Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] First Crash  (Read 2330 times)

• Offline Mrski1   scotland

• Tiger Member  ‐    77
    • Topic Author

Offline Mrski1

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XC
    First Crash
    on: May 16, 2022, 01.18 pm
    May 16, 2022, 01.18 pm
    Well, it has taken three years, but I was involved in my first crash at the weekend on my 2014 Tiger 800 SE.

Negotiating a large 'roundabout', I entered the lane marked for straight on or turn right, a Mini Cooper S entered behind and went into the lane marked right turn only. I intended on taking the second exit, and as I approached the first exit checked over my shoulder and saw the Mini on the inside lane, I then started leaning the bike into the corner to miss the first exit, when, in my side vision I spotted the front of the Mini heading directly towards me, and into my lane. I picked up the bike a little, before taking the impact from the car on my leg and HEED crash bars, it shoved the bike to the left down the first exit, and I somehow managed to stay on, grabbing the clutch as my right hand pulled the throttle on impact. I then aimed the bike away from the pedestrian crossing barriers in the middle of the road and safely came to a stop.

The driver of the Mini eventually owned up to just following his sat-nav, hence the drastic maneuver from the right turn only lane, to make the first exit from the roundabout, despite knowing I was there.

Thankfully I am OK, with some bruising to my lower right leg. Initially, the bike appeared to have come away relatively unscathed with the HEED bars taking the majority of the impact, but looking over the bike once home I noticed the pillion pegs have bent, with hairline cracks the full circumference at the weld.

I now have a wait for the insurers to collect the bike and assess the damage. I am extremely disappointed and annoyed that not only did one stupid decision put me at risk, but the bike I spent a long time looking for, which was in like-new condition, and I have only owned since July 2021, is now damaged.

I can highly recommend the HEED bars though, they did a great job taking the worst of the impact, and actually, the bumper, wing, and bonnet of the mini came off much worse.

• Offline BikerDan   gb

• Tiger Cub  ‐    4

Offline BikerDan

• Tiger Cub
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800
    Re: First Crash
    Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 01.40 pm
    May 16, 2022, 01.40 pm
    Glad you're ok man. Could have been a lot worse by the sounds of it. You find so many drivers now a days paying more attention to their sat nav than the road. Can be scary in a car never mind being on a bike.

• Online T800XC   ua

• Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    2707

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 1200 XRT
    Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 02.16 pm
    May 16, 2022, 02.16 pm
    *Originally Posted by Mrski1 [+]
    ...but looking over the bike once home I noticed the pillion pegs have bent, with hairline cracks the full circumference at the weld.

I now have a wait for the insurers to collect the bike and assess the damage.
    I really hope the following isn't the case for you, but I'm sure we've seen other instances on here where a damaged pillion peg hanger has lead to the bike being written off. Probably why later models have bolted on peg hangers. Keeping things crossed for you.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

• Tiger Member  ‐    77
    • Topic Author

Offline Mrski1

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 02.25 pm
    May 16, 2022, 02.25 pm
    *Originally Posted by BikerDan [+]
    Glad you're ok man. Could have been a lot worse by the sounds of it. You find so many drivers now a days paying more attention to their sat nav than the road. Can be scary in a car never mind being on a bike.

Absolutely, just find it really odd that despite knowing I was there, as he followed me onto the roundabout, he still chose to turn towards me in a blind panic of missing a turn-off, when he could have just gone around again.  :187:
    Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 02.29 pm by Mrski1

• Tiger Member  ‐    77
    • Topic Author

Offline Mrski1

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 02.28 pm
    May 16, 2022, 02.28 pm
    *Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
    I really hope the following isn't the case for you, but I'm sure we've seen other instances on here where a damaged pillion peg hanger has lead to the bike being written off. Probably why later models have bolted on peg hangers. Keeping things crossed for you.

I'd heard that too, the red powder coating on the frame is cracked also, so I imagine any repair would require a full strip down to powder coat the frame again? Possibly why it's so costly to repair  :187:

• Offline BikerDan   gb

• Tiger Cub  ‐    4

Offline BikerDan

• Tiger Cub
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800
    Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 02.48 pm
    May 16, 2022, 02.48 pm
    *Originally Posted by Mrski1 [+]
    Absolutely, just find it really odd that despite knowing I was there, as he followed me onto the roundabout, he still chose to turn towards me in a blind panic of missing a turn-off, when he could have just gone around again.  :187:

Ah now you see, that's where you have gone wrong. Not everyone on the road has common sense when it comes to driving!!  :745:

• Online PapaTom   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    1184

Online PapaTom

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: Blue XRx (Gen2)
    Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 04.22 pm
    May 16, 2022, 04.22 pm
    Don't forget...Common sense is a flower that doesn't grow in everyones garden... :027:

Seriously though, I am often appalled at the standard of some driving on roads today.
    So many modern driving AIDS have impacted on peoples quality of driving.

Glad you are ok Mrski1. Chalk that one on your headboard.

Ride safe everyone.

:031:

• Offline Rustydog   gb

• Tiger Cub  ‐    9

Offline Rustydog

• Tiger Cub
    • Bike/Model: 2018 800 XRT
    Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 05.34 pm
    May 16, 2022, 05.34 pm
    Yep, I concur with all this. I find that sloppy lane positioning/discipline of cars on roundabouts are the biggest danger points on any ride. It seems like people just learn enough for the test day then it all goes out the window thereafter as not being particularly important. 

• Offline Shergar   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    260

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XRT
    Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 08.17 pm
    May 16, 2022, 08.17 pm
    I've lost count of the number of times I've been heading towards the M40 from Northampton and had some muppet decide to go straight on in the very clearly marked left only lane at the roundabout on the BRackley by pass. The right lane is left or straight on, or if you are a motorcyclist it's the short cut to an early exit.

• Offline ENGLISHBANDIT   scotland

• Tiger Master  ‐    457

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
    • ENGLISHBANDIT
    • Bike/Model: Tiger800 XJR1300
    Reply #9 on: May 16, 2022, 09.04 pm
    May 16, 2022, 09.04 pm
    Any crash you can walk away from is a good one, if there is such a thing that is. Been hit twice by car drivers not looking. Sadly itís life for us bikers. But I walked away from both of mine , Un like two of my good friends many years ago. Both did not make it sadly. And my wifeís friend lost a leg when he was knocked off. So if you walk away from one go buy a lottery ticket. If your frame is scratched they will write it off. So just see if you can buy it back cheap
    Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 09.06 pm by ENGLISHBANDIT
    Stand behind our troops,if not feel free to stand in front of them 😁