Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Throttle body rebalancing - tolerance  (Read 2360 times)

• Offline DXM33   cs

• Tiger Member  ‐    37

Offline DXM33

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800
    Re: Throttle body rebalancing - tolerance
    Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2024, 01.38 pm
    Feb 09, 2024, 01.38 pm
    This is a good point D6864. I did adaptation process prior to balancing but didnt do it after. I'll try it and see if I see any improvements. Thanks

• Offline DXM33   cs

• Tiger Member  ‐    37

Offline DXM33

• Tiger Member
    Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2024, 07.26 pm
    Feb 09, 2024, 07.26 pm
    Ok so the idle issue is resolved.. Just as I expected fuel line was sitting on top of throttle cables and that was probably causing idle problems. They are accessible from the bottom side of the tank so I didnt have to take the fuel tank off. I moved the cables away and now idles fine.

I did the adaptation and although values seem better throttle bodies are still out of sync showing:

C1 = 59
    C2 = 62
    C3 = 60

I will do them again but need to get new OBD cable. For some reason while TigerTool is checking throttle body balance, after 10sec it looses connection with ECU. This only happens on T-Bal tab. I thought its happening because you need engine running and for some reason ECU doesnt like it but today I tested it on other tabs and its all fine until I run throttle body balance check.
    Last Edit: Feb 09, 2024, 07.29 pm by DXM33

• Offline DXM33   cs

• Tiger Member  ‐    37

Offline DXM33

• Tiger Member
    Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2024, 04.15 pm
    Feb 21, 2024, 04.15 pm
    I was installing fog lights today and since I took my fuel tank off I decided to do throttle body balancing again. Still strange behavior from my Tiger. I sync them but again checked multiple times and again when I put everything back together they are out of sync.

Before I put air filter and tank back:

After I put all back together:

I noticed that when i pull my throttle to higher RPM they sync.. its only in idle when they are out of sync. Also idle rpms go from 1350 (maybe even higher) to 1150 up and down.

I cleaned stepper motor and lubed it with dry lube as recommended.

Any ideas what is wrong or this is how its supposed to be?

Last Edit: Feb 21, 2024, 04.17 pm by DXM33

• Offline awjdthumper   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    1368

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XCA
    Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2024, 05.30 pm
    Feb 21, 2024, 05.30 pm
    I assume that when you say 'after I put it back together', you mean after re-installing the air box? Is so, what would happen if you took the air box off again - would they then go back to being in synch? My initial thought is that you might have an air leak in the system, possibly for cylinder 2, on the air box side of the throttle body.
    Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT500 + collection of classic British bikes

• Offline DXM33   cs

• Tiger Member  ‐    37

Offline DXM33

• Tiger Member
    Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2024, 05.52 pm
    Feb 21, 2024, 05.52 pm
    Thanks for replying awjdthumper.

When I say after I put it back together I mean everything airbox, air filter all sensors back on airbox and tank back in place. Havent try to take the airbox out again but its not bad idea to check..

When you say air leak on cylinder 2 on airbox side... Not sure what you mean.. Airbox doesnt look like its air sealed perfectly so some air might be passing air filter but wouldn't this affect all 3 cylinders and not just cylinder 2? When I open my throttle all 3 cylinders are in sync. Its just idle where this de-sync happens.

Since this is Gen1 Tiger to me this looks more like stepper motor issue but I you might be right and its worth checking. 

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    1368

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Jedi
    Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2024, 06.21 am
    Feb 22, 2024, 06.21 am
    The air box seals against the throttle bodies via O-rings. If, for example, the O-ring for cylinder 2 was damaged or missing it could result in a slight air leak leading to a change in the throttle synchronisation when the box was re-installed. Checking the synchronisation with and without the air box in place might identify such a problem however unlikely.

• Offline DXM33   cs

• Tiger Member  ‐    37

Offline DXM33

• Tiger Member
    Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2024, 12.05 pm
    Feb 22, 2024, 12.05 pm
    Thanks man.. I don't believe that there are o-ring seals on my airbox. That is why I said that I don't believe airbox is completely air sealed because its just plastic sitting on top of throttle bodies.

I will take my airbox off and recheck but I don't remember seeing rubber seals on it.

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    1368

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Jedi
    Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2024, 06.25 am
    Feb 23, 2024, 06.25 am
    The parts diagram below shows the O-rings between the air box and the throttle bodies. I am sure they are ok but it would still be interesting to see whether re-installing the air box alters the throttle synchronisation and if that is the cause of your problems :084:

• Offline DXM33   cs

• Tiger Member  ‐    37

Offline DXM33

• Tiger Member
    Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2024, 11.13 am
    Feb 23, 2024, 11.13 am
    Yeah I saw that there should be o-rings between but I dont remember seeing them on my airbox. Someone probably forgot to put them back when they took the airbox out. I will buy all 3 of them just in case and then I'll take my airbox again and test. 56.74X3.53 are the dimensions of this o-rings and they are cheep (unless you order them from Triumph :D).

• Offline DXM33   cs

• Tiger Member  ‐    37

Offline DXM33

• Tiger Member
    Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2024, 12.40 am
    Feb 27, 2024, 12.40 am
    Ok I got new o-rings and fitted them this evening. There were old ones on it but they were practically fused with the airbox. I was expecting rubber o-rings but they look more like some spongy material. Anyway it wasn't easy but I scrubbed them off, cleaned the whole thing and fitted rubber ones. Doubt that any air will pass this ones. It was late so I couldnt test because my exhaust is too loud and my neighbors would kill me so Ill do it tomorrow during the day.

Somehow I doubt the air seals caused desync and the reason is that I did some testing before I fitted new seals. I synced the throttle bodies and checked. They were fine. But, when I put the bottom of my airbox and air horns back (no air filter and top cover) my throttle bodies were out of sync again.  :138:

Only thing logical to me is that somehow airbox is pressing throttle bodies is some weird way and desync them. I was not using the specified torque on screws but Ill re-screw them again tomorrow with specified torque values. I have no idea what more to try. :187:
    Last Edit: Feb 27, 2024, 12.42 am by DXM33

winded-staunch