Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Engine managment ligt is on.  (Read 9829 times)

• Offline Nodrog0 _12   england

• Tiger Cub  ‐    5
    • Topic Author

Offline Nodrog0 _12

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger 800XRx
    Engine managment ligt is on.
    on: Nov 23, 2023, 11.37 am
    Nov 23, 2023, 11.37 am
    Hi, have just completed an oil change, gone to start the bike and the engine management light has come on and bike wont turn over.  Any ideas please?
    Gordon

• Online Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5702

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    Re: Engine managment ligt is on.
    Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2023, 11.55 am
    Nov 23, 2023, 11.55 am
    Did you do anything else besides the oil filter and oil drain plug, like disconnecting the battery? :027:
    Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Tiger Cub  ‐    5
    • Topic Author

Offline Nodrog0 _12

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2023, 12.36 pm
    Nov 23, 2023, 12.36 pm
    No Steve, did go to start it and it didn't catch properly so had to switch off and back on.  It wouldn't start then, but after a few minutes it did start up.  Put it away overnight, come to start it and it wont turn over and the engine management light is on.  Just tried to jump start it in case it was battery but no joy.

• Tiger Cub  ‐    5
    • Topic Author

Offline Nodrog0 _12

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2023, 04.01 pm
    Nov 23, 2023, 04.01 pm
    Update: Oil change, engine management light etc, all red herrings.  The engine management light should be on until the engine starts, being unable to start, it wasn't going to go out, so had me fooled.  Long story short.  Managed to bump start it.  Wasn't going to switch it off until I got to a Triumph dealer in case it wouldn't start again.  That paid off, stopped the bike at Staffordshire Triumph, and sure enough, it wasn't going to start yet again.  Managed to get it looked at by some very helpful staff and in 30 minutes the was as good as new.... minus an alarm.  That was the offending part all along.  So alarm disconnected and bridged.  I was back on the road.  Can't thank Staffordshire Triumph enough for their prompt assistance in sorting me out.  Panic over.  Just need to source a new alarm or other alternatives re the bike security.

• Online Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5702

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2023, 08.08 pm
    Nov 23, 2023, 08.08 pm
    *Originally Posted by Nodrog0 _12 [+]
    ... So alarm disconnected and bridged.

Glad you got it sorted, I'm sure a few more probing member replies would eventually have brought the word alarm into question. Had my original and warranty replacement both leave me stranded with a dead bike. Fortunately the 3rd one, fitted within the bikes Triumph 2yr warranty, has been fine for over 6 years and when fitted the mechanic gave me a spare blanking plug that I've carried ever since in my tyre puncture kit. :028:

If a proper Triumph/Datatool S4 Red alarm you could check the manufacture date on the label (if still legible) to see if it was part of the recalled ones that suffered from water ingress (like mine) manufactured in 2015 and early 2016. However as that alarm is now discontinued I doubt you'd get any positive response from Datatool even if it was.

Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Tiger Cub  ‐    5
    • Topic Author

Offline Nodrog0 _12

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2023, 08.30 pm
    Nov 23, 2023, 08.30 pm
    Thanks again for the reply Steve.  It is, was, a Triumph/Datatool S4 Red alarm, and bang on the money with 2015/2016, mines a 2016 bike.  Your right no point in trying to get any help via chasing recall now.  I'm just glad I'm back on the road, I was proper stumped having checked ,and checked again for anything obvious. I can live without an alarm for now.  Stay safe.

Gordon

winded-staunch