Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Desert sand adventures maintenance log  (Read 2614 times)

• Online dsadv   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    35
    • Topic Author

Online dsadv

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: 16 800 XR
    Re: Desert sand adventures maintenance log
    Reply #30 on: Jul 07, 2022, 04.12 pm
    Jul 07, 2022, 04.12 pm
    *Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
    Your money but you are wasting it. There is absolutely no technical reason to change oil that frequently all you are doing is creating additional waste oil in the world for no mechanical benefit.

Wrong, come October the tenps here will be dropping and according to triumphs factory service manual I should be switching back to 10w-40 oil regardless of the miles I have driven.

Also, buying this motorcycle used I have no idea of the service history. The oil I just drained could have been the original oil for all I know. A couple of early oil changes to make sure all the residual old nasty oil is gone is well worth the cost for my peace of mind.

As for wasting oil, my other vehicle is a gas guzzleing 97 toyota land cruiser that burns about a quart of oil every 1,000 mile. Even if I do perform a couple of early oil changes I am still saving loads of petroleum by riding and using the motorcycle instead of theToyota. This is half the reason I own a motorcycle.

• Offline LukeFrostie

• Tiger Cub  ‐    9

Offline LukeFrostie

• Tiger Cub
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XCX
    Reply #31 on: Jul 07, 2022, 05.28 pm
    Jul 07, 2022, 05.28 pm
    If the oil's coming out golden you could "recycle" it in your Toyota.

• Online dsadv   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    35
    • Topic Author

Online dsadv

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #32 on: Jul 07, 2022, 05.36 pm
    Jul 07, 2022, 05.36 pm
    *Originally Posted by LukeFrostie [+]
    If the oil's coming out golden you could "recycle" it in your Toyota.

Haha, that's an interesting thought....Would the friction modifiers in the motorcycle oil have a detrimental effect on the Toyota engine?

• Online dsadv   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    35
    • Topic Author

Online dsadv

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #33 on: Jul 11, 2022, 03.41 pm
    Jul 11, 2022, 03.41 pm
    Brake fluid flush this morning.

This has got to be the original brake fluid from 2016. The screws on the front reservoir had never been penetrated. Glad I got this done.

I have worked on a lot of vehicles that call for activating the ABS module while bleeding the brakes so I assumed it would be the same on the Tiger. But..... the Triumph factory service manual does not say anything about activating the ABS while renewing/bleeding the brakes so I am not going to worry about it. I treat the factory service manual like the word of law.

Brake pads next.

• Offline T800XC   ua

• Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    2725

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 1200 XRT
    Reply #34 on: Jul 11, 2022, 03.53 pm
    Jul 11, 2022, 03.53 pm
    *Originally Posted by dsadv [+]

I have worked on a lot of vehicles that call for activating the ABS module while bleeding the brakes so I assumed it would be the same on the Tiger. But..... the Triumph factory service manual does not say anything about activating the ABS while renewing/bleeding the brakes so I am not going to worry about it. I treat the factory service manual like the word of law.

Did you check the contents page for the Brakes section of the service manual, then read a little further on?

I have several different copies of the service manual and they all have procedures for bleeding the brakes on bikes with ABS. These procedures come after the main bleed process, somewhere around page 14.33 or 14.35 depending on which version I look at.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

• Online dsadv   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    35
    • Topic Author

Online dsadv

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #35 on: Jul 11, 2022, 06.07 pm
    Jul 11, 2022, 06.07 pm
    *Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
    Did you check the contents page for the Brakes section of the service manual, then read a little further on?

I have several different copies of the service manual and they all have procedures for bleeding the brakes on bikes with ABS. These procedures come after the main bleed process, somewhere around page 14.33 or 14.35 depending on which version I look at.

Dang your right, on my manual it's on pages 14-36 for the front and 14-41 for the rear. Kind of stupid to hide it in the back.....

I'm going to be lazy and let it go for now unless the brakes seem soft. However I am going to go out today and activate the ABS on some gravel to move the fluid around.

I will change the fluid every February anywase so next February I will make sure to activate the ABS pump.

• Online dsadv   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    35
    • Topic Author

Online dsadv

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #36 on: Jul 11, 2022, 06.11 pm
    Jul 11, 2022, 06.11 pm
    Brake pads done. They were about 50% worn. The calipers looked to be in great shape and they were surprisingly clean. Except for the one that was under the leaky fork seal. It was all kinds of greasy, this is why I changed the pads. I had a feeling the fronts were contaminated with fork oil.

Make sure to use brake grease when you clean the slider pins and re grease them.

Also, get everything properly torqued.

• Online dsadv   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    35
    • Topic Author

Online dsadv

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #37 on: Jul 11, 2022, 06.19 pm
    Jul 11, 2022, 06.19 pm
    I really wanted to completely finish the baseline maintenance on this bike so I can move on to longer rides and upgrades.

The last thing on my list was a good chain inspection. I gave the chain a quick once over cleaning and lube when I first got the bike.

Today I got the rear tire in the air, gave the chain another good cleaning and lube, and than measured the tension and length.

The chain looks healthy, no cracked or missing o-rings and no seized or tight links.

The slack measured 35mm so I tightened it up to 20mm.

Also, I threw some anti-seize on the adjuster bolt threads because I read somewhere that they can seize in the swing arms.

The chain measured just a hair over 12.5 inches so according to the manual it's pretty much time to be replaced. I am surprised because the motorcycle doesn't even have 6,000 miles on the odometer. I will probably order new sprockets and a chain and just swap them in February when I change the brake fluid again. Until than I will keep a close eye on the chain.

Question? What is this threaded hole for?

Thanks

• Online markymark11   gb

• Tiger Pro  ‐    207

Online markymark11

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: 2015 - 800 XRX
    Reply #38 on: Jul 11, 2022, 07.34 pm
    Jul 11, 2022, 07.34 pm
    It is there so you can fit paddock stand bobbins if you wish to use a paddock stand.

• Online dsadv   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    35
    • Topic Author

Online dsadv

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #39 on: Jul 11, 2022, 10.23 pm
    Jul 11, 2022, 10.23 pm
    I took the bike out to run some errands and set the brakes today. Braking is definitely improved with the new EBC pads!!!

Today was the hottest weather I have rode the Tiger in so far. 43C!!!!! It is scorching. With the new radiator cap and new coolant mixed at 60/40 the fans never came on and the bike never went above 5 bars. I am super happy with the cooling performance now.