Poll

Which ride do you want to do?

Tarmac
Green Lanes

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Road or Green Lanes Ride  (Read 2078 times)

Online healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
Re: Road or Green Lanes Ride
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 08:29:27 AM »
 :028: good points and well made

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: R1200GS, CRF250L
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 07:36:44 PM »
Good summary from Hartsideman.

Offers of help are also very much appreciated. Since HM and Big Mike have volunteered to sort and lead a couple of ride outs, I 'm not sure there's much more to do presently. However, if anyone would like to express their interest in in helping in some way, please PM me.

Offline GringoRojo

• Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
  • Tiger Jedi
  • a Doonhamer in exile
  • Bike: TigerXC ABS
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 01:47:45 PM »
following BigMike's injury and probable no show - are we now down to just the road ride?
Countries I've ridden: Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Switzerland, Spain, Andorra, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Canada (hired bike).
Memorable places: Applecross, Barra, Calanish, Lascaux, Pyrenees, Connemara, Tofino, Lillooet, Sulphur Mountain, Nordkapp, Dalsnibba, Borgund stavkirke.

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: R1200GS, CRF250L
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 02:04:14 PM »
By default , yes we are. There hasn't been much interest in the off road experience, which surprised me a little. With BigMike out of the picture, the road riding will be the focus this time, unless there's some last minute flurry of interest.

I've not pushed it either because the lead rider needs to have local knowledge to ensure the tracks used are not too technical. I don't know anyone else from that area with the same passion as Mike for the off-road stuff.

Maybe we need to organise a specific ride out to give people a chance to do some easy off-roading. The bike is quite capable but , personally, I would not take it where I go with my KTM. There must be other "easy" trails about though. We ought to start building a database of good "Tiger-friendly" trails around the country. When I started off-roading with my KTM, one of the biggeswt problems was finding where I could ride that was legal, fun and within my capability.
Food for thought...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:05:51 PM by Rocket »

Offline BigMike

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 02:37:35 PM »
Ron, to be honest, that's what the TRF is for. I don't like the idea of publishing a database of lanes on an open website, it gets used by the wrong type of people who frankly are too lazy to find them on their own. They then abuse them, drive off-track and create all kinds of problems for us law abiding riders and drivers (not saying anyone here would do that but TRF is the resource to use for green lanes, and being a member supports our continued use of them).

I am happy to create a tiger friendly GPX route to be lead by someone responsible and experienced. There's only one lane in the area that springs to mind which is not really suitable for the tiger, but then again, some of the others are quite rocky, though easily passable by anyone with some offroad experience.  It definitely would not be suitable for someone who's never ridden offroad though and it's important that's understood and adhered to.  There are some fairly steep ascents and descents on loose surfaces, some rock, a small amount of mud and a good few ruts so anyone doing it should be comfortable in those situations.  Tyres should be minimum TKC80's unless it's been very dry but realistically, this is the lakes, so I would strongly suggest TKC80's or more aggressive.

Offline GringoRojo

• Tiger Jedi
  • a Doonhamer in exile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 03:39:07 PM »
therein lies a few of the/my problems:
I have no experience other than gravel roads (and no chance really up here of expanding that)
should I join the TRF? as far as I know they don't/can't extend up here. (I fully get the reasons for non disclosure of lanes btw)
I've only got Anakee2's and getting more serious rubber for a half day trip isn't viable.

really, I was hoping for a beginners lesson on the cheap as it were, as I can't afford/justify a trip to mid wales for one of the various courses.  :001: :034:

no bother though, I'm happy with the road ride if that's all that's practicable.
Countries I've ridden: Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Switzerland, Spain, Andorra, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Canada (hired bike).
Memorable places: Applecross, Barra, Calanish, Lascaux, Pyrenees, Connemara, Tofino, Lillooet, Sulphur Mountain, Nordkapp, Dalsnibba, Borgund stavkirke.

Offline BigMike

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 04:05:32 PM »
Not sure it's the time or place for a lesson really, but understand where you're coming from.

I know you said about the wales courses etc but the value of those is actually really good - either the bmw offroad (expensive) or two days with craig bounds and tamsin jones (much cheaper and brilliant) would give you the building blocks required for riding offroad.  Don't get me wrong, I am not expert off road rider at all, I just love it and the more you do the better you get.  I've done some stuff with Craig and Tamsin and can't praise them enough. Friends have done the bmw course and they speak highly of that but it's a lot more money.  Also both Craig and tamsin taught at the bmw place for a number of years so the training is basically the same.  On the face of it it looks expensive, but one to one with guys like them is invaluable - not just the fact they're both bloody good riders, but they're excellent instructors as well.

Offline SelinaXC

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Black XC & WR400
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by GringoRojo [+]

really, I was hoping for a beginners lesson on the cheap as it were, as I can't afford/justify a trip to mid wales for one of the various courses.  :001: :034:

If you're ever down this way Gringo I can take you round the 'easy' tracks in the Derbyshire Dales, though I wouldn't be taking my Tiger on any that are much harder than the gravel tracks you're used to anyroad really.
Back in Black - XC#2 picked up 13/08/2011
RIP XC#1 26/04/11 - 01/07/2011

Offline D8ona

• Tiger Jedi
  • I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • Bike: 865 Scrambler
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 10:08:44 PM »
tarmac for me at the mo and voted accordingly...gringo im going to see what offroading i can find up here to break in easily.. i do a bit of (very easy) mountain biking and am amazed when dirt bikes go screaming past on some tracks..legal? i have no idea but plenty forestry trails etc also looking at bmw course but interested in other options
There's someone in my head but its not me..?
Ducati MTS 950 - Monster 1100 Evo - Zed900RS - Scrambler 900 - 1998 Daytona 900 - 1997 Ducati ST2

Offline GringoRojo

• Tiger Jedi
  • a Doonhamer in exile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2012, 12:51:23 AM »
D8ona, I've compiled a short list of the open to the public forest drives available up here:  forest drives in Scotland
Be interested to see what else you find though.

Selina, that would be great - dunno when I'll be down that way though. But I will be in the Yorkshire Dales on the jubilee bank holiday weekend at a bike meet (Fazer owner's club).

Cheers Mike, useful info. Not in the near future though, too many other 'financial priorities".
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 01:00:08 AM by GringoRojo »

winded-staunch