Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Tiger 800 XCA Gen 3 (2020) Servicing  (Read 1272 times)

• Online Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4686

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    Re: Tiger 800 XCA Gen 3 (2020) Servicing
    Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2022, 06.36 pm
    Jan 19, 2022, 06.36 pm
    *Originally Posted by peterjfox69 [+]
    ... when I discovered that the hourly rate at my local Triumph Dealer is 120 per hour!

I don't know the current Plymouth dealer rate but it was 66/hrs 3yrs ago. Like most things I expect the closer you get to London the more expensive the labour rate. :027:
    Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Online Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4686

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2022, 07.00 pm
    Jan 19, 2022, 07.00 pm
    *Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
    It was originally listed as a one off, like issue 14 of the service schedule, but became a repeat 12k service item some years ago. It is certainly showing on the latest schedule I have, issue 18, as every 12k. I've just done mine at 24k and it was needed, my inlet camshaft was clearly lagging due to chain stretch. :028:

We discussed this some years ago and it appeared even Triumph were unsure. :027:

Issue 2014 ... camshaft timing a 12k one-off ...

... but in 2016 issue appeared to have been dropped off the schedule ...

... and on the 2018 issue a repeat requirement.

These are copies of schedules I have so I don't know if there was a 2017 issue released so if not the dealer would have used the 2016 issue in 2017 and it would explain why my camshaft timing is so far out at 24k having not been checked on the 12k service. Also at 12k I wasn't charged any extra for valve shimming and at 24k I have only found 5 acceptable to me, mid-tolerance specifications. Managed to correct another 3 with swops and bought 4 new shims, all now smack bang on mid-tolerance spec. :028:
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Offline peterjfox69   00

• Tiger Member  ‐    30
    • Topic Author

Offline peterjfox69

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: Tiger XCA800Gen3
    Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2022, 07.59 pm
    Jan 19, 2022, 07.59 pm
    My local dealer (Destination Triumph Washington) told me that over the last two years the hourly has gone though the roof due to money lost during the lockdowns etc.
    Makes sense to use that as an excuse although it certainly doesn't make it right!
    The dealer I purchased the bike of who is miles away in Norfolk has offered to do it for 450!  That's pretty much half both Destination Triumphs price and West London Triumph in Byfleet.
    Trouble is it's a three hour bike ride.
    Any excuse for a ride I suppose but still!
    Anyways, thanks for all your replies.
    Good to know for the future...

• Online Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4686

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2022, 08.13 pm
    Jan 19, 2022, 08.13 pm
    I went off to clarify my last post as I realised that I thought my camshaft timing wasn't in the schedule then spotted the correct schedule for 12k did indeed have the task ticked off as done and was in edit mode modifying my post but when I went to save I was informed editing mode had timed out ... so here is my corrected post:

It was originally listed as a one off, like issue 14 of the service schedule, but became a repeat 12k service item some years ago. It is certainly showing on the latest schedule I have, issue 18, as every 12k. I've just done mine at 24k and it was needed, my inlet camshaft was clearly lagging due to chain stretch. :028:[/quote]

We discussed this some years ago and it appeared even Triumph were unsure. :027:
    I initially had my Tiger on a 3yr service contract as it saved quite a bit compared to the total price of 3 individual services so these are my actual service schedule sheets shown.

Issue 14 (02.2014) ... camshaft timing a 12k one-off ...

... but in issue 16 (01.2016) appeared the task appeared to have been dropped off the schedule and this was the issue used for my 6k service, so N/A anyway ...

... and on the issue 18 (05.2017) back as a 12k repeat requirement and used for my12k service. The same schedule was used again for the 18k service.

My camshaft timing is so far out at 24k, though ticked off as checked along with valve clearances, and being on a service contract that I.m not convinced either camshaft timing or valve clearances were given the attention they should have, I wasn't charged any extra for valve shimming and at 24k I have only found 5 acceptable to me, mid-tolerance specifications. Managed to correct another 3 with swops and bought 4 new shims, all now smack bang on mid-tolerance spec. :028:

• Offline Thripster   gb

• Tiger Pro  ‐    131

Offline Thripster

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800
    Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2022, 08.30 pm
    Feb 02, 2022, 08.30 pm
    I had experienced stalling when pulling away from junctions (obviously dangerous due to risk of rear end shunt) and had put it down to my riding style......perhaps riding the rear brake. However, I heard a comment on MeTunnel alluding to the fact that cam timing/valve clearance could be the cause of this. Not having ridden any other Tiger 800 (probably foolishly), I was unaware that there might have been any problem. As a result of all that, decided to check cam timing and valve clearances. All bar one exhaust valves were tight and one at 0.28mm. Measured stone cold. Bike mileage 5400 odd. Anyway, had an opportunity to test the results of the work to find the bike now rides like a dream. It was good before (apart from aforementioned) but is now exceptional. I am so glad that the courage was plucked to tackle the job. Service light reset using Tiger 800XC's software for which I am most grateful. Hope this might encourage others to have a go.