Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Insurance renewal  (Read 1561 times)

• Offline Ben_snapper

• Tiger Member  ‐    20

Offline Ben_snapper

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: 900 Rally Pro
    Re: Insurance renewal
    Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 01.02 pm
    May 27, 2022, 01.02 pm

*the  :164:

• Offline JonesTheBass   gb

• Tiger Pro  ‐    136

Offline JonesTheBass

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800xrt
    Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 04.30 pm
    May 27, 2022, 04.30 pm
    I used to work for Aviva and I recall prices were often lower at the end of the month. They have a target for Gross Written Premium, ie revenue each month.. if they are behind target they will offer lower premiums to get higher up the results table, ie buying the business at a lower margin is better than not making the sale.... market share is important.

• Offline Ali   gb

• Tiger Member  ‐    14

Offline Ali

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: Africa Twin
    Reply #12 on: May 27, 2022, 06.28 pm
    May 27, 2022, 06.28 pm
    Another possible truth/myth ...
    The amount of time prior to your renewal date may affect premium quotations.
    The thinking being that if your getting a quote the day before your insurance runs out you are more likely to be a bit desperate and accept their first offer.
    I was told that this is sometimes built in to the premium calculation algorithms.

• Offline coach   us

• Tiger Pro  ‐    224

Offline coach

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: 2021 Tiger 900GT
    Reply #13 on: May 29, 2022, 12.22 pm
    May 29, 2022, 12.22 pm
    *Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
    Every time this subject comes up I feel very sorry for you UK based owners. It seems that insurance there is simply a horrendous exercise from start to finish. Over here it is dead set simple and relatively inexpensive.

Same here in the States.  As long as your driving record is clear, motorcycle insurance is quite reasonable and somewhat similar in price between companies.  Since we have snow & ice on the roads 5 Ĺ months of the year here in northern New England, the bike is in storage so the insurance companies let me drop coverage to just fire, theft or stuff like that which doesn't involve riding the bike.  When I do that the insurance company sends me a partial refund of the full premium cost by mail.  A simple phone call in late April at my renewal time puts full coverage back on.
    Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 12.28 pm by coach
    coach - 2021 Tiger 900 GT

2016 Tiger 800 XCx - 2012 R1200GS - 2007 1050 Tiger & 2010 1050 Tiger-SE  (All sold)
    Plus over a dozen other bikes that I loose track of but my wife constantly reminds me of.  :006:  North Conway, New Hampshire

• Offline Paulhere   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    2292

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XRx
    Reply #14 on: May 29, 2022, 03.51 pm
    May 29, 2022, 03.51 pm
    *Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
    Every time this subject comes up I feel very sorry for you UK based owners. It seems that insurance there is simply a horrendous exercise from start to finish. Over here it is dead set simple and relatively inexpensive.

*Originally Posted by coach [+]
    Same here in the States.  As long as your driving record is clear, motorcycle insurance is quite reasonable and somewhat similar in price between companies.  Since we have snow & ice on the roads 5 Ĺ months of the year here in northern New England, the bike is in storage so the insurance companies let me drop coverage to just fire, theft or stuff like that which doesn't involve riding the bike.  When I do that the insurance company sends me a partial refund of the full premium cost by mail.  A simple phone call in late April at my renewal time puts full coverage back on.

The price in UK varies by location, high theft area can be double. Then age & profession, all the extras that some brokers include as standard or charge as extras, eg European cover, breakdown, clothing & helmet. Basic for an old fart living in suburbs could be £80 or with all bells & whistles £120. A 20 year old courier in London might pay 10 times that....or more.

What is an average cost to insure a T800 in your country, is it that different to the UK?
    Spares & labour cost for repairs might be similar or less in UK.

Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

• Online K1W1   au

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5267

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
    • Up in the hills
    • Bike/Model: XRX
    Reply #15 on: May 31, 2022, 06.00 am
    May 31, 2022, 06.00 am
    My insurance here works out around £98.00. That includes £18 of Govt charges and taxes.
    30+ rider
    5 years no claims
    £9 discount for belonging to a motorcycle club
    Bike kept on private property (does not have to be garaged or locked in any special way)
    £285 excess
    AUD$4000 (£2280) cover for riding clothing and personal belongings that may be on the bike (not accessories, things like a phone for example)
    AUD$30 million for public liability in case I run into a petrol pump at a servo and blow the place up or something
    15,000 km per year travel (costs £3 extra per extra 5000 km I nominate)

• Offline Fishy23   gb

• Tiger Member  ‐    47

Offline Fishy23

• Tiger Member
    • My other gal
    • Bike/Model: 800xca
    Reply #16 on: May 31, 2022, 10.18 am
    May 31, 2022, 10.18 am
    Dunno if this seems cheap or not Carol N six wheel policy my little Toyota aygo my 2019 tiger 800 acx full breakdown both vehicles max no claims protected all for £415,could be the far North away from scroats ( well most I presume) or max no claims. But as I said dunno but seems ok
    Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 10.21 am by Fishy23
    SailorBoy

• Offline Fazer   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    314

Offline Fazer

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: 2019 XRt
    Reply #17 on: May 31, 2022, 11.11 am
    May 31, 2022, 11.11 am
    *Originally Posted by Fishy23 [+]
    Dunno if this seems cheap or not Carol N six wheel policy my little Toyota aygo my 2019 tiger 800 acx full breakdown both vehicles max no claims protected all for £415,could be the far North away from scroats ( well most I presume) or max no claims. But as I said dunno but seems ok

I live in the same part of the UK as you and arrange my car and bike policies with different companies.

Car £213
    Bike £128

Total £341

• Offline Rustydog   gb

• Tiger Cub  ‐    9
    • Topic Author

Offline Rustydog

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: 2018 800 XRT
    Reply #18 on: May 31, 2022, 01.12 pm
    May 31, 2022, 01.12 pm
    That seems like a good deal Fazer-what companies are you with?

• Offline Fazer   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    314

Offline Fazer

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: 2019 XRt
    Reply #19 on: May 31, 2022, 02.04 pm
    May 31, 2022, 02.04 pm
    *Originally Posted by Rustydog [+]
    That seems like a good deal Fazer-what companies are you with?

Car insurance is with Quote Me Happy which is actually an online-only part of Aviva. I recently needed to change the garaging arrangement for my car and was able to do it myself with no admin charge. Iíve always stated my car would be garaged overnight to save money but got a pleasant shock to be charged only 28p to keep it on the drive! 😂😂 Very low compulsory excess as well, only £80.

Bike Insurance is with RSA via IAM Surety but you need to be an IAM member to qualify.
    Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 02.09 pm by Fazer