Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: .  (Read 2067 times)

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
Re: Did the math...
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 04:42:52 PM »
if as others have said the US$ equivalent of selling the S10 in the EU/UK is $21,000... and the list price is $16,000, but being sold at $13,000 then there is soemthign seriously out of whack
as said before it could be the US importer is getting a better price from the parent company, is expecting to sell bucket loads of 'em and able to get a list price of $16K
..even the EU sales tax of around 20% doesn't cover all the discrepancy. OK so thats $19,200.. a difference of $1,800 or so., but to be selling at $13,000...

I get the impression that Yamaha, like Triumph are pitching the bike against BMW and using the BM price as there benchmark.

yes I expect companies to establish franchise areas, oftent here are specific agrements as to what you can sell (iin terms of product ranges), thers also incentives to shift x numbers of specific machines. and a lot of that franchise area depends on how the franchisor operates. they may well take a state view in the US. ie we pretend each state is a separate territory.

we have a daft situation in this country where you can buy Jeans from a legit Levi wholesaler outside the EU, however you cannot sell those legit garments in the EU becuase the law says if the importer / manufacturer prohibits / disallows it then they are in effect treated as countrfeit. that means some brands can can use the law to defend their outrageous pricing policies. Sad to realte its really nly companies like Mucky Dees (Macdonalds) that makes an attempt to make their pricing common worldwide.

in the early / mod eighties US companies (especiallyu books, computer / electronics attempted to hold a 1 = 1$ pricing point, when the true rate was 1 = $2.40. so boo0ks costing $35 were priced at 35, instead of the 16 odd that would have been reasonable

Offline burgerking

• Tiger Master
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 05:33:35 PM »
Dual sport/allroad bikes are at the top of the sales charts in the EU, the GS1200 has been no 1 in Germany (and Holland) for years in a row. So I think Yam expects to sell a lot of S10's in the EU regardless of the price. Market in the EU is shifting even more towards allroads and nakeds and getting away from supersports.
In the US....I think they just want to open up the market for themselves and that's why is so cheap (relatively)

Offline Birdy68

• Tiger Master
  • Be prepared to change your plans.
  • Bike: T'Bird & T800XC
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 07:59:16 AM »
I heard from my (Triumph) dealer that the far East manufacturers have suffered this last year to pull their sales! I was told that Yamaha made a 6 million Euro LOSS this last financial year!

My Yamaha dealer stated that small things like both the V-Max and Super Tener are 'purchase on order ONLY' - so he doesn't have any on his showroom floor! Only a demo and that's it. He claims that if he had one or two then he could/would push them easier than having to tell the customer that he'll have to wait after the order has been made!

Only Triumph & BMW made profit last year here in Europe so I believe. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My Triumph dealer also commented that at the KOLN INTERMOTO Show the Suzuki sales boss noted that Suzuki has to LEARN TO START building 'emotions' and NOT just 'Perfect technology'.

:084:
So maybe that's why Yamaha have a killer price!? Maybe they are trying to make up on lost sales?
 :211:

It's interesting though, all the same  :031:
Birdy68
-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
Leave the pork pies for now - get the sausage rolls while they're hot!

Recent Topics