Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] To buy or not to buy?  (Read 3492 times)

• Offline Tripple3

• Tiger Member  ‐    45

Offline Tripple3

• Tiger Member
    Re: To buy or not to buy?
    Reply #20 on: May 11, 2022, 07.08 pm
    May 11, 2022, 07.08 pm
    Try a Yamaha Tracer 900, I had a short ride and found the engine far superior to the Tiger 900.

• Offline hans471   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    24

Offline hans471

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 900 GT Pro
    Reply #21 on: May 12, 2022, 02.55 am
    May 12, 2022, 02.55 am
    *Originally Posted by Tripple3 [+]
    Try a Yamaha Tracer 900, I had a short ride and found the engine far superior to the Tiger 900.

While researching these bikes I saw many positive comments about its engine. But, I also read posts like this one on another forum:

"I traded in a tracer to get my tiger.
    You'll find once you put some time in the saddle on your new tracer that Yamaha keeps the price down by skimping on some of the nicer touches a triumph has.
    You'll also come to find that the Yamaha 900 doesnt run as smooth as the triumph engine."

From all I learned while researching these bikes and from what I learned speaking with owners of them I decided to go with the Triumph. BUT, one must always consider the rider himself (physical qualities) , the type of riding they will actually be doing and what aspects of the bike are most important. I set aside price as an issue, I just wanted the best bike for me. I ride the back country roads of Kentucky and the Tiger is just perfect for that and is a very natural fit and feel for me.  But, that is just me and I openly admit that I am a long time Triumph fan.

• Offline peterjfox69   00

• Tiger Member  ‐    33

Offline peterjfox69

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: Tiger XCA800Gen3
    Reply #22 on: May 16, 2022, 09.30 pm
    May 16, 2022, 09.30 pm
    I've owned there Tiger 800's, Gens 1-3.  The Gen 3 XCA is the real deal, it lacks nothing (rather annoying gear whine from the straight cut on the imput shaft after they removed the backlash gears) aside.
    Smooth engine which is perfect for motorway cruising, great off road, and bullet proof.  Loads of cool ad ons and good value.  I picked up a brand new one in 2020 for £9999 with panniers.
    I tried the 900 but found the vibes really annoying at around 75-80mph, same with the new 1200.
    Trouble is, if you have come from the old triple engines the t-plane just misses the spot.  That's because they aren't the Triumph Triple.  They're a hybrid that's not sure what it is. 
    The reason why I buy Triumph bikes is because of the engine, simple as that.
    I've ridden and owned most of the other makes but found the triple to be just what I wanted.
    Now they've decided to get ride of the reason you buy a Triumph to replace it with, er, a bit of this and a bit of that?!
    I wanted to upgrade to a bigger bike as I intend to do more touring and although the 800 is great, it's a bit manic over long periods but because it's smooth, it's doable.
    Now I'm getting older I want a bit more finesse.
    The Gen 3 Explorer is perfect but a bit of a lump.
    The new 900 and 1200 would be great with the 180 degree Triple but they don't make them.
    You either stick with your 800 or change brand, none of that seems a great move by Triumph.

• Offline Ali   gb

• Tiger Member  ‐    14
    • Topic Author

Offline Ali

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: Africa Twin
    Reply #23 on: May 17, 2022, 10.32 am
    May 17, 2022, 10.32 am
    Original poster here again.
    So, having tried quite a few bikes now I have taken the advice of a couple of you (above) and bought myself a secondhand 3rd gen (2019) 800.
    I got a very low mileage one in superb condition and saved myself a good few £000. And it's fantastic - does everything I could want. I still think the 900 is better in all but the vibes - but this 800 is brilliant for me for the time being.
    Only problem being the Tourance tyres, they tramline very badly. Problem is there's loads of tread left. I'd better put a few miles on it so that I can get rid of them soon.

• Tiger Member  ‐    33

Offline peterjfox69

• Tiger Member
    Reply #24 on: May 17, 2022, 06.25 pm
    May 17, 2022, 06.25 pm
    *Originally Posted by Ali [+]
    So, having tried quite a few bikes now I have taken the advice of a couple of you (above) and bought myself a secondhand 3rd gen (2019) 800.
    I got a very low mileage one in superb condition and saved myself a good few £000. And it's fantastic - does everything I could want. I still think the 900 is better in all but the vibes - but this 800 is brilliant for me for the time being.
    Only problem being the Tourance tyres, they tramline very badly. Problem is there's loads of tread left. I'd better put a few miles on it so that I can get rid of them soon.

Well done, it was the decision I made in 2020.  Really like the 900 but not the vibes (and still don't)  The 800 will be with me for quite a while now me thinks unless they bring out the 180 Triple in the 1200 which I'm pretty sure they won't.

Enjoy your new steed.

Here's my 800 I had it painted when I bought it as I fancied something a bit different.  I had this carried out before they brought out the bond 900 :

• Offline coach   us

• Tiger Pro  ‐    214

Offline coach

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: 2021 Tiger 900GT
    Reply #25 on: May 17, 2022, 06.41 pm
    May 17, 2022, 06.41 pm
    Well done Ali.  Iím sure youíll love your T800.   :028:

As Iíve mentioned before, I donít find any vibe issues with my T900 but also as mentioned I donít ride mine at ďsuper-slabĒ highway speeds often due to where I live.  The one big improvement I must say on my T900 over my T800 is improved engine heat management on the T900 which hasnít been mentioned here.  But that may not be such an issue over there in Great Britain as it might not get terribly hot there, I dunnoí.  :187:
    Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 06.43 pm by coach
    coach - 2021 Tiger 900 GT

2016 Tiger 800 XCx - 2012 R1200GS - 2007 1050 Tiger & 2010 1050 Tiger-SE  (All sold)
    Plus over a dozen other bikes that I loose track of but my wife constantly reminds me of.  :006:  North Conway, New Hampshire

• Offline Mrski1   scotland

• Tiger Member  ‐    77

Offline Mrski1

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XC
    Reply #26 on: May 18, 2022, 04.47 am
    May 18, 2022, 04.47 am
    *Originally Posted by Ali [+]

Excellent, I'm sure you will get the enjoyment out of the bike and it sounds like you got a great deal.

• Offline Tripple3

• Tiger Member  ‐    45

Offline Tripple3

• Tiger Member
    Reply #27 on: May 19, 2022, 09.49 am
    May 19, 2022, 09.49 am
    Great choice I was going to purchase a 900 before the extended road test but did not due to the terrible engine vibration. I kept my 800 as I am lucky and also have a 1200. I will have an extended test of a Tracer 900 2 up and maybe go for that. I will also have an extended test of the new 1200 but if the engine vibration is as bad as the 900 then Triumph have lost 2 sales off myself. I have been riding Triumph triples since 1994 and found all the 120 degree crank engines excellent.

• Tiger Member  ‐    33

Offline peterjfox69

• Tiger Member
    Reply #28 on: May 19, 2022, 09.50 pm
    May 19, 2022, 09.50 pm
    Great choice I was going to purchase a 900 before the extended road test but did not due to the terrible engine vibration. I kept my 800 as I am lucky and also have a 1200. I will have an extended test of a Tracer 900 2 up and maybe go for that. I will also have an extended test of the new 1200 but if the engine vibration is as bad as the 900 then Triumph have lost 2 sales off myself. I have been riding Triumph triples since 1994 and found all the 120 degree crank engines excellent.

Couldn't agree more, such a shame they changed the engine. 

• Offline Patchinko   gb

• Tiger Member  ‐    22

Offline Patchinko

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800
    Reply #29 on: May 20, 2022, 08.30 am
    May 20, 2022, 08.30 am

Before buying a used tiger 800 I was looking for a Tracer 900 GT. I looked at many but all except one or two very low mileage, nearly new examples showed signs of wear and tear and corrosion.  They are nice bikes but are obviously built to a budget and do not stand up to the test of time. The tigers I looked at were in much better nick for their age/mileage and that was one of the deciding factors for me.

winded-staunch