Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] ABS issues  (Read 1828 times)

• Offline GCB903XRX   mt

• Tiger Member  ‐    20
    • Topic Author

Offline GCB903XRX

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XRX
    Re: ABS issues
    Reply #40 on: Aug 01, 2022, 02.45 pm
    Aug 01, 2022, 02.45 pm
    *Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]

If I understand you correctly, you bled the ABS pump yesterday just to see if it was the cause of the present problems? I assume it made no difference?

If the ABS has activated then this might imply that the problem is missing pulses from the front sensor, perhaps fooling the ABS ECU into thinking the front wheel has stopped rotating or is starting to slide - in principle, if the ECU detects this, it will pulse the brake pressure via the ABS pump.

However, if the ABS has not operated then the problem may be more fundamental and have nothing to do with the wheel sensors. If this is the case then I think you are going to need access to some clever diagnostics to work out what the problem is which may require a Triumph dealer!

Correct.  ABS bleed made no difference.  After clearing the codes the bike runs with no faults.  At the least touch of the front brakes the ABS then operates and triggers all the errors .  I am very tempted to replace the ABS ring at this point.

• Offline awjdthumper   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    898

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XCA
    Reply #41 on: Aug 01, 2022, 03.13 pm
    Aug 01, 2022, 03.13 pm
    How do you know the ABS is operating when you pull the brake lever? Can you, for example, hear the ABS pump pulsing or vibrating?
    Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT500 + collection of classic British bikes

• Offline GCB903XRX   mt

• Tiger Member  ‐    20
    • Topic Author

Offline GCB903XRX

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #42 on: Aug 01, 2022, 03.24 pm
    Aug 01, 2022, 03.24 pm
    How do you know the ABS is operating when you pull the brake lever? Can you, for example, hear the ABS pump pulsing or vibrating?

The brake lever pulses.

• Tiger Master  ‐    898

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
    Reply #43 on: Aug 02, 2022, 06.53 am
    Aug 02, 2022, 06.53 am
    At face value, the problem seems to be with the pulse stream from the speed sensor which is either confusing the ABS ECU or making it believe there are missing pulses. You have changed the speed sensor which appears to have had no real effect ruling the sensor itself out as the cause of the problems. The pulse ring is made of steel and designed to perturb the magnetic field inside the sensor and, even if magnetised in some way, I doubt if this would affect the way the sensor works.

Ideally, the sensor output at the connector should be tested using a waveform scanner - although it seems unlikely there is a problem at this point, without the necessary test equipment, there is no way of verifying this.

Assuming the problem is not at the sensor output, this probably leaves only two possibilities. The first is a wiring fault between the sensor connector and the ABS ECU. Assuming the wiring harness itself has not been damaged then the only possibility would be a poor connection at the ABS ECU. Therefore, removing the ABS ECU connector and checking the pins for corrosion would be worthwhile.

The only other possibility to explain the problems is a fault inside the ABS ECU itself. Unfortunately, without the necessary test equipment and diagnostics software, it would be very difficult to verify this sort of fault which could only be done (I assume) in a Triumph workshop. The alternative might be to take the risk and replace the ECU.

• Offline GCB903XRX   mt

• Tiger Member  ‐    20
    • Topic Author

Offline GCB903XRX

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #44 on: Aug 03, 2022, 10.41 am
    Aug 03, 2022, 10.41 am
    At face value, the problem seems to be with the pulse stream from the speed sensor which is either confusing the ABS ECU or making it believe there are missing pulses. You have changed the speed sensor which appears to have had no real effect ruling the sensor itself out as the cause of the problems. The pulse ring is made of steel and designed to perturb the magnetic field inside the sensor and, even if magnetised in some way, I doubt if this would affect the way the sensor works.

Ideally, the sensor output at the connector should be tested using a waveform scanner - although it seems unlikely there is a problem at this point, without the necessary test equipment, there is no way of verifying this.

Assuming the problem is not at the sensor output, this probably leaves only two possibilities. The first is a wiring fault between the sensor connector and the ABS ECU. Assuming the wiring harness itself has not been damaged then the only possibility would be a poor connection at the ABS ECU. Therefore, removing the ABS ECU connector and checking the pins for corrosion would be worthwhile.

The only other possibility to explain the problems is a fault inside the ABS ECU itself. Unfortunately, without the necessary test equipment and diagnostics software, it would be very difficult to verify this sort of fault which could only be done (I assume) in a Triumph workshop. The alternative might be to take the risk and replace the ECU.

Thanks.  Now to locate the ABS ecu

• Offline T800XC   ua

• Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    2725

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 1200 XRT
    Reply #45 on: Aug 03, 2022, 11.13 am
    Aug 03, 2022, 11.13 am
    *Originally Posted by GCB903XRX [+]
    Thanks.  Now to locate the ABS ecu
    It's attached directly to the ABS modulator.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

• Tiger Master  ‐    898

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
    Reply #46 on: Aug 03, 2022, 07.34 pm
    Aug 03, 2022, 07.34 pm
    This is what the complete assembly looks like:

• Offline GCB903XRX   mt

• Tiger Member  ‐    20
    • Topic Author

Offline GCB903XRX

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #47 on: Aug 08, 2022, 10.14 am
    Aug 08, 2022, 10.14 am
    So yesterday I did another experiment.  I reset the error codes and went for a slow spin without using the brakes at all.  After about half a kilometer the error lights still came on and ABS and TC were disabled.  I've been busy but I should find some time this weekend to take her apart and put some contact cleaner on the connections.  After that I imagine I'm up for a replacement unit.

• Tiger Master  ‐    898

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
    Reply #48 on: Aug 08, 2022, 11.37 am
    Aug 08, 2022, 11.37 am
    You said previously that when you hit the front brake, the ABS would operate because you could feel the pulsing through the handlebar lever. Presumably, this was followed by the error light coming on?

It sounds as though the error light came on yesterday without you first operating the brakes? Is this correct?

Having the ABS operate when it shouldn't is definitely something that needs to be sorted. However, if the ABS simply gets disabled then that is a problem that is easier to live with :084:

• Offline GCB903XRX   mt

• Tiger Member  ‐    20
    • Topic Author

Offline GCB903XRX

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #49 on: Aug 08, 2022, 12.07 pm
    Aug 08, 2022, 12.07 pm
    You said previously that when you hit the front brake, the ABS would operate because you could feel the pulsing through the handlebar lever. Presumably, this was followed by the error light coming on?

It sounds as though the error light came on yesterday without you first operating the brakes? Is this correct?

Having the ABS operate when it shouldn't is definitely something that needs to be sorted. However, if the ABS simply gets disabled then that is a problem that is easier to live with :084:

Correct on the first two points.  The ABS and TC simply get disabled and considering that my previous bike had none and I'm no dare devil rider I could live with that for a while although I did upgrade for the added safety.  Price for a new ABS unit is close to 1500.  I also found a used unit for less than 100