Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Altitude/Heat Fuelling Problem?  (Read 243 times)

• Offline Pusser   gb

• Tiger Member  ‐    22
    • Topic Author

Offline Pusser

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 (2013)
    Altitude/Heat Fuelling Problem?
    on: Jul 23, 2022, 10.26 am
    Jul 23, 2022, 10.26 am
    Recently spent several days riding in the Swiss Alps.  One one hot day after climbing to a reasonably high altitude my bike, a 2013 Tiger 800, refused to start.  It did start eventually after numerous attempts, and this happened on three occasions in quick succession after photo stops.  Symptoms - on pressing the start button it appeared to fire once and then die.  I received various suggestions from chums - vapour lock, poor fuel etc.  Incidentally, the fuel pump was working as evidenced from sound from inside the tank.  As mentioned, I spent several days in similar conditions but the problem did not recur.  Any suggestions?

• Offline UncleGary   us

• Tiger Master  ‐    498

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 Roadie
    Re: Altitude/Heat Fuelling Problem?
    Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2022, 04.59 pm
    Jul 23, 2022, 04.59 pm
    I have a 2012 Roadie and encountered this the first trip to the Rocky Mountains. Started a trip at an elevation of about 2400 meters and road non-stop to an elevation of about 3600 meters. The bike made the climb just fine with camping gear. After a short round of photography I went to start it up. The engine cranked fine, plenty of fuel, cool weather and no combustion. After a few cranks with no success, I let it alone, made some lunch, more photos. The bike started fine. The temperature gauge showed one bar. So an almost cold engine.

What I learned was that the rapid ascent to very high altitude skewed the data for start fueling conditions. The computer does update the fueling mix over time. The next 3 days were to similar altitudes but my campsites were closer to 2700 meters. The bike performed perfectly. Started immediately every time.

• Offline Pusser   gb

• Tiger Member  ‐    22
    • Topic Author

Offline Pusser

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 (2013)
    Re: Altitude/Heat Fuelling Problem?
    Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2022, 09.25 pm
    Jul 23, 2022, 09.25 pm
    Thanks for that UncleGary.  Sounds very similar to my experience except that I didnít allow the bike to cool down.  I guess that the time required to adjust the fuelling occurred over the period of my several stops.  No repetition of the problem occurred during five further days of similar conditions.
    Cheers.

winded-staunch