Tiger 800 / 900 - Main Discussion Section > Tiger 800 / 900 - General Discussion

Bantam - tyres

(1/3) > >>

BigMike:
Bantam

re my question on the other thread, I'm interested in a set for the XC. hard packed trails/desert piste. Needs a stiff-ish sidewall but not such an aggressive tread that they can't be hustled on road.  What would you say would be the most suitable combination of front/rear in terms of maxxis?

:031:

OB1:
Hi Mike.

This is the problem that I'm having with Maxxis at the moment: I've put 7,700 miles on the XC since buying it in March, so the Bridgestones need replacing and, as I was really happy with the Supermaxx Sport on my Speed Triple, I wanted to replace the stock tyres with Maxxis. The ideal choice would be the MA-PD Presa Detour which is a dual sport tyre, however, even though the rear 150 will fit the XC, we only import a 19" front (for the GS and others). I have asked the Purchasing Manager if we could bring in the 90/90-21 in that pattern (and I presented a stack of evidence to show that it will sell) and he has requested that pattern from the factory... but it may take a year to arrive! :033: The cogs of industry!

I have looked to see what else we do that is similar and found the M6017 Traxer which comes in a 90/90-21 front... but only goes up to a 140 on the rear... bugger! :023:

As both tyres are of the same compound and made by the same company, it is possible to use the Traxer on the front and the Detour on the rear. I have asked the technical guys and they have no problem with this.

I do a bit of off-road trail riding through Thetford Forest, so I really wanted something a bit more knobbly really. Reluctantly, I have had to go elsewhere and bought a pair of Metzeler Karoo enduro tyres. If you really want the Maxxis, I don't see any reason why you couldn't go for the Traxer/Detour combination.

Hope this helps!?  :027:

BigMike:
yes..and no  :008:  The Presa looks quite similar in style to the anakee 2 ?

Like you I want something a wee bit more knobbly really.  What about an M6006 front and detour rear?  detour still not really aggressive enough. I'm thinking more like heidenau k60..

Tiger Balm:
I just went for TKC80, as had no idea on DS tyres, not fitted yet though

Mitas E10 dont do 17 rear either

OB1:
Originally Posted by BigMike yes..and no  :008:  The Presa looks quite similar in style to the anakee 2 ?

Like you I want something a wee bit more knobbly really.  What about an M6006 front and detour rear?  detour still not really aggressive enough. I'm thinking more like heidenau k60..
I do like the M6006 but it has a tread that is more knobbly than the Detour and would probably feel a little weird. Again, its just a shame that we don't do a 150 rear in the M6006! :027:

Being a Tiger rider and occasional green lane rider, I'm really pushing the fact that we need to expand out adventure style tyre range to keep up with the competition. The problem that I have in trying to convince the powers that be is that they insist that we import 1,000 tyres of each model to make their introduction worth while. I have the chicken and egg problem when it comes to trying to convince them, though: they say that there is no demand for a certain tyre and I argue that the reason is that if we don't have them on the books, then there will be no demand! :033: I am quite sure that the Detour will be available in a matching 90/90-21 and 150/70-17 by the middle to the end of 2012 - rather irritating when nearly every other tyre manufacturer currently supplies tyres that we need!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version