Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Speedo dropout and other woes  (Read 1739 times)

• Offline Banksy73   gb

• Tiger Cub  ‐    7
    • Topic Author

Offline Banksy73

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XCX
    Re: Speedo dropout and other woes
    Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2022, 07.07 pm
    Feb 15, 2022, 07.07 pm
    *Originally Posted by Snownorge [+]
    Hard exactly the same on mine,new reg/rec cured it.

Sounds like I might be able to go direct for a new reg/rec rather than buying a voltage monitor and getting confirmation that the voltage is all over the place. Oh wait, I've already ordered the voltage monitor.

As for a replacement reg/rec, I'm a little uncertain where to source this. I've read the 2018 thread in which StevieP recounts the tale of replacing his R/R in time for the Megameet, in which he wrestles (mentally, obviously) with various options (FH020AA? FH012AB? etc).

I'd appreciate any advice of part specification and possible suppliers of a suitable R/R. My Tiger is a 2016 XRX (so no heated seat - ludicrous idea!)

Apologies if this sounds a bit needy but I'm all at sea on stuff like this. Oh yes, and I don't want to end up paying Triumph's exorbitant margin.

• Offline Londonglide   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    283

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: XC
    Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2022, 07.20 pm
    Feb 15, 2022, 07.20 pm

As for a replacement reg/rec, I'm a little uncertain where to source this. I've read the 2018 thread in which StevieP recounts the tale of replacing his R/R in time for the Megameet, in which he wrestles (mentally, obviously) with various options (FH020AA? FH012AB? etc).

My thoughts
    FH012  Original from 2011
    FH020  Replacement from around 2015
    AA/AB suffix are not really indicative of anything we need to worry about.
    Either OK, but my experience was the 020 was more stable, however, I used lots of Di-electric grease on my connections, so maybe that helped.
    Fit OEM, not aftermarket, unless its a Ricksport thing. Used oem  would be my preference rather than unbranded, even from respected dealers.
    YMMV, as they say.

If your quick

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275156410402

Last Edit: Feb 15, 2022, 07.22 pm by Londonglide

• Offline awjdthumper   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    899

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XCA
    Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2022, 07.46 pm
    Feb 15, 2022, 07.46 pm
    I would definitely do the voltage monitor test during a ride around the block as it is a lot of trouble to replace the existing R/R and it may be unnecessary. However, if at any point during the test the voltage goes above, say 15 V, then the R/R will almost certainly need replacing. As said, it's best to replace with an Shindengen OEM R/R because they don't all work the same way and other makes may be less reliable.
    Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT500 + collection of classic British bikes

• Online Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4829

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2022, 01.11 pm
    Feb 16, 2022, 01.11 pm
    *Originally Posted by Banksy73 [+]
    I've read the 2018 thread in which StevieP recounts the tale of replacing his R/R in time for the Megameet, in which he wrestles (mentally, obviously) with various options (FH020AA? FH012AB? etc).

I'd appreciate any advice of part specification and possible suppliers of a suitable R/R. My Tiger is a 2016 XRX (so no heated seat - ludicrous idea!)

No, I didn't really have any wrestling with options just hassle getting what I wanted fast and preferably cheaper then Triumph price. I wanted a replacement FH020AA and eventually ordered one from my dealer but when it arrived Triumph had fobbed me off with an old model FH012AB packaged under the FH020AA part number and I suspect they were sneakily clearing old stock. :023:

I would definitely stick with FH020AA as your replacement and I'm also in the buy a genuine (new or s/h) Shendingen one group, not a cheap pattern one.

As for heated seats .... I only got the XRt because at the time I fancied a change from boring black/white/blue option of the other models and I really liked the orange. I had no interest in the heated gizmos .... until I tried them and now I wouldn't want to give them up (and others here have voiced the same). The seat heats the base of the spine, a major blood flow point around the body and as such is really appreciated as an all year around rider and though I've removed the hard Triumph heated seats I was fortunate enough that the super Sargent seats I bought on here had a heated front one. :028:
    Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Offline Banksy73   gb

• Tiger Cub  ‐    7
    • Topic Author

Offline Banksy73

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2022, 10.51 am
    Feb 18, 2022, 10.51 am
    Update: I've ordered a plug-in voltage monitor and a reg/rec (FH020AA). But I'll take AJWDthumper's advice and run the voltage monitor on the bike before attempting to replace the reg/rec.

Thanks for all your help, guys. I'll let you know whether the remedy solves the problem. :763:

• Offline Banksy73   gb

• Tiger Cub  ‐    7
    • Topic Author

Offline Banksy73

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    Reply #15 on: Jun 11, 2022, 05.45 pm
    Jun 11, 2022, 05.45 pm
    This is a bit late. But just to let you know that I replaced the reg/rec with a 40 second-hand one off eBay. Bingo! Problem solved.

So thanks to everyone who helped with info etc. 

• Offline Tiggerton   gb

• Tiger Pro  ‐    226

Offline Tiggerton

• Tiger Pro
    • GTPro
    • Bike/Model: 900 GTPro 2021
    Reply #16 on: Jun 13, 2022, 03.31 am
    Jun 13, 2022, 03.31 am
    I had this problem on the 800. The wiring from the rear wheel sensor had shorted to the cable clip on top of the swing arm.

Regards
    Honda 90 c200, Norton Dominator 99, Triumph (Saint) T110, Triumph 750 T140 ES, Triumph Bantam Cub, Triumph Tiger Cub, BSA 650 Golden Flash, Honda CBF 1000, Triumph Sprint GT, Tiger 800 XrX low. 2018 Tiger 800 XRT.

winded-staunch