Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Forma Adventure Boots  (Read 703 times)

• Offline sezian   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    607
    • Topic Author

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
    • Topic Author
    • North Kent Coast
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 Roadie
    Forma Adventure Boots
    on: Jun 10, 2022, 08.05 pm
    Jun 10, 2022, 08.05 pm
    I'm thinking of buying a pair of the low boots but can't decide whether to buy the Adveture low or the Terra Evo low.

Is anyone using these boots?

Thoughts?

• Offline K1W1   au

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5264

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
    • Up in the hills
    • Bike/Model: XRX
    Re: Forma Adventure Boots
    Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2022, 11.54 pm
    Jun 10, 2022, 11.54 pm
    My Forma Adventures are about 12 years old and have performed well. They are great boots.
    The Adventures are really road and light off road boots, supremely comfortable and great to live in. Iíve spent days at a time living in mine.
    The Terra Evo are a more off-road oriented. Slightly less comfortable to walk long distances in but a little more protection.
    Neither boot is a full off road boot.

• Offline Phil_from_Derry   ie

• Tiger Pro  ‐    136

Offline Phil_from_Derry

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: 800 XRx
    Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2022, 12.47 am
    Jun 11, 2022, 12.47 am
    i'm wearing adventure lows for about a year now and like them a lot.  Very easy and quick to slip on and off, dry, comfortable to walk around in and IMO, much nicer than the terra evo with the chunkier sole. 
    I previously wore alpine stars and other similar brands and got a couple of years of wear out of them max,  these are a step up and will last much longer, prob many years more.

• Online Q   za

• Tiger Master  ‐    262

Online Q

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: 800 XCA
    Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2022, 06.59 am
    Jun 12, 2022, 06.59 am
    *Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
    My Forma Adventures are about 12 years old and have performed well. They are great boots.
    The Adventures are really road and light off road boots, supremely comfortable and great to live in. Iíve spent days at a time living in mine.
    The Terra Evo are a more off-road oriented. Slightly less comfortable to walk long distances in but a little more protection.
    Neither boot is a full off road boot.

agree - I use the full-length Terra Evo boots and they are a good compromise between protection and all-day comfort.

I had them on when I recently broke my leg riding some stupid off-road section and my leg got pulled in under the swing-arm - both tib and fib snapped at the knee and ankle gone as well. At first glance, one would say - WTF, the boots failed to protect the leg, but as K1W1 said these are not full off-road boots - in fact, I doubt that even a full motocross boot like a Tech 7/10 would have avoided the break as the full weight of the bike came down on my leg.

The ortho surgeon commented after the op that the boot resulted in clean breaks with no crushing or open wounds. 6 weeks later I'm walking with a moon boot & crutches with full intent to be ready to ride by the end of June (i.e. 2 months after the incident).  BTW I kept the boot on while I was waiting for the medivac, duct-taped the other leg to the broken one to immobilise it and the trauma guys actually righted the leg with the boot still on. They even got the boot off without any cutting/damage but I was passed out/sedated at that stage because the next thing I remember was waking up with the leg bandaged and naked 'cept for one of those stupid hospital thingies on.

Apologies then for the long story and I would really recommend the tall Evo version of the boot based on the additional protection over the Adventure - didn't stop me from being stupid but definitely mitigated the consequences.
    When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

• Offline sezian   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    607
    • Topic Author

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
    • Topic Author
    • North Kent Coast
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 Roadie
    Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2022, 07.52 am
    Jun 12, 2022, 07.52 am
    Thanks for the input guys. I've pulled the plug and ordered the Terra Evo boots.

From all the spiel & reviews I've read the Terra would seem to offer more protection, the only downside that some people mention is they are slightly less comfortable to walk in. I'm not planning to be walking far but when on tour a day out can sometimes require a bit of walking, for instance climbing to the top of Mount St Michelle, on the other hand some people have said they are comfortable to walk in. I guess if you read enough reviews you'll end up with lots of different opinions.

I'll post my thoughts after I've got them and had a chance to evaluate. 

• Offline K1W1   au

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5264

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
    • Up in the hills
    • Bike/Model: XRX
    Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2022, 08.50 am
    Jun 12, 2022, 08.50 am
    *Originally Posted by sezian [+]
    the only downside that some people mention is they are slightly less comfortable to walk in. I'm not planning to be walking far but when on tour a day out can sometimes require a bit of walking, for instance climbing to the top of Mount St Michelle, on the other hand some people have said they are comfortable to walk in.

Comfort is relative. My Adventures are just like a very comfortable pair of walking boots. Evos are a little less flexible.
    The only problem with doing things like walking to the top of a hill is that your feet will sweat like crazy in warm weather. Breathable membranes unfortunately canít handle all conditions. If you are planning on doing a lot of walking taking along a light weight pair of shoes or sandals is sometimes a good option.