Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 12,000 Mile Service - anyone had one yet?  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Dex

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
12,000 Mile Service - anyone had one yet?
« on: November 28, 2011, 12:07:08 AM »
I'll be booking mine in for it's 12k service very shortly (had to stop using it for the last two months as I don't want to run over)

Just wondered if anyone else had had one yet, how much it cost and if there were other parts needed replacing at the same time? (Possibly brake pads?)

I'll be fitting my 2nd front tyre and 3rd rear at the same time, I replaced the original rear with another of the OE when it was due so it matched the front - have just ordered a pair of Conti Trail Attack to replace. Will be nice to have round/round rather than round/flat tyres!
***There are few of life's problems which can't be solved with sufficient application of High Explosive***

Offline seldor

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC ABS
Re: 12,000 Mile Service - anyone had one yet?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 06:39:24 PM »
Well, the 12k (miles) service is already a bigger one, theoretically the valves should be checked which according to my dealer takes a bit longer than on other bikes - the tiger appears not to be too service friendly apparently.
You might chose not to do that check but then it's always your choice; my mechanican just told me that they never had to adjust one of those bikes in the 12k service, even daytonas and speed triples et all that have been on the race track often, but you never know... But not doing it would probably save you 1-2h of work.
Brake pads etc, I can't say, it all depends on your riding. My pads are still quite ok at 11k and I'm on my second set of tyres (the original tyres were replaced with 7k with the front tyre being much more used.. !?), the tourances (non-exp) I've now on will still be good for another 2k or so I guess.
In addition the 12k service includes of course the oil change but also the air filter, spark plugs and coolant fluid change. So you see it's quite a big one and won't be too cheap....

Seldor

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 07:33:19 PM »
I'll do most of it myself and just get them to check the valves. Oil & filter not exactly hard on the tiger. Apart plugs. I'll check them but I already fitted iridiums.  Coolant change just needs a bit of time.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline BikerBob

• Non-Active
  • Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 08:04:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dex [+]
have just ordered a pair of Conti Trail Attack to replace. Will be nice to have round/round rather than round/flat tyres!

Be interested to hear how you get on; last time I checked the Conti website I was under the impression that whilst they had the right size for the front the speed rating wasn't high enough?

Had Conti's on my KTM 990 and was very impressed with them.

Regards Bob

Offline Dex

• Tiger Master
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 08:42:38 PM »
I appreciate the 12k service is a big one - valves and all! That's why I wondered if anyone had had any quotes yet for what they were expecting.

I do most of my own servicing (and modifications!) on cars and bikes, but at least for the first year I'm getting this one serviced at my dealer so there's no arguments if there's any problems and I need to make a warranty claim.

They won't need to do the air filter as I've got an aftermarket one in there, I know plugs will need doing as they were checked but not changed at 6k. I appreciate the valve clearances are very unlikely to need doing - but it's a new model, so I'll not be the one to make assumptions!

As for the Trail Attacks - to be honest I haven't even checked the speed rating. I decided if they are good enough for a 1200GS (with it's extra weight and power) then they're unlikely to struggle on the Tiger. I wanted the most road biased of all the dual purpose tyres, and the Trail Attack is known for having a very deep tread - since I do a lot of commuting miles I wear out the middle of my tyres first, so I'd rather the tyre got square and unrideable before I lost all the centre tread and got points.
***There are few of life's problems which can't be solved with sufficient application of High Explosive***

Offline jallen

• Non-Active
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 09:21:24 PM »
Fowlers of Bristol quote over 400 for the 12000 mile service on a Tiger 800.

Total Prices Including VAT

12,000miles
 24months

Offline Dex

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 09:39:14 PM »
AH cool that's handy - It gives me a start point for talking to my local dealer (especially since Fowlers is near enough that I could go there if my local dealer didn't want to play ball!)

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 01:16:06 PM »
About what BS Bikes/ Staffs Triumph quote, but they're a bit vague on price, according to Healdem they'll knock a fair bit off for not putting half a bucket of Silkolene Fully Synth in, if you do the oil change yourself with something a bit more sensible  :028:

Only at 8,000, so could be end of Feb before I find out  :084:
Now available in "Batman"

Recent Topics

winded-staunch