Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Insurance renewal  (Read 1357 times)

• Offline Rustydog   gb

• Tiger Cub  ‐    9
    • Topic Author

Offline Rustydog

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: 2018 800 XRT
    Insurance renewal
    on: May 16, 2022, 05.24 pm
    May 16, 2022, 05.24 pm
    It's renewal time again!. Anyone got any particular insurers to recommend with 'world beating' premiums this year. Carole Nash seem to have gone a bit pricey compared to a couple of years back. Thanks all for any pointers.

• Online PapaTom   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    1184

Online PapaTom

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: Blue XRx (Gen2)
    Re: Insurance renewal
    Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 05.35 pm
    May 16, 2022, 05.35 pm
    I believe she sold the company a few years ago. Been with them for around 14 years.
    Changed to Mackenzie Hodgson.
    Seem good so far.
    Good luck negotiating this annual minefield.

:031:

• Offline crispey   gb

• Tiger Member  ‐    91

Offline crispey

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: tiger 800 thrux
    Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 08.50 am
    May 17, 2022, 08.50 am
    I went with Bennetts after my other company tried to charge me an extra 50%
    On a comparison website the deluxe version, or whatever they called it, includes european cover helmet and leathers etc etc was actually cheaper than the standard cover on the same site  :027:

• Online Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4764

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 11.48 am
    May 17, 2022, 11.48 am
    I was with Carole Nash for over 20yrs up until about 2014 when the premium renewal went so high and I finally accepted I was paying for non-optional benefits I didn't need, that I went through the insurance circus and moved to Bennetts for exactly half the CN renewal price. Ironically it was with the same insurer, Equity Red Star, which showed how much I was paying for those unnecessary extras CN claimed were standard.

Then after a couple of renewals Bennetts started to up the renewal price and I moved to Aviva Direct about 2018, who I have recently been informed will not be offering me renewal as they are ceasing dealing direct for motorcycle policies, only underwriting policies to insurance brokers. So I'm also back on the insurance circus trail mid August. :006:

P.S: You could also look at the specific 'insurance' section for suggestions. :164: :001:
    Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Online markymark11   gb

• Tiger Pro  ‐    193

Online markymark11

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: 2015 - 800 XRX
    Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 06.57 pm
    May 17, 2022, 06.57 pm
    I have stuck with Bemoto for a number of years. Mainly because other members of the BMW S1000XR forum recommended them and they were one of the few to insure that bike for a reasonable price as it is a high group. I have their Titanium package which covers everything including Europe breakdown and gear etc, they also don't charge if you change bike which appealed to me as I change quite often. I wouldn't say they are the cheapest but like Bennetts when you ring them they seem to know all about motorcycles which makes you feel better.

The only thing I would say is IMO stay away from Hastings, My wife and I have both had issues with them and I think they are the cheapest for a reason.

For example - a few years ago (last insurer before Bemoto in fact) I was with them on a Versys 1000, when the renewal came through it was horrendous. I phoned to see if there was anything they could do to match all the cheaper ones on comparison sites. I said that all the details were to remain the same exactly as the previous policy, protected NCD 15+years , garaged, take a pillion, same bike, similar value and miles etc etc normal stuff. The girl came back with a price that matched the others so I was happy and went ahead.

When the documents came through however, she had removed the protected NCD and carrying pillion. When I phoned back they disputed it and said it would be a lot dearer with those two put back on. There ensued a heated discussion which ended with the supervisor agreeing to listen to the original call. After chasing them several times I finally got through to a manager who put me on hold for ages and did listen to the call. He apologised and amended the policy saying that there would be no extra charge. 1 week later I get a letter saying that they had taken 25 from my card for a "policy alteration". Back on the phone again, more heated discussions (manager hadn't made a note on the file), eventually again - as the policy hadn't even started and I threatened to cancel - they agreed to remove that charge as well. 2 weeks later I had to chase that as well as no refund had appeared on my card. Eventually it got sorted but God forbid you should ever need to make a claim from them.

The whole debarcle took hours of phone time on hold and transfers to different departments.  Just my experience of course YMMY but I will never use them again for a bike.
    Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 07.00 pm by markymark11

• Offline K1W1   au

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5191

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
    • Up in the hills
    • Bike/Model: XRX
    Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 10.13 pm
    May 17, 2022, 10.13 pm
    Every time this subject comes up I feel very sorry for you UK based owners. It seems that insurance there is simply a horrendous exercise from start to finish. Over here it is dead set simple and relatively inexpensive.

• Online gordybrock   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    366

Online gordybrock

• Tiger Master
    • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800 Phantom Black
    Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 10.27 pm
    May 17, 2022, 10.27 pm
    I'm currently with Swinton Zenith with my 2012 800 73, nil voluntary excess, 250 compulsory, I'm happy with that  :002:
    I'm from Wigan me

• Offline Rustydog   gb

• Tiger Cub  ‐    9
    • Topic Author

Offline Rustydog

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: 2018 800 XRT
    Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 10.41 am
    May 22, 2022, 10.41 am
    Thanks everyone for the pointers here. I found Bennetts to be the best deal for me with their package deal as per Crispey's mention.

But yes,  obtaining insurance shouldn't be so difficult and give you an awkward feeling. You always have the fear that you might get tripped up by something or other in the event of a claim.

Or, maybe that's just my experience-many, many years ago while living in a rough area of North London I had all four wheels stolen from my car overnight. No idea why-carp wheels and carp tyres!. Anyway, no problem I thought, insurance claim job. The cheap insurance company back then was Pegasus Insurance. I phoned in the claim only to be told "I wasn't covered for theft of the wheels as they were classified as spare parts and accessories" !!! :087:Never trusted insurance companies since......     

• Offline Ben_snapper

• Tiger Member  ‐    19

Offline Ben_snapper

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: 900 Rally Pro
    Reply #8 on: May 27, 2022, 10.16 am
    May 27, 2022, 10.16 am

Was recommended to get insurance quotes at the beginning of the month as the price can also be effected by the liability of the insurance company, the more people taken on in a months increases the companys liability so they up the rates to off set the risk by having more people... beginning of the month all starts again...

• Offline K1W1   au

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5191

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
    • Up in the hills
    • Bike/Model: XRX
    Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 12.58 pm
    May 27, 2022, 12.58 pm
    *Originally Posted by Ben_snapper [+]
    Was recommended to get insurance quotes at the beginning of the month as the price can also be effected by the liability of the insurance company, the more people taken on in a months increases the companys liability so they up the rates to off set the risk by having more people... beginning of the month all starts again...

Really?
    What happens if the previous month they had had an unusually large amount of claims? Surely in the world you suggest that would increase premiums at tge beginning of the next month to compensate,
    I suspect that what you have proposed is what is known as Internet Fact. Internet Facts generally bear no relation to reality.