Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Scotoiler  (Read 9622 times)

Offline GringoRojo

• Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
  • Tiger Jedi
  • a Doonhamer in exile
  • Bike: TigerXC ABS
Re: Scotoiler
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
sounds like you maybe overfilled it then. hot was hot?
Countries I've ridden: Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Switzerland, Spain, Andorra, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Canada (hired bike).
Memorable places: Applecross, Barra, Calanish, Lascaux, Pyrenees, Connemara, Tofino, Lillooet, Sulphur Mountain, Nordkapp, Dalsnibba, Borgund stavkirke.

Offline yiannis

• Tiger Master
  • Greece->Seattle->Barcelona
  • Bike: XC ABS
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 09:21:53 PM »
Are you guys using the "special" scotoiler oil in them or regular cheap machine oil?

Offline Ted99uk

• Tiger Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 08:31:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by GringoRojo [+]
sounds like you maybe overfilled it then. hot was hot?
No, not overfilled. You park it on a left hand side side stand with hot summer sun on the number plate and reservoir and see what happens. No problem on a centre-stand.

I use special Scottoil.

Ted.

Offline GringoRojo

• Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
  • Tiger Jedi
  • a Doonhamer in exile
  • Bike: TigerXC ABS
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 12:34:55 AM »
fair enough. I only use the sidestand for short periods, never had a leak like that even when in the Spanish Pyrenees

Sottoil too even tho I know it's expensive.
Countries I've ridden: Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Switzerland, Spain, Andorra, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Canada (hired bike).
Memorable places: Applecross, Barra, Calanish, Lascaux, Pyrenees, Connemara, Tofino, Lillooet, Sulphur Mountain, Nordkapp, Dalsnibba, Borgund stavkirke.

Offline Don T

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: CB1000R & WR250R
Never again a chain driven bike without a Scottoiler.
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 09:02:17 PM »
I have used a Scottoiler (Vsystem) on my last two bikes.
On the first bike (a Versys) I connected a 200ml "lubetube" to the 50ml reservoir to insure that I had enough oil for longer rides/vacations.
When I got the Scottoiler dialed in (well lubed chain with minimum oil elsewhere) I discovered that I didn't need the Lubetube, as I only used about 50ml of oil in 20.000 km of riding.
I know that Scottoiler recommends a lot higher "flow-rate", but as my chain and sprockets were still in good shape when I replaced them at 54.000 km, I believe that they were sufficiently lubricated  :027:
On my current bike (a CB1000R) I have used the same recipe for adjusting the Scottoiler - and at 24.000 km the chain and sprockets looks allmost like new.
I allways use Scottoil by the way.

When I get a Tiger, one of the first things I'll do, will be to mount a Scottoiler.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW - WHAT A RIDE!

Offline Tiger Tale

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 1050 Tiger DR650
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 06:26:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by doughnut [+]
Anyone reckon a Scotoiler will fit on? Or thought about a way to keep the chain in good shape? I am coming from a belt drive BMW, so clearly i dont like messing around with oily stuff
Was the BMW your first ever motorcycle?
There are a few good reasons why chains are still used today.  :481:
The Scott Oiler is a good product for constant wet riding. Very few chain lube products will last long in rain, and forget the sticky gooey crap. Don't use it. The Scott Oiler flows oil constantly, makes a mess but keeps chain oiled and keeps relatively clean by constantly flowing oil which carries away grit. Good choice for wet riding ... but needs to be set up correctly, checked, refilled and regular bike cleaning a must. Too much oil will eventually get on your rear tire. Not good.

In dry environments like here in California we don't need oilers and few use them.
I don't mind cleaning/oiling my chain. Guess I'm used to it. I would 2nd the Dupont Teflon product as a good dry weather lubricant. Does not collect much grit, stays put OK. Not good in wet, will wear off in 5 minutes in real rain.

For cleaning I like WD40. Also, Kerosene or spirits take most chain lube off and also good for cleaning rear wheel, swing arm and such.
Keep off tires ... obviously.  :125:

Modern chains/sprockets are so good ... unlike the bad old days .... that even with zero chain care most of todays chains last ten times what old ones did just from 15 years ago.

Offline Frenchie

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Pro
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 10:56:59 PM »
As a fan of Scottoilers had an interesting conversation on this topic with the service manager at my local triumph dealer who had just carried out the 500 mile service on my roadster. If you fit a Scottoiler Vsystem yourself and cut into the vacuum side of the intake, and anything goes wrong, you have just invalidated  your gaurantee...bugger. If , however, I buy Vsystem from said Triumph dealer, get them to fit it, and then something goes wrong, no problem, they will sort it. If I fit the electronic version which has only battery connections, then no problem, gaurantee stands in all instances.. :155:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 11:06:47 PM by Frenchie »

Offline Seed

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: T800ABS on order
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 11:20:41 PM »
Hi doughnut,

I've got an Acumen electronic oiler on my Bandit 1250 and it's a great product. It operates via a solenoid with a flow rate map that is speed sensitive, so there's no vacuum connection. The lube itself is contained in a canister - when it's empty you just unscrew it and screw in a new one. Takes 30 seconds at most. Also, it doesn't fling onto the rear tyre as much as a Scottoiler. I highly recommend it.
Eschew obfuscation

Offline jenkspj

• Non-Active
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Own an 800 XC ABS - the cat told me to do it.
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC ABS
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 02:06:32 PM »
Have on on the 1050, will have on on the 800XC.
Not the silly computer driven one either.
As long as there is a spare vac port on the throttle body block all will be well.

Offline doughnut

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White T800, ABS
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by Seed [+]
Hi doughnut,

I've got an Acumen electronic oiler on my Bandit 1250 and it's a great product. It operates via a solenoid with a flow rate map that is speed sensitive, so there's no vacuum connection. The lube itself is contained in a canister - when it's empty you just unscrew it and screw in a new one. Takes 30 seconds at most. Also, it doesn't fling onto the rear tyre as much as a Scottoiler. I highly recommend it.

Wasn't aware of them, this looks great, cheers for the tip Seed  :028:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch