Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Datatool Tracker  (Read 369 times)

• Offline Squirrelly   gb

• Tiger Pro  ‐    119
    • Topic Author

Offline Squirrelly

• Tiger Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XCX
    Datatool Tracker
    on: Jun 21, 2022, 08.04 pm
    Jun 21, 2022, 08.04 pm
    Has anyone got a Datatool Tracker fitted to their bike?

As fas as I'm aware there's a tracker hidden in the bike and you have a fob which you're supposed to keep away from the bike's keys and never leave on the bike.
    If the bike/tracker and the fob get too far apart the tracker thinks the bike has been stolen and triggers an alarm to the monitoring centre.  That's my understanding of it anyway.

But... what happens if you go out for the day,  park the bike up and go for a walk ? (fob in your pocket as recommended)
      If you go far enough on your walk does the distance between the the fob and the bike trigger the stolen bike alarm?   

Confused...?

• Offline Fazer   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    314

Offline Fazer

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: 2019 XRt
    Re: Datatool Tracker
    Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2022, 08.48 pm
    Jun 21, 2022, 08.48 pm
    I don’t have a tracker on my bike but my understanding is that active trackers (of the type you describe) function by using a ‘geofence’. Basically, when the tracker is activated it stores the current position using the GPS signal then monitors the protected article to ensure it does not move outside of a set perimeter around that position. If it detects movement outside the geofence, then it alerts a central monitoring station who would then contact the user to check that it is definitely an unintended movement. Obviously, involvement of the police would ensue if the movement is unintended.

• Offline Squirrelly   gb

• Tiger Pro  ‐    119
    • Topic Author

Offline Squirrelly

• Tiger Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XCX
    Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2022, 09.10 pm
    Jun 21, 2022, 09.10 pm
    So if the bike moves from under your hotel room window while you and the fob are in bed it triggers.

If the fob moves away from the bike when you go for a walk it doesn't trigger?
    Have I understood correctly?

• Offline Fazer   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    314

Offline Fazer

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: 2019 XRt
    Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2022, 09.23 pm
    Jun 21, 2022, 09.23 pm
    My understanding is that the fob is unconnected to whether it triggers (other than for arming it of course). I have an active tracker on a caravan and that uses the geofence principle. My caravan is stored 6 miles away from my home, where I keep the fob after arming the tracker.

To repeat, the tracker stores its GPS position at the instant it is armed. If the tracker then moves outside the geofence it alerts the central monitoring station. The position of the fob is immaterial.

• Offline rainbow-walker   00

• Tiger Member  ‐    78

Offline rainbow-walker

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: Tiger Rally Pro
    Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2022, 10.18 pm
    Jun 21, 2022, 10.18 pm
    I have the tracker (triumph branded) on my 900 with the fob.

It's great, no issues at all, and the point of the fob is that if the bike moves without it close by (so if someone pushes your bike whilst the fob isnt close by you will get a text alert).

Great system, havent had any issues with it at all other than the odd false alarm (like removing the battery before putting it in 'garage mode').

Feel free to ask any further questions.  The fob stays on my keyring with my keys including bike key, no issue with that, you just shouldnt leave the fob on the bike if you are away from it. (so keep it on your keyring)

RBW.
    Last Edit: Jun 21, 2022, 10.20 pm by rainbow-walker

winded-staunch