Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Unauthorised ECU Modifications and Warranty Claims  (Read 26734 times)

Offline BigMike

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC
Re: Unauthorised ECU Modifications and Warranty Claims
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 05:48:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by DeanRider [+]
The commercially available Dealertool only reads and clears DTCs. As far as I am aware, it does not clear the freeze frame data capture required by the Triumph factory. Furthermore, the anti-tamper facility within the ECU which detects and records when non o/e software has been downloaded can only be read by the factory.

I'm sure that's true, but guys who clock cars and bikes wouldn't be in business if they left a trace in the ECU so my bet is the software is already in existence to wipe traces of maps off should one want to do it (and pay for it)

I asked about data such as rpm and mph, mpg etc and was categorically told by the head of service at my dealer than the ecu is not capable of storing such things.  The discussion stemmed from my asking about running in etc.

As Dilbert said, this just sounds like hysteria to me in light of the EU, and Triumph trying to be all PC about it.  Anyway, who has a link to this "announcement" from Triumph?

Offline DeanRider

• Tiger Member
  • TuneECU Freeware Rocks!
  • Bike: 2006 Tiger 955i
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 06:20:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by BigMike [+]
Anyway, who has a link to this "announcement" from Triumph?

Triumph made the 'announcement' through its Technical News Bulletin Issue #132 February 2012, a publication marked  'strictly confidential' distributed to its global dealers only.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 08:56:59 AM »
As long as you're just changing the tune or clearing the MIL or setting the bodies, functions that probably 95% of us use dealertool/tuneecu for then you won't have a problem.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline DeanRider

• Tiger Member
  • TuneECU Freeware Rocks!
  • Bike: 2006 Tiger 955i
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 09:20:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan :460: [+]
As long as you're just changing the tune or clearing the MIL or setting the bodies, functions that probably 95% of us use dealertool/tuneecu for then you won't have a problem.

Triumph will not be troubled by DealerTool as it has very limited functionality against that of TuneECU or Tuneboy, both of which give full access to the fuel and ignition tables as well as rev limiter etc., etc. Where the commercial product DealerTool scores is in its uncomplicated ability (because of the different OBD protocols it utilizes) to reset the service indicator and assist with the bleeding of  ABS brakes.  Hence, for the owner who simply wants to check DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes), reset the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp), or simply bleed ABS brakes, the 60.00 + P&P DealerTool is an exceptional home tool. For the expert tuner, TuneBoy and TuneECU are the only true options, with TuneECU stealing the lead by having a more modern and user-friendly interface, a comprehensive database of the latest OEM and custom tune maps, and of course the real deal-closer: It is freeware!  :047:

For more information see:

TuneECU homesite: http://www.tomhamburg.net/
DealerTool homesite: http://dealertool.web.officelive.com/default.htm

Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod
My skeertuig is vol palings
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:25:57 AM by DeanRider »

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 07:43:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by DeanRider [+]
Triumph will not be troubled by DealerTool as it has very limited functionality against that of TuneECU or Tuneboy, both of which give full access to the fuel and ignition tables as well as rev limiter etc., etc. Where the commercial product DealerTool scores is in its uncomplicated ability (because of the different OBD protocols it utilizes) to reset the service indicator and assist with the bleeding of  ABS brakes.  Hence, for the owner who simply wants to check DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes), reset the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp), or simply bleed ABS brakes, the 60.00 + P&P DealerTool is an exceptional home tool. For the expert tuner, TuneBoy and TuneECU are the only true options, with TuneECU stealing the lead by having a more modern and user-friendly interface, a comprehensive database of the latest OEM and custom tune maps, and of course the real deal-closer: It is freeware!  :047:

For more information see:

TuneECU homesite: http://www.tomhamburg.net/
DealerTool homesite: http://dealertool.web.officelive.com/default.htm

Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod
My skeertuig is vol palings

[pedantic mode]TuneECU / TuneBoy don't give full access to the tune, just enough access to enable tuning.  If we had "full" access we would be drowning in data[/pedantic mode]

But I known what you mean  :417:
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline thud

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: triumph sp trip
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 11:07:38 AM »
Can you change to the 'Arrow' fuel map with dealer tool or do you need tuneboy/tune ecu? :031:

Offline BigMike

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 11:15:44 AM »
You need tune ecu.  It's free.

But if you have the standard can there is no benefit to doing that, you'll just bugger up your fuel consumption

Offline thud

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 03:13:33 PM »
You need tune ecu.  It's free.

But if you have the standard can there is no benefit to doing that, you'll just bugger up your fuel consumption
Thanks for that I need good fuel figures, 110 mile round trip to work, I only wondered because I will be fitting a 'FUEL' midi exhaust when I pick the bike up, I guess the ecu can re-map itself for the freer flowing can :031:

Offline BigMike

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 03:44:01 PM »
No they don't do that at the "can end". The sensor is in the header just upstream of the cat so it can't know what can you have on (that's my understanding anyway)

Offline thud

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 11:35:19 AM »
No they don't do that at the "can end". The sensor is in the header just upstream of the cat so it can't know what can you have on (that's my understanding anyway)
Cheers for the input, I understand what you are saying about the sensor (lambda?) being upstream, but if the exhaust system is freer flowing then the gases would flow faster therefore the mixture would change, or not?

Recent Topics