Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Low side crash yesterday  (Read 1470 times)

• Offline JoeR   us

• Tiger Cub  ‐    4
    • Topic Author

Offline JoeR

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 900GT Pro
    Low side crash yesterday
    on: May 26, 2022, 03.49 pm
    May 26, 2022, 03.49 pm
    I have been riding on and off for about 40 years and yesterday I experienced my first crash. I am ok and my 2022 900 GT Pro will be repaired. However, it was an odd crash that I am trying to understand what contributed to it in order to prevent it from happening again. He is the situation. I was riding in the rain, in rain mode. Not out of the ordinary as I live in the Seattle area. I was on an exit ramp going from a highway onto a freeway. For those familiar with Seattle, I was on the 520 west and on the ramp entering I5 south. I have taken this exit hundred of times on my motorcycle as it is my normal commute, but it was one of a handful of times I have taken it on my Tiger. Everything was fine, I was traveling ~35-40 in the turn, when the bike just slid out from underneath me. This was confirmed by the driver behind me who saw the whole thing. I don't know if there was something on the pavement but it felt like I was on ice. I had no time to react and just went down. I slid to a stop. My Aerostich did its job and I walked away with a minor rash on my left elbow. My crash bars saved the engine case, but the tank got dented and scratched. There are a bunch of things that will need to be replaced, but it 100% repairable. People at the crash site, had some theories such as it is a highly travelled bus route and maybe some diesel on the road and such related to road conditions, but I really don't know.

I have replayed the crash in my head over and over again and I really do not understand what occurred. One thing I am considering is it might be luggage related. I have a Givi top box that I carry my tire repair kit, tire inflator, first aid kit and my backpack with my laptop in it. Total weight is not more than 10lbs. In addition, I have a tool roll that is carried on the inside of the left pannier mount. My panniers were not mounted on the bike. It never dawned on my that this could somehow make the bike unstable as I had similar setups on my Ninja 650 and Honda CB1100ex and never had an issue, but I now I am considering it might have contributed to this accident. Has anyone else found the Tiger 900 to become unstable with loads in a top case and on the inside of the left side pannier mount. I have attached a picture of my bike on the back of the tow truck. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

• Offline TheRealGoldfish

• Tiger Member  ‐    26

Offline TheRealGoldfish

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: 850 Sport
    Re: Low side crash yesterday
    Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 04.01 pm
    May 26, 2022, 04.01 pm
    Glad to hear you're OK and everything is repairable. Using the principle that its mostly likely the simplest explanation I would think it's the diesel on a wet road scenario. If you had some instability from luggage then it would be obvious in other situations (wobble, rattle, vibrations etc etc) rather than with a sudden wash out - and I've never had anything like this on my 850S with luggage on.

• Offline prenticemarie   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    591

Offline prenticemarie

• Tiger Master
    • Moto2 GP - Hinckley Triples Rule !
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 Road
    Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 04.23 pm
    May 26, 2022, 04.23 pm
    *Originally Posted by TheRealGoldfish [+]
    ... I would think it's the diesel on a wet road scenario ...

Agree, most likely cause, when it happened that quickly  :028:
    Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 04.25 pm by prenticemarie
    My My, How Time Flies ... 63 Years ... From BSA DBD34 Gold Star To Tiger 800 Road ... 1959 - 2022 !

• Offline ZShyster   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    58

Offline ZShyster

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: 16 Tiger 18 T120
    Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 04.39 pm
    May 26, 2022, 04.39 pm
    I agree  :0461: with the oil and water theory.  Oil is bad enough on the road but when a coating of water is added, it is treacherous.  I ride with a small givi top box all of the time, and never experienced any change in bike handling.

Glad you are OK.  It is a smart man that dresses for the slide.

Ride safe,
    ZShyster

• Offline Georgeinabz   scotland

• Tiger Pro  ‐    114

Offline Georgeinabz

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: 800xr
    Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 05.09 pm
    May 26, 2022, 05.09 pm
    Diesel sliders not good ,put a hole in my knee when 17 years old due to a puddle left by a bus , glad your ok

• Offline Shergar   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    260

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XRT
    Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 05.27 pm
    May 26, 2022, 05.27 pm
    Sorry to hear about the crash, at least it's repairable and main thing is that you are OK

Almost certainly diesel, mainly a problem when it rains after being dry for a while. I've experienced it a few times and so far, touch wood, managed to stay upright despite a slide.

The only other thing as slippery I have encountered was a trail of cow shite half way round a bend, that one very nearly had me off.

• Online chico   us

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    1435

Online chico

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: 2017 XRX
    Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 06.41 am
    May 27, 2022, 06.41 am
    I have a question Joe, was it raining for a while or did it just start before you entered the on ramp. It goes without saying that I as well as all riders are glad that you're OK.

Chico

• Offline K1W1   au

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5191

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
    • Up in the hills
    • Bike/Model: XRX
    Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 07.34 am
    May 27, 2022, 07.34 am
    Road usage is so highly regulated I have never figured out why the US DOT or the European equivalent have not mandated spill proof lids on truck fuel tanks. It is a problem the world over. Trucks with full fuel tanks on the side go around bends and the fuel sloshes to the outside and if the outside is where the filler is often it escapes and ends up on the road. So many stupid regulations are brought in in the interests of "safety" and yet this is a real world wide problem that kills people that has never been addressed.
    I'm sure we have all come across it but I can remember one winding road where for nearly 20km every right hand corner had diesel spilt on it from one truck that we eventually caught up to as he was turning (right) off the road.

• Offline Q   za

• Tiger Master  ‐    260

Offline Q

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: 800 XCA
    Reply #8 on: May 27, 2022, 07.48 am
    May 27, 2022, 07.48 am
    glad you're ok - agree with the diesel/oil spill on the road explanation

have a similar toolkit inside the pannier mounts and a soft "top box" on the pillion - have never had any issues with stability at any speed/cornering - you would have noticed the onset of instability well before the slide if those were contributing factors

from the pic your tyres are in good nick so I would chalk it up to one of those unfortunate things - I'm currently sitting with a broken leg after my boot got caught in the tall grass alongside a single track and pulled my leg in underneath the pannier mount/those stupid rear peg hangers as I was coming to a stop

not even a great pub story and a really stupid accident - but as they say "sh1t happens"
    When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

• Offline Paulhere   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    2276

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XRx
    Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 08.44 am
    May 27, 2022, 08.44 am
    Rain water brings the oil/diesel/rubber to the surface, especially at entry/exit points where braking & accelerating occurs, it then sits there waiting for an unsuspecting biker to come along. Been there. Good to hear you're ok, shame about the new bike. Was it not rideable after the tumble?
    Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

winded-staunch