Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] 2016 800 XRT fork revalve question  (Read 890 times)

• Offline littlefield

• Tiger Cub  ‐    8
    • Topic Author

Offline littlefield

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
    Re: 2016 800 XRT fork revalve question
    Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 12.57 am
    May 10, 2022, 12.57 am
    Iím familiar with Triumphs so other brands may have different philosophy. The Triumphs Iíve owned have been under sprung and over damped for my taste. My weight is 95kg which is likely on the heavier side of the typical rider. I donít think itís a cost saving thing, itís just the way they set them up. With no preload adjustment, if you change springs the spacer must be cut the correct length.

• Offline Greenman   gb

• Tiger Member  ‐    45

Offline Greenman

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XRx
    Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 08.17 am
    May 10, 2022, 08.17 am
    Iím 80kg (176lb) ready to ride.  My only other Triumph was a Tiger 955 and the fork springs were too soft in that; I changed them and it did make a big improvement. Other bikes: a Honda VTR1000 and Yamaha Tracer 900 both had the same treatment but I only checked sag on the Yamaha and that needed full preload to achieve the correct sag.

Right now I feel that, for me, the first suspension mod would be a new rear shock as the back end does squirm around a bit when Iím pressing on.

Itís interesting what you say about damping, that always seems more difficult and expensive to change so we do the easy thing first and change the springs- itís probably more important anyway.
    Just doing as much as I can for as long as I can.

• Offline littlefield

• Tiger Cub  ‐    8
    • Topic Author

Offline littlefield

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
    Reply #12 on: May 11, 2022, 07.22 pm
    May 11, 2022, 07.22 pm
    I've gotten the Ktech valves fitted. Fitted .8 kg/mm springs at the same time. There is nothing particularly difficult about it but there are measurements that need to be taken, a couple of things that aren't obvious required for disassembly and some special tools that make it easier but are not mandatory. All this is available on line. The only thing I found a little hard was getting the seal reseated. I don't have a special installation tool so I ended up splitting the old seal, wrapping around the tube and using it as an installation aid. Like lots of other things the second fork went twice as fast as the first.
    I've only taken a couple of rides around town. The edges on the bumps are definitely smoother. Bigger holes are not cushy. We're heading up to Colorado this weekend so I'll get a chance to see if there are any handling quirks. I preloaded the springs 30mm and haven't taken the time to measure the sag.
    I've attached a picture of the old and new base valves. There must be a low speed bleed hole on the Showa unit somewhere but for the life of me I can't find it. The base diameter support on the Ktech unit is much smaller so it will be softer.
    They were nice enough to include one of flow control valves (clicker) but it doesn't seem to go anywhere. It looks like it belongs on top of the fork cap but the damper rod is solid so there's not way for it to do anything. I contacted the US distributor who is suppose to be getting some installation instructions. It's been a couple of days so I feel like this is not the right piece of hardware.
    I'm happy except for the confusion over the valve. But I'm a little whacky, I enjoy doing this kind of thing.

winded-staunch