Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] SouthWest (UK) Blast to Wales - Fri/Sat 13/14 May  (Read 225 times)

• Offline T800XC   ua

• Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    2679
    • Topic Author

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 1200 XRT
    SouthWest (UK) Blast to Wales - Fri/Sat 13/14 May
    on: May 10, 2022, 11.48 am
    May 10, 2022, 11.48 am
    Having been unable to attend this year's MegaMeet, a few of us from Torquay are heading to Wales at the end of this week for an overnighter mini-tour blast around some of the great roads on offer and within easy reach.

We'll probably cover over 500 miles in 2 days, but half of that will be unavoidable motorways just to get to/from Wales. The rest will mostly be on roads that I've travelled in the past, either on day rides etc, or inspired (read 'plagiarised') from routes that Dallewed has taken us on.

We're heading up on Friday morning and heading home late Saturday afternoon. The ride up (just over 200 miles) will take us initially to Cardiff Gate Services, then in a bit of a loop for around 90 miles up across the Brecons to our overnight stop at the Trout Inn, Beulah.

The Saturday ride is likely to be around 135 miles that will take in Devil's Staircase, Llyn Brianne Reservoir, Elan Valley Loop & Visitors Centre and then down to Brecon. After that we'll probably take a fairly direct route home from Brecon, about 160 miles to Torquay. Should be nothing gnarly or with excess grass down the middle of the road, or at least from what I recall or have seen on Google streetview.

You should be able to see the routes here...

Friday:- https://goo.gl/maps/9Xj2oaoWrYiqAL2s6

Saturday:- https://goo.gl/maps/w8HtSieNyLFSSvhH8

If any of the usual crowd (and others of course) are interested in joining us for any part of the ride, feel free. Just post a reply here so I know when / where to look out for you!

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

• Offline Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4669

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    Re: SouthWest (UK) Blast to Wales - Fri/Sat 13/14 May
    Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 05.31 pm
    May 10, 2022, 05.31 pm
    *Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
    ... If any of the usual crowd (and others of course) are interested in joining us ...

:034: ... can't make it unfortunately .... too busy enjoying the sunshine and empty twisty Normandy roads (or lanes by UK standards).  :001: :305:
    Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Offline bazthebike   gb

• Tiger Pro  ‐    101

Offline bazthebike

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: Explorer/900GT
    Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 05.27 pm
    May 12, 2022, 05.27 pm
    Would join you if her indoors wasnt working. we were there last month for three days. I usually boot up to jct 15 an up through tintern and coffee in monmouth. I see your going through treochy, bout 3 miles out from there you have bwlch mountain with fantastic view but no facilities. Ah well will have to wait till half term.

• Offline T800XC   ua

• Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    2679
    • Topic Author

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 1200 XRT
    Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 06.17 pm
    May 12, 2022, 06.17 pm
    *Originally Posted by bazthebike [+]
    I see your going through treochy, bout 3 miles out from there you have bwlch mountain with fantastic view but no facilities.

Good shout.  :028:

I'd forgotten about that road. I'll tweak our route to exit at J34 instead, then we can pickup the Ely Valley Road.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

winded-staunch