I wired my Auxiliary Fuse box 800xca  (Read 630 times)

• Offline CoopDoggyDogXCA   gb

• Tiger Cub  ‐    5
    • Topic Author

Offline CoopDoggyDogXCA

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: 800 XCA
    How I wired my Auxiliary Fuse box 800xca
    on: Jan 18, 2022, 09.03 pm
    Jan 18, 2022, 09.03 pm
    Oops, admin, could you move to Electrical please   :431:

Haven't seen any posts about this for my bike, so.. Here's how I wired in my own Switched & Constant power fuse block on my 2020 800 XCA to power all my extra accessories. (Denali Soundbomb, Garmin GPS, Front & Rear dash cam etc etc)
    I found this unit and decided it was perfect for what I needed. 6 way fuse box, switched or un switched, built in relay (amazing) and it looks proper :002:

https://www.nippynormans.com/f650st-f650cs-f650gs-f650-dakar/fuzeblock-switchable-fuse-panel

So, upon removing both seats, armed with a coffee in one had and the fuzeblock in the other - I set about finding the right position to mount the unit.

My criteria:
    1: Needs to be out the way of possible water splashes
    2: Needs to be (Fairly) accessible to change fuses on the go, if they ever blow.
    3: Leave enough room under the seat for my GoPro battery charger(s), drone chargers and possible snacks when I don’t have the tank bag on.  :002:

Removed the Tool roll, and had to decide between these two positions:

Image 2 seemed like the right place to put it. Easy access to the fuses and wiring.
    Seemed perfect.
    Long story short I’d whole heartedly decided “that’s  where it’s going”, but it was getting cold, dark and late.
    I went inside and done some last minute research here in the search bar to see what everyone else does.

I saw that there was a big open space under the top box mount, slept on the decision and decided to go for it.
    The FuseBlock fits snuggly in there with enough room for the wires to pass around the outside.

So, I had a dilemma.... to mount the Fuzeblock would have meant drilling 4 holes through the undercarriage which would have meant water could come through or worse, a bolt undoing, falling down into the rear wheel. Not ideal.
    A few head scratches later I remembered that Araldite 5 minute Epoxy was going to be my new best friend.
    My plan: Glue the lock nuts (supplied) to the plastic and bolt the box onto the newly fixed nuts, removing the need for holes drilled through.  :047:

As you can see in the photo below, I got some sandpaper and created a rough surface along with a flat head screwdriver and gouged some lines in the plastic so that the Araldite had something to grip to. You could make the gouges a bit neater..  :431:

I put the bolts through the FuzeBlock and lightly nipped the nuts on the back, mixed the Araldite up and spread some of it on the nuts.
    Note: Leave enough thread open at the bottom of the lock nut so that Araldite doesn’t seep up through the nut,  forever fusing the nut and bolt together.

Once I was happy that the Araldite had worked, I could go about getting the thing wired up!  :152:
    Decided on the Wires going along the same side as the battery terminals, over the fuse box and to the back of the bike, shown below

I came across many Topics, that talked about the infamous “switched live under the top box” from the tail light loom. I thought about using it, but on closer inspection the previous owner had pulled a switched live (not a great job, I must add) from the white plug in the photo below to power a satnav:

So I cut the wires from the old Satnav (red arrow) and used the switch live (green wire) to power the relay inside the FZ-1.
    Across to the left side of the bike (yellow arrow) and along the newly installed +12V & Earth. (Green arrow)

Got the multimeter out and tested the Constant & Switched curcuits and it worked perfectly.
    Happy lad.
    And that’s pretty much a wrap.

I will see how well the Araldite nuts hold up on the next couple of rides. If they break off I’ll have to find another way.

Thanks if you made it this far, and hopefully it’ll help someone out there wondering what to do.

:763: :418:

Last Edit: Jan 18, 2022, 09.15 pm by CoopDoggyDogXCA

• Offline Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4686

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    Re: How I wired my Auxiliary Fuse box 800xca
    Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10.34 pm
    Jan 18, 2022, 10.34 pm
     :028: ... well done.

Same thing, but 'Gen 2' bike and only difference is with switched supply from tail light. :002:
    (.... and slipped a fuse puller in there)
    https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,27814.0.html
    Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Offline CoopDoggyDogXCA   gb

• Tiger Cub  ‐    5
    • Topic Author

Offline CoopDoggyDogXCA

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: 800 XCA
    Re: How I wired my Auxiliary Fuse box 800xca
    Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2022, 11.06 pm
    Jan 18, 2022, 11.06 pm
    *Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
    :028: ... well done.

Same thing, but 'Gen 2' bike and only difference is with switched supply from tail light. :002:
    (.... and slipped a fuse puller in there)
    https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,27814.0.html

Ah man, the search results didn’t bring anything up  :187: that would have been rather helpful at the time haha

winded-staunch