Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Where did my fuel go?  (Read 1689 times)

• Online awjdthumper   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    822

Online awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XCA
    Re: Where did my fuel go?
    Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2022, 02.19 pm
    Mar 17, 2022, 02.19 pm
    Modern bikes are packed with electronic gizmos and it doesn't take much for them to give a problem sometimes. If the worst that you have suffered is a reset fuel gauge, I honestly wouldn't loose any sleep over it especially as the bike still has plenty of warranty left :084:
    Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT500 + collection of classic British bikes

• Offline motojon

• Tiger Cub  ‐    3

Offline motojon

• Tiger Cub
    • Rock Hard Ride Free
    • Bike/Model: Tiger Xcx 800
    Reply #11 on: May 14, 2022, 02.28 pm
    May 14, 2022, 02.28 pm
    I'm seeing the same thing with my bike (XCx 800, 2015) since this morning. Been riding her to work everyday and had about five bars on the fuel gauge. This morning turned in the ignition key and nothing registered on the fuel gauge, started the bike nevertheless and rode up a few metres and the fuel warning light came on. Checked the tank,   fuel sloshing all over the place. It is a bit unnerving, the nearest showroom is like 200 kms away and I'm presently in a small town with no garages worth the name. Do I just ride it a bit and see if the gauge resumes normal functioning or call the showroom chaps???

• Offline fac191   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    1907

Offline fac191

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: Super Tenere ES
    Reply #12 on: May 14, 2022, 03.36 pm
    May 14, 2022, 03.36 pm
    If you get in the habit of resetting a trip when you refuel its a much more reliable gauge of how much fuel you have used.

• Offline TheRealGoldfish

• Tiger Member  ‐    26
    • Topic Author

Offline TheRealGoldfish

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: 850 Sport
    Reply #13 on: May 14, 2022, 04.30 pm
    May 14, 2022, 04.30 pm
    When this happened to me the bike ran fine - as it should since it was full of fuel. The fuel gauge returned to normal after about a mile or so and the range went up from zero. It's scary when it happens.  I thought the bike would die but it didn't. I still have no explanation and its not happened to me since.

And to the other point, I always use a trip meter as a range indicator - and have done since before the time bikes has fuel gauges!

• Online Thripster   gb

• Tiger Pro  ‐    142

Online Thripster

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800
    Reply #14 on: May 14, 2022, 07.02 pm
    May 14, 2022, 07.02 pm
    Have had this after shaking the bike vigorously whilst on it's centre stand and with the engine off. Turned the ignition on and no fuel showing. A mile ride or so sorted it. The shaking was from front to back. The shaking was to test deacceleration activated auxiliary, flashing brake light.

• Online Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4764

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    Reply #15 on: May 14, 2022, 10.19 pm
    May 14, 2022, 10.19 pm
    *Originally Posted by fac191 [+]
    If you get in the habit of resetting a trip when you refuel its a much more reliable gauge of how much fuel you have used.

:0461: That's what I always use 'Trip 1' for. :028:
    Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Offline K1W1   au

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5191

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
    • Up in the hills
    • Bike/Model: XRX
    Reply #16 on: May 14, 2022, 11.26 pm
    May 14, 2022, 11.26 pm
    The fuel gauge not showing commonly happens if the bike is not started correctly. For example if you push the starter button to quickly before the gauges have done their sweep or the fuel pump is properly primed to pressurize the injectors. Generally itís operator error that causes it to happen. It is a sign that the electronics are not happy and it will clear itself after riding a distance or if you turn the bike off wait for 30 seconds or so then make sure you restart it properly.

• Offline TheRealGoldfish

• Tiger Member  ‐    26
    • Topic Author

Offline TheRealGoldfish

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: 850 Sport
    Reply #17 on: May 15, 2022, 02.07 pm
    May 15, 2022, 02.07 pm
    Appreciate the comment but this issue shows zero fuel and range from the point when you turn the key and BEFORE the starter is pressed. It does not reset no matter how long you wait before starting - but did after starting and then riding a mile or so. Didn't shake the bike either - parked up normally at work and when about to leave at the end of the day got the warning light and zero fuel on turning the key. On this occasion it wasn't operator error  :006:

• Offline motojon

• Tiger Cub  ‐    3

Offline motojon

• Tiger Cub
    • Rock Hard Ride Free
    • Bike/Model: Tiger Xcx 800
    Reply #18 on: May 16, 2022, 12.43 pm
    May 16, 2022, 12.43 pm
    I do agree to the above, fuel gauge did not register the fuel before I hit the starter, also did the on/off drill... no go. The day before when I parked up after work it was perfect! Anyway must add, took her out for a little spin in the evening and in not more than about 200 Mts the fuel gauge bars began appearing as it usually does after a refill and the warning light went off. Strange! 

• Offline healdem   england

• ....has a fluffy tube
    • Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    4643

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
    • Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: 2011 800 ABS
    Reply #19 on: May 17, 2022, 04.04 am
    May 17, 2022, 04.04 am
    I would suspect its a dicky fuel level sensor or connection between the sensor and the ecu, or worse a developing ecu fault.

It's unlikely the ecu uses averaging to calculate range, more likely exponential smoothing (ES)... similar effect as averaging but computationally much easier..
    'Averaging' fuel level readings could also rely on exponential smoothing or just use an electrical form of dampening. When using ES you need a last known (stored) value, the current value and the dampening factor. Missing either if the two values means no result. Given the time taken to register refuelling I'd suspect the level sensor is fairly heavily damped.

Theoretically ES should re establish itself in a few calculation cycles after 'losing' the old value. 

It could be a sticky fuel sensor, that would be an easier fix than a dicky ECU. If the bike starts, it's unlikely to be low voltage.

winded-staunch