Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] ECM blowing fuse after Stator failure and repair  (Read 2220 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

  • Online T800XC   england

    • Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    3074
    • *
      #10

    Online T800XC

    • Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi
    • *
    • Posts: 3074
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 900 RP
    • Country: england
    Re: ECM blowing fuse after Stator failure and repair
    Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2024, 05.55 pm
    Feb 11, 2024, 05.55 pm
    *Originally Posted by OG_Grinskin [+]
    This is very useful information thank you!

    So, just to be extra sure this would apply to this model I'm guessing?

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276054892881?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=sMPrcbkuSBW&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=mkbE1ygVSQ-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

     Also is buying all of those parts the best practice? what  if I bought the individual part, then I'd need it re-coded by a triumph dealership right? So I guess it makes more sense to buy this lot and fit it?
    The same should apply to that set, which looks better than the one I linked to because the ignition switch is intact, although it is more expensive. You may also notice that the sacrificial shear bolts on the ignition switch mount have broken so will need replacing. This is normal.

    The cheaper route might be to just buy just a replacement used ECU (assuming nothing else has got fried) and get a dealer to code it to your bike. Obviously the dealer's time will cost extra on top of the ECU, and you've got to get your bike there.


    One final thing to check.....does the fuse still blow if the instruments (speedo etc) are unplugged?

    ...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

  • Offline OG_Grinskin   gb

    • Tiger Member  ‐    21
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #11

    Offline OG_Grinskin

    • Tiger Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 21
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800xc abs 2013
    • Country: gb
    Re: ECM blowing fuse after Stator failure and repair
    Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2024, 07.57 am
    Feb 12, 2024, 07.57 am
    *Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
    The same should apply to that set, which looks better than the one I linked to because the ignition switch is intact, although it is more expensive. You may also notice that the sacrificial shear bolts on the ignition switch mount have broken so will need replacing. This is normal.

    The cheaper route might be to just buy just a replacement used ECU (assuming nothing else has got fried) and get a dealer to code it to your bike. Obviously the dealer's time will cost extra on top of the ECU, and you've got to get your bike there.


    One final thing to check.....does the fuse still blow if the instruments (speedo etc) are unplugged?


    Right, probably better to get a whole set as I want to be able to check it's fully operational where it is, moving it from the indie garage would be a pain.

    The speedo is one thing I'm not sure on, I'll ask the mechanic today when I get in touch with them, if it is the speedo I've heard it's a simple diode replacement, is this the case?

  • Online T800XC   england

    • Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    3074
    • *
      #12

    Online T800XC

    • Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi
    • *
    • Posts: 3074
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 900 RP
    • Country: england
    Re: ECM blowing fuse after Stator failure and repair
    Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2024, 08.29 am
    Feb 12, 2024, 08.29 am
    *Originally Posted by OG_Grinskin [+]
    ...if it is the speedo I've heard it's a simple diode replacement, is this the case?
    Correct, it's a fairly simple fix.

    I've done a few of these for owners. It's all detailed on this forum but at least one of the diodes I had to order from the US which just adds a bit extra to the shipping charges

    .

    ...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

  • Offline OG_Grinskin   gb

    • Tiger Member  ‐    21
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #13

    Offline OG_Grinskin

    • Tiger Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 21
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800xc abs 2013
    • Country: gb
    Re: ECM blowing fuse after Stator failure and repair
    Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2024, 10.42 am
    Feb 12, 2024, 10.42 am
    *Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
    Correct, it's a fairly simple fix.

    I've done a few of these for owners. It's all detailed on this forum but at least one of the diodes I had to order from the US which just adds a bit extra to the shipping charges

    .

    So after speaking to the garage they've tried without the speedo plugged in and it's still blowing the fuse, also they seem to be fairly confident that the main ECU doesn't need recoding if replaced as it's not linked with the ignition coding and such. I'm not so sure on this bit.

  • Online T800XC   england

    • Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    3074
    • *
      #14

    Online T800XC

    • Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi
    • *
    • Posts: 3074
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 900 RP
    • Country: england
    Re: ECM blowing fuse after Stator failure and repair
    Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2024, 11.14 am
    Feb 12, 2024, 11.14 am
    *Originally Posted by OG_Grinskin [+]
    So after speaking to the garage they've tried without the speedo plugged in and it's still blowing the fuse, also they seem to be fairly confident that the main ECU doesn't need recoding if replaced as it's not linked with the ignition coding and such. I'm not so sure on this bit.
    They 'might' be right as the ignition key codes are stored in the immobiliser. However, at turn-on the ECU & immobiliser run a handshake test over the CAN-bus to confirm that the chip in the key matches the value stored in the immobiliser. The handshake performs some form of 'go / no-go' request from the ECU to the immobiliser.

    I don't have enough information to-hand about this test because it's encrypted so I can't check if any key data is stored in the ECU.


    There are also 2 DTCs to consider:-
    P1508 - lmmobiliser/TPMS control module ID incompatable
    P1520 - ABS modulator ID incompatable

    These DTCs are reporting a mismatch between the ECU & immobiliser (or ABS module) but I think it's just checking if the correct 'type' of immobiliser (or ABS module) is present rather than a specific coded serial number.

    I suppose you could try calling a dealer and ask them the reverse question if it's possible to just replace an immobiliser and key-set without having to recode the ECU. i.e. On the basis that your immobiliser or ignition switch was damaged.



    One other possibility might be a loan of my ECU for you to try. If it works with your keys & immobiliser then you know you only need to buy a new ECU.

    Obviously if my ECU then got damaged you'd have to buy 2 !!  :114:

    ...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

  • Offline D6864   gb

    • Tiger Master  ‐    433
    • ****
      #15

    Offline D6864

    • Tiger Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 433
    • Bike/Model: White XC
    • Country: gb
    Re: ECM blowing fuse after Stator failure and repair
    Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2024, 12.20 pm
    Feb 12, 2024, 12.20 pm
    I'm pretty sure from our previous investigations that you can't swap the ECU without pairing it with the immobiliser, this is what I found from previous component swaps:
    • The immobiliser registers the key(s); it raises DTC L0008 if it detects an unregistered key, lights the alarm warning lamp and does not send the 'ok to start' signal to the ECU so the ECU won't start the engine.
    • The ECU registers the immobiliser; it raises DTC P1508 if it detects a different immobiliser from the one it's expecting, flashes the engine warning lamp and won't start the bike, even if it has received the 'ok to start' signal from the immobiliser.

    You could buy the complete set from eBay, replace your ECU, get it paired with your existing immobiliser and sell on the eBay immobiliser and keys. It's unfortunate that the ECU seems to fail first when reg/recs go wrong.

  • Offline OG_Grinskin   gb

    • Tiger Member  ‐    21
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #16

    Offline OG_Grinskin

    • Tiger Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 21
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800xc abs 2013
    • Country: gb
    Re: ECM blowing fuse after Stator failure and repair
    Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2024, 12.42 pm
    Feb 12, 2024, 12.42 pm
    *Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
    They 'might' be right as the ignition key codes are stored in the immobiliser. However, at turn-on the ECU & immobiliser run a handshake test over the CAN-bus to confirm that the chip in the key matches the value stored in the immobiliser. The handshake performs some form of 'go / no-go' request from the ECU to the immobiliser.

    I don't have enough information to-hand about this test because it's encrypted so I can't check if any key data is stored in the ECU.


    There are also 2 DTCs to consider:-
    P1508 - lmmobiliser/TPMS control module ID incompatable
    P1520 - ABS modulator ID incompatable

    These DTCs are reporting a mismatch between the ECU & immobiliser (or ABS module) but I think it's just checking if the correct 'type' of immobiliser (or ABS module) is present rather than a specific coded serial number.

    I suppose you could try calling a dealer and ask them the reverse question if it's possible to just replace an immobiliser and key-set without having to recode the ECU. i.e. On the basis that your immobiliser or ignition switch was damaged.



    One other possibility might be a loan of my ECU for you to try. If it works with your keys & immobiliser then you know you only need to buy a new ECU.

    Obviously if my ECU then got damaged you'd have to buy 2 !!  :114:

    I think I may just bite the bullet, buy that kit you linked and at least it's a problem ruled out, the problem is my bikes my only transport so I'm kinda on a ticking clock here really since I'm getting busses everywhere to work now.

    I appreciate the offer but it's too much risk of damaging it, and time to check one and order another so it makes the most sense to just get it and go from there. If I need to get it re-coded I called my local triumph dealer and they said it'd be 70 quid to do so that's not awful at least!

  • Offline OG_Grinskin   gb

    • Tiger Member  ‐    21
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #17

    Offline OG_Grinskin

    • Tiger Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 21
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800xc abs 2013
    • Country: gb
    Re: ECM blowing fuse after Stator failure and repair
    Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2024, 05.12 pm
    Feb 13, 2024, 05.12 pm
    *Originally Posted by D6864 [+]
    I'm pretty sure from our previous investigations that you can't swap the ECU without pairing it with the immobiliser, this is what I found from previous component swaps:
    • The immobiliser registers the key(s); it raises DTC L0008 if it detects an unregistered key, lights the alarm warning lamp and does not send the 'ok to start' signal to the ECU so the ECU won't start the engine.
    • The ECU registers the immobiliser; it raises DTC P1508 if it detects a different immobiliser from the one it's expecting, flashes the engine warning lamp and won't start the bike, even if it has received the 'ok to start' signal from the immobiliser.

    You could buy the complete set from eBay, replace your ECU, get it paired with your existing immobiliser and sell on the eBay immobiliser and keys. It's unfortunate that the ECU seems to fail first when reg/recs go wrong.

    Yeah I think thats the best plan, I've bought the set so it's just a case of waiting for it to arrive, taking it down there, and installing it, they think you don't need to code it, but seems it will need it!

  • Offline Stevie.P   gb

    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    5709
    • *****
      #18

    Offline Stevie.P

    • Tiger Jedi
    • *****
    • Posts: 5709
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    • Country: gb
    Re: ECM blowing fuse after Stator failure and repair
    Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2024, 06.56 pm
    Feb 13, 2024, 06.56 pm
    *Originally Posted by OG_Grinskin [+]
    So, I've had a hell of a time with my bike, firstly the stator  went, and must of overvolted bad, it magically toasted the loom, after taking it to a garage to inspect the loom after doing everything j could at work with the BMW techs, they installed a used working loom, everything else is working through it except as soon as they connect the ECM alone, it blows a fuse.

    So now, I need a new ECM ...

    You originally indicated that the stator caused all this turmoil but has the regulator/rectifier definitely been checked, as it hasn't been mentioned, as that would surely have had to fail for the stator output to go on and cause so much damage. :027:
    Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


  • Offline OG_Grinskin   gb

    • Tiger Member  ‐    21
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #19

    Offline OG_Grinskin

    • Tiger Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 21
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800xc abs 2013
    • Country: gb
    Re: ECM blowing fuse after Stator failure and repair
    Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2024, 09.54 pm
    Feb 13, 2024, 09.54 pm
    *Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
    You originally indicated that the stator caused all this turmoil but has the regulator/rectifier definitely been checked, as it hasn't been mentioned, as that would surely have had to fail for the stator output to go on and cause so much damage. :027:

    Yeah I got an aftermarket one with the rewound stator, so that's covered don't worry!