Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] First Crash  (Read 2329 times)

• Offline K1W1   au

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5191

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
    • Up in the hills
    • Bike/Model: XRX
    Re: First Crash
    Reply #10 on: May 16, 2022, 10.19 pm
    May 16, 2022, 10.19 pm
    *Originally Posted by Mrski1 [+]

once home I noticed the pillion pegs have bent, with hairline cracks the full circumference at the weld.

Any crash you walk away from is a good crash so that is a win.
    The bike is an insurance write off. The rear frame is bent and that will mean it is totaled by the insurance company so accept that and move on. Remove any accessories you want to keep prior to the insurance company seeing the bike as when they do whatever is on the bike when they write it off becomes theirs.

• Offline ENGLISHBANDIT   scotland

• Tiger Master  ‐    457

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
    • ENGLISHBANDIT
    • Bike/Model: Tiger800 XJR1300
    Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 08.54 am
    May 17, 2022, 08.54 am
    If you can afford it, itís always worth paying for agreed valuation pay out. It cost me £50 for each of my bikes. My 2011 tiger 800 has an agreed value pay out of £6500 and same for my xjr1300. Itís worth every penny of £50 per bike if the worst ever happens.you can buy a 2011 for as little as £3500 in poor condition and thatís all the insurance companies would want to pay out , if that. Bit late now I know but worth thinking about for your next bike.
    Stand behind our troops,if not feel free to stand in front of them 😁

• Offline Mrski1   scotland

• Tiger Member  ‐    77
    • Topic Author

Offline Mrski1

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XC
    Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 10.26 am
    May 17, 2022, 10.26 am
    Thanks all. I certainly donít ever go out on the road assuming most on the road will be sensible and behave themselves, that has saved me on a few occasions. With this one, I had carried out a shoulder check prior to entering the corner away from the first exit (it's not a traditional shape roundabout, actually lots of arguments locally if it's classed as a roundabout at all), so I knew at that point where the Mini was, so I was surprised when I saw the nose of the Mini coming towards me in my peripheral vision, it was like being dive-bombed by a hungry seagull trying to steal your chips when you look away.

I was gutted when I noticed the cracks and the bent pillion peg, as I had a suspicion it would be a write-off If that is the case.

• Offline K1W1   au

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5191

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
    • Up in the hills
    • Bike/Model: XRX
    Reply #13 on: May 17, 2022, 11.08 am
    May 17, 2022, 11.08 am
    *Originally Posted by Mrski1 [+]
    I was gutted when I noticed the cracks and the bent pillion peg, as I had a suspicion it would be a write-off If that is the case.

Itís a thing it can be replaced easily. Your life and your body canít so there is absolutely no reason to be gutted.

• Offline Mrski1   scotland

• Tiger Member  ‐    77
    • Topic Author

Offline Mrski1

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XC
    Reply #14 on: May 18, 2022, 04.34 am
    May 18, 2022, 04.34 am
    *Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
    Itís a thing it can be replaced easily. Your life and your body canít so there is absolutely no reason to be gutted.

Oh absolutely!

The bike is collected tomorrow, and I get a Honda NC750X as a courtesy bike until the insurers decide which course to take.

• Offline ZShyster   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    58

Offline ZShyster

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: 16 Tiger 18 T120
    Reply #15 on: May 18, 2022, 01.58 pm
    May 18, 2022, 01.58 pm
    Glad you are OK, the bike can be replaced.

Being from the Chicago area in the US I never saw a roundabout until I visited Boston 47 years ago.  I thought it was the dumbest idea ever then and now that they are popping up all over the US, they are even dumber now.

Again, glad you are OK.

Ride Safe,
    ZShyster

• Online chico   us

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    1435

Online chico

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: 2017 XRX
    Reply #16 on: May 19, 2022, 06.03 am
    May 19, 2022, 06.03 am
    I completely agree Shyster. Roundabouts are very dangerous. Drivers play "chicken" when negotiating them.

Chico

• Online markymark11   gb

• Tiger Pro  ‐    193

Online markymark11

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: 2015 - 800 XRX
    Reply #17 on: May 19, 2022, 08.16 am
    May 19, 2022, 08.16 am
    Back in 1998 - the first time I went to the USA - Las Vegas and rented a car, I was intending to visit friends in California. Drove out of rental area and down the street got to a Red traffic light as I was turning right. Obviously I stopped as it was RED. Red light then starts flashing so I stayed still as I naturally assumed it meant pedestrians crossing or something.

A few seconds later a police car pulls up behind me and flashes its lights and an officer who scared the crap out of me carrying Guns and Tazers and handcuffs and what looked like a massive shot gun and probably a small bazooka and some nuclear missiles asks me what the hell I was doing. I politely explained while crapping myself and he let me go after explaining the rules.

Who the hell on this planet knows that driving through a Red light is absolutely fine !!!  :745: :156: :087:   Give me a nice simple roundabout any day.  :047: :745:

• Online awjdthumper   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    822

Online awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XCA
    Reply #18 on: May 19, 2022, 08.33 am
    May 19, 2022, 08.33 am
    As a Brit, I regard roundabouts as being reasonably safe especially compared with US 4-way stop junctions which always scare the hell out of me even when in a car - they definitely wouldn't work in the UK :084:
    Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT500 + collection of classic British bikes

• Online chico   us

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    1435

Online chico

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: 2017 XRX
    Reply #19 on: May 19, 2022, 12.49 pm
    May 19, 2022, 12.49 pm
    Roundabouts have no controls, it's up to the driver's good will whether to merge nicely or cut you off. In a four way stop the rules are simple. Whoever gets there first goes through or turns. If two vehicles stop simultaneously, the one on the right has the right of way. :005:

Chico

winded-staunch