Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Low side crash yesterday  (Read 1472 times)

• Offline coach   us

• Tiger Pro  ‐    214

Offline coach

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: 2021 Tiger 900GT
    Re: Low side crash yesterday
    Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 07.42 pm
    May 27, 2022, 07.42 pm
    Q said “  I'm currently sitting with a broken leg after my boot got caught in the tall grass alongside a single track and pulled my leg in underneath the pannier mount/those stupid rear peg hangers as I was coming to a stop.”

Similar thing happened to me a year ago this weekend.  Rear peg hanger didn’t break my left leg but it did take a good sized chunk out of it through my riding pants.  Wound took 3 months to heal.   Do a search of my posts and you’ll see pictures of how I modified the Explorer pannier rack so the rear foot peg and hangers could be removed.  Some here liked the idea…some not so much, but I feel safer riding off pavement with this configuration.
    coach - 2021 Tiger 900 GT

2016 Tiger 800 XCx - 2012 R1200GS - 2007 1050 Tiger & 2010 1050 Tiger-SE  (All sold)
    Plus over a dozen other bikes that I loose track of but my wife constantly reminds me of.  :006:  North Conway, New Hampshire

• Offline JoeR   us

• Tiger Cub  ‐    4
    • Topic Author

Offline JoeR

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 900GT Pro
    Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 10.38 pm
    May 27, 2022, 10.38 pm
    Thanks for all the responses and well wishes. I can report that 2 days after the incident and there are not surprise injuries.

I am happy to hear that the top case and tool roll didn't contribute the accident and I was surprised to hear that diesel and rain washouts are fairly common. Now I waiting to see how my insurance company decides to classify the accident and whether or not they will blame me.

To answer the question about whether or not the bike was rideable? I honestly didn't try. The clutch handle was broken off to a stub, the left side peg was jammed up and it appeared that the rear wheel might have been knocked out of alignment. So I decided to just get it towed.

-Joe

• Offline Fishy23   gb

• Tiger Member  ‐    44

Offline Fishy23

• Tiger Member
    • My other gal
    • Bike/Model: 800xca
    Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 09.05 am
    May 28, 2022, 09.05 am
    Just thinking back over 59 years of riding perhaps with a lull of 15 years when I worked in Peterhead Scotland in all that time bumps, one bad smash, umpteen little ones ( caused by other people) but never high or lo sided through tyres loosing traction. What is it today? you would think diesel fuel tanks of today would be more secure than in my earlier days. My last bikes where bmw’ s four of them, now a  2019 tiger 800 acx or have I just been lucky or have the road surfaces changed in both the US and here ( but I doubt it) dunnnnoooo the answer.
    Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 09.08 am by Fishy23
    SailorBoy

• Offline JoeR   us

• Tiger Cub  ‐    4
    • Topic Author

Offline JoeR

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 900GT Pro
    Reply #13 on: May 28, 2022, 10.23 pm
    May 28, 2022, 10.23 pm
    *Originally Posted by Fishy23 [+]
    Just thinking back over 59 years of riding perhaps with a lull of 15 years when I worked in Peterhead Scotland in all that time bumps, one bad smash, umpteen little ones ( caused by other people) but never high or lo sided through tyres loosing traction. What is it today? you would think diesel fuel tanks of today would be more secure than in my earlier days. My last bikes where bmw’ s four of them, now a  2019 tiger 800 acx or have I just been lucky or have the road surfaces changed in both the US and here ( but I doubt it) dunnnnoooo the answer.

As I mentioned in my original post, this is a ramp I have taken hundreds of times in the last 5 years and I never experienced anything like this. I like you, have never lost traction of my tires before. Could it have been diesel? Sure. Could it have been something else that spilled out of a truck. Sure. I was just looking to rule out the top case and tool roll I carry. It seems that has been ruled out. I don't think you have been lucky. I think I was just damn unlucky. I really hope this is a once in a lifetime experience as I intend to continue commuting on this route when my Tiger 900 is repaired.

-Joe

• Offline K1W1   au

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5191

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
    • Up in the hills
    • Bike/Model: XRX
    Reply #14 on: May 29, 2022, 12.11 am
    May 29, 2022, 12.11 am
    Weight shifting in the top box definitely did not cause the low side. As an experienced rider you would have felt the weight shift if that had been the cause. You said yourself “don't know if there was something on the pavement but it felt like I was on ice”, you would have had an entirely different feeling if weight shift was the cause.

• Offline Paulhere   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    2276

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XRx
    Reply #15 on: May 29, 2022, 08.01 am
    May 29, 2022, 08.01 am
    Don't let it blow your confidence. I had a low side on diesel back in '72, on me bum before I knew it, there was 4 of us on the floor. First day on a new job & turned up like a bag of rags.

Recently, out in car, I followed a wagon spewing diesel on a bendy road, for 10 miles before I could tell him.
    Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

• Offline Fishy23   gb

• Tiger Member  ‐    44

Offline Fishy23

• Tiger Member
    • My other gal
    • Bike/Model: 800xca
    Reply #16 on: May 29, 2022, 10.42 am
    May 29, 2022, 10.42 am
    Joe on the positive side bike will be repaired you’r ok and if your confidence got knock well (mine had quite a few times) it will all come back cos that’s what biking does for you. Like my old dad used to say put the knocks behind you at the time it didn’t seem like it would but take it from me     It does!
    SailorBoy

• Offline chuckxc   au

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    1190

Offline chuckxc

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: 12XC, 18XCX
    Reply #17 on: Jun 01, 2022, 03.40 am
    Jun 01, 2022, 03.40 am
    Throttle off! Brakes off! Retract sphincter. :005:

(pic borrowed from  Andy Strapz newsletter)

Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
    My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

• Offline Q   za

• Tiger Master  ‐    260

Offline Q

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: 800 XCA
    Reply #18 on: Jun 01, 2022, 08.38 am
    Jun 01, 2022, 08.38 am
    *Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
    Throttle off! Brakes off! Retract sphincter. :005:

:745: :745:
    When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

• Offline Paulhere   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    2276

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XRx
    Reply #19 on: Jun 01, 2022, 09.43 am
    Jun 01, 2022, 09.43 am
    And............down ya go! If you can smell it, you could be too late.
    Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.