Tiger 800 / 900 - Main Discussion Section > ECU Re-Mapping and Tuning

Unauthorised ECU Modifications and Warranty Claims

(1/11) > >>

DeanRider:
Important Notice: To all users of TuneBoy and TuneECU :260:

The Triumph factory has this week issued a clear workshop instruction to its global dealer network with respect to warranty claims resulting from unauthorized ECU modifications which override the original factory approved parameters of an o/e tune map while retaining its original tune number. Such unapproved modifications include increasing the rev limiter range, fueling, and the adjustment of the ignition timing without the use of an additional control unit.

From now on, all warranty claims for suspect ECU faults or engine damage will only be authorized after the ECU has been thoroughly checked by the factory. In this regard, on all its new models, Triumph has included an anti-tamper facility within the ECU which has the ability to detect when non o/e software has been downloaded. This recorded information can only be read by the factory.

:211: Be Warned Triumph will reject all warranty claims for any ECU returned to the factory that has recorded any unauthorised tunes. As a result, the use of any non-approved modifications will invalidate your warranty. In addition, the factory points out that homologation and type approval could also be affected and in some instances result in the invalidation of a riderís insurance in the event of a claim!

Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod
My skeertuig is vol palings

paul_o:
Wow - that's not ideal. Does this include pc5?  Martin??

Have a cup of tea:
I suspect that this is Triumph bowing down a bit to the pressures of the EU regarding antitamper / modifications and to cover there arse with the insurance providers. If all you did was up date the ECU to the standard Triumph release maps I would hope that you would not get a problem. Obviuosly if you change the parameters out of the manufacturers recommendation I would agree to the warranty being void.,  e.g. if you raised the rpm to high and the engine overheated and siezed how can triumph be liable for that.

At least the have not said the are going to lock the ECU down. Basically mess with it at your risk. Though I am sure that if this was a bit of windows software even the antitamper would have been hacked befor it even came into production.

Tiger Balm:
If you use a tuneboy to instal the correct code map that triumph use, so you get an arrow can and put the triumph tune on yourself via a third party, or a later map that triumph may release, because your dealer wants to charge for this????

What the case there please.

healdem:
Originally Posted by Tiger Balm If you use a tuneboy to instal the correct code map that triumph use, so you get an arrow can and put the triumph tune on yourself via a third party, or a later map that triumph may release, because your dealer wants to charge for this????

What the case there please.

I can understand the corporate ass covering going on (ie Triumph seek to protect themselves from warranty claims if its not done "right"

Unless they have some special switch which knows if the upload has been done by a competent person then they will fall foul of the EU legislation on servicing / maintaining of bikes. No manufacturer can insist on a customer having to use their dealer network to maintain the bike. But if the customer has the work done elsewhere then it must be by a "competent person / organisation". They can insist on you using Genuine parts or parts of equivalent quality usuallyindicated by the same or higher standards accreditation (eg the same or higher JASOL oil standard and so on)

I don't think competent person / organisation has been throroughly defined. it used to be thought that a VAT registered garage was indicative of a competent organisation.

If you want to fit a secondhand arrow can to your bike then fine, but If I were you and you were concerned by this I'd take it in when the bike is being serviced and get the tune downloaded for nominal or near nominal /no cost in discussions with the dealer. its fair and reasonable for them to charge for their workshop time

I do wonder if future generations of ECU's will become 'smarter' and take note of events that coudl affect warranty (eg sustained high RPM in temperature, redlined at... and so on). or mebbe I'm just being overly paranoid...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version