Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Bike not starting  (Read 1309 times)

• Offline DaveP   gb

• Tiger Cub  ‐    6
    • Topic Author

Offline DaveP

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: 2012 Tiger 800
    Re: Bike not starting
    Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2022, 09.49 am
    Mar 29, 2022, 09.49 am
    The Rickís starter motor lasted about 500 miles (fitted last autumn). Will try a new battery in the multimeter before replacing.  Im expecting the triumph replacement to be a ďkitĒ with new starter gear with 2 additional teeth. Will read Stevie.Pís article and Iím guessing the starter gear is a pig to fit! In the meantime Iím off to Scotland with my old heat sensitive starter in so lots of long stops waiting for it to cool again no doubt! 🙄

• Online Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4829

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2022, 12.40 pm
    Mar 29, 2022, 12.40 pm
    *Originally Posted by DaveP [+]
    ... Iím guessing the starter gear is a pig to fit!

No, the biggest pain was getting the disconnected alternator harness plug from the R/R through the very congested headstock area where all the other wiring, numerous plugs/sockets and immobiliser ECU sit so you can remove the alternator cover. Once you have the alternator cover off there is simply a loose shaft that you withdraw from the gear pinion and remove the gear and refit the new one and reinsert the shaft. It's just a lot of extra work relative to the 1 minute task of changing the gear pinion. :003:

The plug has to come through this lot. :230:

Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Online Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4829

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2022, 12.51 pm
    Mar 29, 2022, 12.51 pm
    *Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
    Modern multimeters are battery powered and, when the battery runs down, they can display the wrong voltage. This recently happened to me with my multimeter giving a 13.7 V battery voltage rather than the correct 12.7V. After changing the PP9 battery, the accuracy returned :084:

:762: ... it's one of those things we tend to forget, especially on equipment we don't use very often. I just checked mine and the battery (an industrial one :164:) is dated 'Fit by 2018' ... guess I'll have to start buying replacements (along with ones for the smoke alarm batteries  :015: ).

Similar happened yesterday at the gym (cardio sessions), the trainer pointed out the importance of those with GKN sprays to check that they are in date as they become useless once expired. Mine is ok until November but another guy next to me, who's had a triple by-pass and stents, pulled his out of his bag to discover it expired in 2018. :005:
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Offline DaveP   gb

• Tiger Cub  ‐    6
    • Topic Author

Offline DaveP

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: 2012 Tiger 800
    Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2022, 03.04 pm
    Mar 29, 2022, 03.04 pm
    Thanks awjdthumper and Stevie.P, your advice is greatly appreciated.  Iím waiting to hear from Rickís. If they offer to replace for free, I will have a decision to make otherwise Iíll go with the £500+ triumph kit 😕 and move onÖ.in the meantime, I need to get riding! 🏍🏍🏍😊

• Online Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4829

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2022, 03.20 pm
    Mar 29, 2022, 03.20 pm
    As you would have read in my starter motor thread I weighed up the pro's and con's and decided to bite the bullet and pay out for the genuine new parts in the hope I won't have any starter motor issues for some time to come ... preferably not again at all. :027: