Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: not happy  (Read 8439 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline BigMike

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 3478
  • Bike: 800XC
  • Location: NW England
Re: not happy
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 09:38:16 AM »
Allegedly Charley and Ewan actually went through 4 bikes each during the LWR trip and I'm not sure that BMW can really ever be lorded on reliability.  Everyone I know who owns a GS has had problems of various levels of severity, many total breakdowns whilst on trips which culminated in the trip ending. 

Offline GIDEON

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 1626
  • Learn it! Life it! LOVE IT!
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
  • Location: South Africa
Re: not happy
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 09:48:13 AM »
The 1200 will be my next bike. When I grow-up.
Might still be a long time before that happens  :125:
"Horsepower is an illusory Mathematical equation
 Torque is the source of all Good things in the world"
-Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it-

Offline rt001

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 226
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800XC
  • Location: Here
Re: not happy
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 09:52:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by BigMike [+]
Allegedly Charley and Ewan actually went through 4 bikes each during the LWR trip and I'm not sure that BMW can really ever be lorded on reliability.  Everyone I know who owns a GS has had problems of various levels of severity, many total breakdowns whilst on trips which culminated in the trip ending.

I have one, and have not had one issue. I know a lot of GS owners that have had no issues, or very minor issues, none that would involve having to cancel a trip because of a breakdown. There seems to be a lot of GS haters on this forum, but the fact of the matter is that it is the best selling bike in the world of all time. If it was that unreliable, do you think they would have sold so many? Of course not. Like I have said before, you only hear about the ones that have had problems, not the tens of thousands that have been trouble free. :008:

Offline jallen

  • Non-Active
  • Tiger Master
  • *
  • Posts: 339
  • Bike: Tiger 800
  • Location: Luton, England
Re: not happy
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 10:11:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by rt001 [+]
I have one, and have not had one issue. I know a lot of GS owners that have had no issues, or very minor issues, none that would involve having to cancel a trip because of a breakdown. There seems to be a lot of GS haters on this forum, but the fact of the matter is that it is the best selling bike in the world of all time. If it was that unreliable, do you think they would have sold so many? Of course not. Like I have said before, you only hear about the ones that have had problems, not the tens of thousands that have been trouble free. :008:

I don't hate the GS but I do know that a local specialist is kept busy fixing the R1200GS in particular, final drive, fuel pump or relay (I think) were the main issues he deals with regularly. That said he only gets to fix the broken ones.

Offline thud

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 242
  • Bike: triumph sp trip
  • Location: somerset
Re: not happy
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 11:28:59 AM »
I dont think I ever said I hated the GS, but have only stated that they are not as reliable as people are led to believe. An awful lot of people buy Land Rover's and they also break down with alarming regularity, but they keep selling. If you say Land Rover or BMW people think they are reliable and without fault, but based on my own experiences that is not the case.

Offline Goulash

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 706
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
  • Location: Brighton
Re: not happy
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 12:39:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by rt001 [+]
There seems to be a lot of GS haters on this forum, but the fact of the matter is that it is the best selling bike in the world of all time

Clearly not up on your motorcycling history then as i had to laugh loudly at your comment. Look up the Honda Supercub, most successful bike ever made. It's been in manufacture since 1958 and has sold over 60 million units worldwide. How many GS's did you say were sold?  :008:

I personally don't hate GS's as i've toured many places on them. I still find them heavy and a bit unreliable which is why i don't own one.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 12:41:16 PM by Goulash »
"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."

Offline BigMike

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 3478
  • Bike: 800XC
  • Location: NW England
Re: not happy
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 01:26:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by rt001 [+]
I have one, and have not had one issue. I know a lot of GS owners that have had no issues, or very minor issues, none that would involve having to cancel a trip because of a breakdown. There seems to be a lot of GS haters on this forum, but the fact of the matter is that it is the best selling bike in the world of all time. If it was that unreliable, do you think they would have sold so many? Of course not. Like I have said before, you only hear about the ones that have had problems, not the tens of thousands that have been trouble free. :008:

I'm not a "GS hater" at all. Far from it, if I wanted one I'd have one, but the many reliability issues I've heard about first hand put me off it long ago.

Offline rt001

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 226
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800XC
  • Location: Here
Re: not happy
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 02:33:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Goulash [+]
Look up the Honda Supercub, most successful bike ever made.

Isn't that a moped?! :008:

I'm talking about proper bikes! :150:

Offline thud

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 242
  • Bike: triumph sp trip
  • Location: somerset
Re: not happy
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 03:25:49 PM »
I thought the Honda Super Cub had a 3speed manual gearbox, so therefore not a moped, besides I would bet money the little Honda has been more places , more reliably than the GS.

Offline rt001

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 226
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800XC
  • Location: Here
Re: not happy
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 03:32:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by thud [+]
I thought the Honda Super Cub had a 3speed manual gearbox, so therefore not a moped, besides I would bet money the little Honda has been more places , more reliably than the GS.

It'll probably be more reliable than our Tigers as well in that case. :008:

Let's all sell our Tigers and get Super cubs. :152:

 


winded-staunch